Survived a blizzard. Thank you, Mazda!

:
2016 CX-5 AWD Touring
I know we've talked about winter tires and AWD all the time, but being able to drive 30 miles home safely in the middle of a Minnesota blizzard last week makes me appreciate the car a lot more. Just want to say thanks to all the helpful advices from this forum, I've learned a lot.

Most of the activities were cancelled before the storm, except a karate black-belt exam that ended 2 hours after it started snowing heavily. It was a long drive through the local roads before being able to get to the highway, and I was basically looking at the GPS map only, couldn't see anything beyond 10-15ft ahead. Saw so many cars got stuck couldn't climb a highway cross, or in the ditch, and at least 4 cars spun in front on my eyes.

Winter tires made all the differences (Blizzak DM-V2 on mine). For the whole winter, it's proven to be reliable, I've never lost control even on black ice. AWD was also really good, so many times I thoughts I got buried in the thick snow, the car felt like floating on cotton but I made it out easily. One common problem during the storm is the thick snow causing problem for FWD to climb the ramp or highway crossing, and the more they spin the wheels in place, the more it compresses the snow creating slushes, which is even more slippery. Most of them backed out and ramped in to get momentum, but eventually had to find a different route, or spun out to the side.

Remember Mazda's ice academy with a scenario where they set up people to drive up a hill, stop, then turn right to show how AWD of the other brands don't work? That's a pretty common situation where people got stuck here: you turn from a small road to a big road, stop there for the light/traffic then couldn't turn because of the hill or the snow bank created by the plowing on the big road. I had to make 6 turns like that, just so glad Mazda's AWD worked. My sister-in-law confirmed that her Corolla got stuck at one the turns almost everytime it snows.

Driving on thick snow, even in straight line, the car would start drifting slightly to the sides from time to time, and to be able to feel it and ease the throttle in time was crucial. Comparing to the CX-5, I hate the Accord so much in that regard, the steering feels so numb and floaty despite it's riding on the XI3. I hope Mazda will always keep their priority on driving-experience, that's how they're different from the moving-appliances.

Anyway, it was a beautiful sunny 60 degree yesterday finally. Enjoyed the whole day changing oil for the Accord, swapping back all-season tires for both cars (still aching from carrying the 16 wheels up and down the stairs), cleaning the inside (the Husky liners were so dirty, took quite a good scrub), and washing the cars with cheap Turtle-wax.

jnLDYjH-95j5Yq9BKzTf7yCr-gLoOUyw1EbaTRJIbyz3EaFEEjgDDvGc_1eeDmTnSESsmPjsGgnN_VkZL3i7TTIFYqXN3hM7a8djHg-9bAiBa7QZi_20FXL7rNctszEDXWHK2ZUfpgCQviJ6U91KyW6_GkWD2f81zUoSx5D7l6Mr7WUIsl_m9bklz4432pPg3jPNwz654OJ365uRo-E3UEHxjR2e9PRPbESnpqe6-Uvx44WOKcj5DRXWGAjyqZX0Fn0sri_Kasf7BlwSSKb1dSZDG2_E2PgZDtuwKkh7jPuRluFzfyh0S_XBiF5uSlp_fq_LKqPSBWNQmKU6kl--kBytODL7gcYOeENLSrKXBTuqNvYjUIMxuA9nv3XpRCSWnpQQlB4RqO-tiHqObLG4Iq_hcW5OO40yyvLavwiNsj_if8_4xnjMZfJfWhX528HWlZbKK56k2dglpAGOuw8SQftT-GqgWZ214ZbPgd9wnqN5YQXcTVDfptr69lwI4l-Ab8On6JantzQFqPEWgVu7F9jLq8C_XWaGxSpkjvldybqHUPQeqNIjPM8-o2MLdLvVp996s3Q4Erbn6qiaT9ofdpeelMpP6Cpo2KgmZwI2wjA48Typo0q-FO8s2Bu6zfQ7wnmtYEBXBpXtqMr0PBkI_nU-icvwzgbfiA=w1024-h649-no

I know we've talked about winter tires and AWD all the time, but being able to drive 30 miles home safely in the middle of a Minnesota blizzard last week makes me appreciate the car a lot more. Just want to say thanks to all the helpful advices from this forum, I've learned a lot.

