lack of proper maintenane yet sold CPO, really???

Or it might depend on severity of the accident. Like what happened to ours where someone backed into it and dented the door panel. Vs something at a higher speed with airbags deployed and likely structural damages. But I dunno how you would clearly define that.

Yeah hopefully that's the case. Once you get into structural territory, that's when cars start having random unexplainable issues even after they've been repaired. I should keep looking and see if I can find any CPOs where the airbag deployed (sometimes that's in the Carfax). Wish you could filter listings specifically for cars with accidents LOL.

With my personal experience with my CPO CX-5, in Im going to be honest. Mazda does not care what the dealerships certify as long as it meets the model year and mileage restrictions. The inspection being performed sounds promising, but in my case things were obviously passed that shouldnt have been that later caused issues. Mazda doesnt enforce their dealerships very well even after complaints. When I took my car in for service at a different dealership than I purchased it, they had no idea it was even Certified. A call to Mazda also confirmed they did not have any record of my car being certified. The dealership claims to have forgot to file the paperwork with Mazda. When they corrected it, the purchase date was wrong and the date they claimed to have inspected the car was after I had purchased the car. Mazda doesnt care, and in my case I got a problematic car. The CPO status is truly just an extended warranty with a label to make you feel like youre getting a good car, it gives you no legal rights if the car is a lemon. I recommend taking the CPO label with a grain of salt and have the vehicle properly inspected independently before purchasing.

Always Buyer Beware. Used cars can be a minefield and the CPO warranty while useful is just a selling point.

New cars are just as much of a mine field. I actually consider them WORSE, because a CPO has been driven/used, and the issues fixed. A new car is like a new pistol...you gonna just load that up and carry it? A CPO is like a pistol with 2000 rounds through it that functions fine, or was fixed early on if it didn't. I'd be much more inclined to trust that.

New cars are just as much of a mine field. I actually consider them WORSE, because a CPO has been driven/used, and the issues fixed. A new car is like a new pistol...you gonna just load that up and carry it? A CPO is like a pistol with 2000 rounds through it that functions fine, or was fixed early on if it didn't. I'd be much more inclined to trust that.

That's a good point. But at least with NEW you know the complete history.

With my personal experience with my CPO CX-5, in I’m going to be honest. Mazda does not care what the dealerships certify as long as it meets the model year and mileage restrictions. The inspection being performed sounds promising, but in my case things were obviously passed that shouldn’t have been that later caused issues. Mazda doesn’t enforce their dealerships very well even after complaints. When I took my car in for service at a different dealership than I purchased it, they had no idea it was even Certified. A call to Mazda also confirmed they did not have any record of my car being certified. The dealership claims to have forgot to file the paperwork with Mazda. When they corrected it, the purchase date was wrong and the date they claimed to have inspected the car was after I had purchased the car. Mazda doesn’t care, and in my case I got a problematic car. The CPO status is truly just an extended warranty with a label to make you feel like you’re getting a good car, it gives you no legal rights if the car is a lemon. I recommend taking the CPO label with a grain of salt and have the vehicle properly inspected independently before purchasing.

That's unfortunate, to say the least.

Earlier in this thread someone posted a link to a blank CPO checklist which included mention of maintenance history; the dealer had to verify that complete maintenance history existed or they couldn't certify a car. When I requested this checklist from some dealers recently (for specific vehicles), that mention was missing from the form. I did try calling Mazda to ask them to send me a copy of the "official" CPO checklist, but there was like a 7 hour estimated wait time on the phone lol.

I would completely disagree with the comment about new. After all those used cars start out new and might be the ones people are dumping because of problems...... the problem is you just don’t know.

But honestly car reliability is generally a lot better than it used to be a couple decades ago. Well as long as it isn’t FCA car.

I would completely disagree with the comment about new. After all those used cars start out new and might be the ones people are dumping because of problems...... the problem is you just don’t know.

But honestly car reliability is generally a lot better than it used to be a couple decades ago. Well as long as it isn’t FCA car.

Totally in agreement. Trying to compare used cars to new is stretching things.

Back