Fast Mazda

To be fair, that's more a problem with CUV's and people's odd preference of them over better (hatchback and wagon) cars on this continent than a problem with Mazda or their CUV's. People want taller, heavier, AWD vehicles that get 30+MPG like the FWD cars they used to buy and...

I'm not sure it's odd. I just find wagons to be butt ugly, period. Hatchbacks are more tolerable, but I prefer the dimensions of a CX-5 over a 3 hatchback for looks anyway. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong, but it is what it is, and the market reflects that.

You are definitely correct in saying the wagons and hatchbacks will pull better numbers, but I'd rather drive my CX-5 with worse numbers then drive around in a wagon, or going back a few posts, a minivan.

I'm not sure it's odd. I just find wagons to be butt ugly, period. Hatchbacks are more tolerable, but I prefer the dimensions of a CX-5 over a 3 hatchback for looks anyway. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong, but it is what it is, and the market reflects that.

You are definitely correct in saying the wagons and hatchbacks will pull better numbers, but I'd rather drive my CX-5 with worse numbers then drive around in a wagon, or going back a few posts, a minivan.

Case in point ^^^

(rlaugh)

*Puts on bulletproof suit*

He's got a point though. That Pacifica minivan absolutely smokes a CX-5, which should never happen to any Mazda. I don't think Unobtanium is hating on Mazda, I think he might be discouraged by how slow they've become.

The FD was almost as fast as a Viper and cornered way better. The Mazdaspeed Protege was the quickest FWD car Road and Track ever tested (at the time) through the slalom...the MS3 was a cool little sleeper among giant EVO spoilers and STi scoops, the Miata brought back a complete segment of automobiles.

Now all we get is 3 nearly identical CUVs that look great but don't really do anything that well.

Exactly. Mazda killed their performance cars, save the miata, which is a great car but not fast.

I remkeber when I bought my cx5. The only things people said were that its fast and handled well. That's why people here bought them. Now all....you know. Now its the opposite. People and crowds...short memory.

Last edited:
Exactly. Mazda killed their performance cars, save the miata, which is a great car but not fast.

I remkeber when I bought my cx5. The only things people said were that its fast and handled well. That's why people here bought them. Now all....you know. Now its the opposite. People and crowds...short memory.

Fast around a track/winding road and fast in a 1/4 mile/straight line aren't the same thing.

Yeah, but the Pacifica minivan smokes it through the cones too. (pissed) And braking. And you can couple your phone to it.

Don't get me wrong; I love Mazdas and have for decades, but they'd better step it up with the next refresh. Give us fanboys something to cheer about!

Something like the RX Vision.

Back