Most of the activities were cancelled before the storm, except a karate black-belt exam that ended 2 hours after it started snowing heavily. It was a long drive through the local roads before being able to get to the highway, and I was basically looking at the GPS map only, couldn't see anything beyond 10-15ft ahead. Saw so many cars got stuck couldn't climb a highway cross, or in the ditch, and at least 4 cars spun in front on my eyes.

Winter tires made all the differences (Blizzak DM-V2 on mine). For the whole winter, it's proven to be reliable, I've never lost control even on black ice. AWD was also really good, so many times I thoughts I got buried in the thick snow, the car felt like floating on cotton but I made it out easily. One common problem during the storm is the thick snow causing problem for FWD to climb the ramp or highway crossing, and the more they spin the wheels in place, the more it compresses the snow creating slushes, which is even more slippery. Most of them backed out and ramped in to get momentum, but eventually had to find a different route, or spun out to the side.

Remember Mazda's ice academy with a scenario where they set up people to drive up a hill, stop, then turn right to show how AWD of the other brands don't work? That's a pretty common situation where people got stuck here: you turn from a small road to a big road, stop there for the light/traffic then couldn't turn because of the hill or the snow bank created by the plowing on the big road. I had to make 6 turns like that, just so glad Mazda's AWD worked. My sister-in-law confirmed that her Corolla got stuck at one the turns almost everytime it snows.

Driving on thick snow, even in straight line, the car would start drifting slightly to the sides from time to time, and to be able to feel it and ease the throttle in time was crucial. Comparing to the CX-5, I hate the Accord so much in that regard, the steering feels so numb and floaty despite it's riding on the XI3. I hope Mazda will always keep their priority on driving-experience, that's how they're different from the moving-appliances.

Anyway, it was a beautiful sunny 60 degree yesterday finally. Enjoyed the whole day changing oil for the Accord, swapping back all-season tires for both cars (still aching from carrying the 16 wheels up and down the stairs), cleaning the inside (the Husky liners were so dirty, took quite a good scrub), and washing the cars with cheap Turtle-wax.

jnLDYjH-95j5Yq9BKzTf7yCr-gLoOUyw1EbaTRJIbyz3EaFEEjgDDvGc_1eeDmTnSESsmPjsGgnN_VkZL3i7TTIFYqXN3hM7a8djHg-9bAiBa7QZi_20FXL7rNctszEDXWHK2ZUfpgCQviJ6U91KyW6_GkWD2f81zUoSx5D7l6Mr7WUIsl_m9bklz4432pPg3jPNwz654OJ365uRo-E3UEHxjR2e9PRPbESnpqe6-Uvx44WOKcj5DRXWGAjyqZX0Fn0sri_Kasf7BlwSSKb1dSZDG2_E2PgZDtuwKkh7jPuRluFzfyh0S_XBiF5uSlp_fq_LKqPSBWNQmKU6kl--kBytODL7gcYOeENLSrKXBTuqNvYjUIMxuA9nv3XpRCSWnpQQlB4RqO-tiHqObLG4Iq_hcW5OO40yyvLavwiNsj_if8_4xnjMZfJfWhX528HWlZbKK56k2dglpAGOuw8SQftT-GqgWZ214ZbPgd9wnqN5YQXcTVDfptr69lwI4l-Ab8On6JantzQFqPEWgVu7F9jLq8C_XWaGxSpkjvldybqHUPQeqNIjPM8-o2MLdLvVp996s3Q4Erbn6qiaT9ofdpeelMpP6Cpo2KgmZwI2wjA48Typo0q-FO8s2Bu6zfQ7wnmtYEBXBpXtqMr0PBkI_nU-icvwzgbfiA=w1024-h649-no

That looks like a scene a few months ago when I had to pick up my grandkids from school and then drive 20 miles to our house. It's been a tough year weatherwise and my CX5 got me through the worst of it with relative ease. I share your sentiments exactly.

awesome!
glad you made it home safely.

Living in SoCal I can't imagine driving through a blizzard but good to know if needed, it can be done.

lol a blizzard to 60 degree weather. that's pretty common here in MA too xD. There is definitely a huge comfort factor to owning an AWD vehicle in the snow and I think Mazda has one of the better AWD systems. I'm tempted to buy a nice set of snow tires for my cx5 next year. I bought my 17 cx5 only a couple months ago and we haven't had any major snowstorms, but in my 2016 CX5 with 30k miles on it (and the tires), although it would trek over snow no problem from a stop, it became a sled while turning during acceleration. It was the stock tires so I'm not sure if that played a major factor but if the 16 has the same tires as the 17 I am definitely going to buy winter tires for it

lol a blizzard to 60 degree weather. that's pretty common here in MA too xD. There is definitely a huge comfort factor to owning an AWD vehicle in the snow and I think Mazda has one of the better AWD systems. I'm tempted to buy a nice set of snow tires for my cx5 next year. I bought my 17 cx5 only a couple months ago and we haven't had any major snowstorms, but in my 2016 CX5 with 30k miles on it (and the tires), although it would trek over snow no problem from a stop, it became a sled while turning during acceleration. It was the stock tires so I'm not sure if that played a major factor but if the 16 has the same tires as the 17 I am definitely going to buy winter tires for it

My 2016 has only 15K miles but the stock Geolandar is already down to 4/32 (and the winter tires took about 3K), not sure if I drove aggressively or the stock tires rating are low. I drove the stock tires for the first winter, AWD helped a lot with climbing hills and ramps, but stopping and turning was quite dangerous, thus, invested in the DM-V2.

I'd say, for snowy places, investing in the winter tires makes sense. Assuming a set of tires can last 30K, so two sets will let you drive 60K. It's the same 60K whether you buy two sets of all-season sequentially, or buy one set of all-season and one set of winter and swap them twice a year. The only difference in cost is the wheels (about $70-$120 each for alloy), but you can reuse or resell them, and have a different style for half of the year :) I'd say that's a small cost to drive safely and comfortably in winter.

BTW, among the cheap aftermarket wheels available at DiscountTires, I have MB on the Accord and Konig on the CX-5. However, after one snow season, the MB already looks bad with spots on the surface perhaps due to the road salt eating through the thin coating, while the Konig still looks good. Too small of a sample to tell anything, but maybe it worths spending slightly more on the Konig? Might have to spray the MB completely with Plastidip this summer in preparing for next winter.

Agreed Mazda AWD plus snow tires (Michelin Xice3 in my case) was a great combo this year. I also just put the all seasons back on.

Oh, and it's my first time seeing the yellow/orange traction control LED flashing like crazy during the whole drive.

even the standard Toyo all season tires on my 17' cx5gt did a decent job this winter up here in alberta. But next winter ill be getting winters.

Are the Michelin that crappy? Makes me appreciate my WRG3 SUVs even more. Wow. No mpg hit, feels even better in the corners due to the aramid sidewalls.

No, I’m not sure what he’s talking about. Noticed no difference in mpg between the tires. And hp?!?!

Also my traction control light wasn’t flashing like crazy even with ice...... barely saw it at all in fact. The Michelin’s performed very well.

Last edited:
No, I’m not sure what he’s talking about. Noticed no difference in mpg between the tires. And hp?!?!

Also my traction control light wasn’t flashing like crazy even with ice...... barely saw it at all in fact. The Michelin’s performed very well.

Yeah, even my Continental Crossacontact lx20s didnt provoke the light in the last blizzard I was in unless I floored it or tried to power steer around corners. Whatever hes running is trash.

Yeah, even my Continental Crossacontact lx20s didnt provoke the light in the last blizzard I was in unless I floored it or tried to power steer around corners. Whatever hes running is trash.

His DM-V2s will run circles around your Nokians on snow/ice trust me, the tradeoff is mpg and dry road handling..your WRG3s and even the Michelins imo are kind of tweeners ie not full on gummies but plenty good for most and ones you could get away with running year round at least for Northerners.. On that note I need to get my wife's DM-V1s off soon before she burns them out:)

Last edited:
Hello familiar names, long time no see, still no sense of humor. I see Unobtainium still in the same old habit of provoking others, good to be back to the same place :)

His DM-V2s will run circles around your Nokians on snow/ice trust me, the tradeoff is mpg and dry road handling..your WRG3s and even the Michelins imo are kind of tweeners ie not full on gummies but plenty good for most and ones you could get away with running year round at least for Northerners.. On that note I need to get my wife's DM-V1s off soon before she burns them out:)

The blizzaks are good but they are not far and above superior to everything out there. And there are professional instrumented tests to prove that I can cite some if you would like.

In the case of the Michelin please understand I have the 3rd generation which is quite and improvement over 2nd. I point this out as Michelin does not make the 3rd generation in the 17” size for the CX-5. I am running 18. For the 17” size they’re still selling the xice2 which are definitely not as good but they’re a generation behind so......

So I would agree the ice traction is a little better with the Blizzaks I considered which is actually the WS 80 (again 18”). The biggest reason I went for the Michelin is they are better on clear roads which is a lot of the time for me. And it’s not like they did poorly on ice. Also they wear very well.

Really though I find your comment about circles amusing as at least between Michelin and Bridgestone they’re pretty close and you’re going to do well with either imo. Just different trade offs being made.

I know a lot of people who do run blizzaks and their biggest downfall is how fast they wear when it’s a bit warm out. We get a lot of those days peppered into our winter so I know the Michelin will just last a lot longer for me. I’m probably going with Alpin PA4 on the GTI for the same reason. Not saying LM’s are bad at all though.

And anyway Nokian Hakka are still better if you want 0 compromise ice traction than either. Wrg3 are a mild winter I would agree with. That’s closer to Bridgestone and Michelin performance winter.

The blizzaks are good but they are not far and above superior to everything out there. And there are professional instrumented tests to prove that I can cite some if you would like.

In the case of the Michelin please understand I have the 3rd generation which is quite and improvement over 2nd. I point this out as Michelin does not make the 3rd generation in the 17 size for the CX-5. I am running 18. For the 17 size theyre still selling the xice2 which are definitely not as good but theyre a generation behind so......

So I would agree the ice traction is a little better with the Blizzaks I considered which is actually the WS 80 (again 18). The biggest reason I went for the Michelin is they are better on clear roads which is a lot of the time for me. And its not like they did poorly on ice. Also they wear very well.

Really though I find your comment about circles amusing as at least between Michelin and Bridgestone theyre pretty close and youre going to do well with either imo. Just different trade offs being made.

I know a lot of people who do run blizzaks and their biggest downfall is how fast they wear when its a bit warm out. We get a lot of those days peppered into our winter so I know the Michelin will just last a lot longer for me. Im probably going with Alpin PA4 on the GTI for the same reason. Not saying LMs are bad at all though.

As mentioned, I have the XI3 on my Accord, and can confirm the above. The XI3 has a little less traction on ice, and especially on snow than the Blizzak, but the trade off is less road noise, slightly better handling on dry road, and will last longer. I actually was about to get the XI3 for my CX-5 after putting it on the Accord, also found out they don't have the size, so I went with DM-V2 instead.

I also think some of that difference your feeling with snow is due to lack of AWD. I could tell ours was active a lot in the snow by the way the car felt going around corners.

Around here roads get plowed so it’s a good balance for me. :)

I'm aware and have run several sets of Nokian's all weather line and have ridden in their true Hakka winters many times so I can attest to their all around goodness so no hate there at all. I do however hate ignorance and I know (from experience and test data) that Bridgestone's full dedicated DM-V1 and DM-V2 tires will handily outperform Unos Nokians and any all weather tire when it comes specifically to snow and ice capabilities. Anyone who claims otherwise is either ignorant and/or simply full of crap and as such have no problems calling them out- repeatedly.

That said j if you have test data comparing Xi2 and Xi3 to each other or others I'd like to see it. I have my doubts that they will hold a candle to blizzaks when things get real nasty..again I made that tradeoff for clear road handling and civility..
The DM-V1s don't handle great (although not horrible and I think V2s aimed to improve that aspect) but my lord do those puppies hook up in snow- (like alot of snow on hills..) on our Highlander and I know its not the amazing awd system- those tires are snow beasts...at a price.

Last edited:
I’m not sure about comparing 2 to 3 I’ll have to look. I was seeing reviews comparing say WS80 and Xice 3 or Hakka basically.

Really all three are imo solid. None of them those are ‘crap’. It’s going to come down to what balance is right for the conditions you’re driving in. For me that’s the Michelin. If I lived in North Dakota or Michigan that might be different.

Back