Thread: Click/ Clunk/ Knock sounds 2018 CX 5 AWD

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GS AWD

L.o.l.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX5 GT

Same with my 2017 CX% AWD GT

Quote Originally Posted by sskali View Post
    Hello All. I am new to this forum. I have been going through the forum and seeing lot of people getting their queries/ doubts answered. I was wondering if I could get some help/ opinions on a problem with my brand new CX 5. I bought a 2018 CX 5 GT with AWD just a month back. When I test drove, I drove it on the highway and it was perfect. Absolutely no issues and I sealed the deal on the car. The next day, when I took my car to the office, I noticed an issue. I park on the 5th floor in a parking structure. So I need to take multiple sharp turns while going up or down. I started hearing some click/ clunk sounds on those sharp turns. Over the course of the next week, I kept on hearing these noises in my parking structure as well on bumps and sharp turns. I took my car to the dealership and after inspection they said everything was normal. They said, since it was new the suspension just needs time to settle in. But, I was still hearing these faint but noticeable sounds. So I took it again to the dealership and this time they said they will replace the sway bar bushings and see if that makes the difference. They handed the car back saying that they could no longer hear the noises after the change but unfortunately I keep hearing the noises again and again. On the highways and regular roads I don't hear it at all. But on inclines/ declines and sharp turns is when I hear it. I have attached a video of me going down my parking structure. The sounds are very clear at 40 s, 2:40, 2:50 , 3:50 min.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/szJMOdDKZYo0oMBC2

Please let me know what is causing this noise and what the possible remedy could be. Thank you very much.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX5 GT

I've too have discussed this issue on this forum about my 2017 CX5 AWD GT. The clunk/knock was noticed after 6000km and seems to originate from the front driver side strut area. Occurs most often when turning into drive ways and over the curb entrances and much less frequent when in straight motion over small road imperfections/cracks. Have had front left strut bearing, both front L/R struts and stabilizer mounts replaced with only some improvement. Have addressed recent clunk TSB (coil protectors) with a 2nd Mazda dealer, however service advisor indicates no available stock in Canada? Mazda is grasping and first dealer with Mazda Canada choose to blamed me for the clunk due to a single oil rust proof application. It has since washed off in its entirety from its application a year ago. 2nd dealership have been in my court but its an unjustified battle with Mazda Canada. Would like to know if anyone has had the clunk fixed with the coil protectors, know one seems to respond when I ask on this forum? Good Luck!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Cx 5 GT AWD

Hi All. It has been a long time since I posted on the forum again. I wanted to give a quick update on my car. After multiple visits to various dealerships, we were finally able to find and solve the problem behind the knocking/clunk noise. A technician from Mazda corporate came in and had a thorough look. It was found that a bushing was missing from the front right side suspension setup. They just had to put a new bushing and the knocking sound has completely gone away. According to my dealer, a specific batch of cars left the Mazda factory without these bushings. Hope this helps. Thanks once again to all.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Click/ Clunk/ Knock sounds 2018 CX 5 AWD

Hi All. It has been a long time since I posted on the forum again. I wanted to give a quick update on my car. After multiple visits to various dealerships, we were finally able to find and solve the problem behind the knocking/clunk noise. A technician from Mazda corporate came in and had a thorough look. It was found that a bushing was missing from the front right side suspension setup. They just had to put a new bushing and the knocking sound has completely gone away. According to my dealer, a specific batch of cars left the Mazda factory without these bushings. Hope this helps. Thanks once again to all.
    Whoa a missing bushing during assembly, how is that possible?

Looks like this's a different issue from TSB 02-002/18 posted earlier.

Thanks for your update!

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Whoa a missing bushing during assembly, how is that possible?

Looks like this's a different issue from TSB 02-002/18 posted earlier.

Thanks for your update!
    Sarcasm? That's hard to detect sometimes.

True or not, I dunno, but my Dad tells me a story of a friend who bought a BMW missing main bearings in the engine. Now I dunno how in the world that's possible, but who knows.

2014 CX-5 GT w/ Tech

Do you have anymore information on the specific bushing/where it was located that was missing? Mine is still clunking, even after having the lower control arms replaced again, and the left ball joint. Dealer says they have checked everything multiple times and can't find anything wrong.

After the vibration issues I had when I first got the car and now this still not being resolved I'm about to just get rid of it because I'm tired constantly bringing it to the dealer to get things fixed.

Current: 2017 CX-5 GT Machine Gray
    Past: 2014 CX-5 GT w/Tech Crystal White
    Hardwired V1 - (click here for instructions: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-a-Valentine-1)

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Click/ Clunk/ Knock sounds 2018 CX 5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
    Do you have anymore information on the specific bushing/where it was located that was missing? Mine is still clunking, even after having the lower control arms replaced again, and the left ball joint. Dealer says they have checked everything multiple times and can't find anything wrong.

After the vibration issues I had when I first got the car and now this still not being resolved I'm about to just get rid of it because I'm tired constantly bringing it to the dealer to get things fixed.
    You have a 2014 CX-5 GT (from your avatar) and still are fighting the suspension clunking issue? What was the vibration issue about?

OP's Mazda dealer has mentioned there's a batch of gen-2 CX-5's left the factory without these bushings. I believe a TSB for this matter should be coming out shortly from Mazda.

2014 CX-5 GT w/ Tech

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    You have a 2014 CX-5 GT (from your avatar) and still are fighting the suspension clunking issue? What was the vibration issue about?

OP's Mazda dealer has mentioned there's a batch of gen-2 CX-5's left the factory without these bushings. I believe a TSB for this matter should be coming out shortly from Mazda.
    I have a 2017, my signature was updated, never updated the avatar.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring

I have same and/or similar problem. I have a clunking sound, thought it was at turns, or over speed bumps.. but realized that it might be backlash in the drive train. When I go very slow, then slightly accelerate, then decelerate with minor gas pedal movements, I get this clunking. It seems as though their is slop in the drive train. This sound seemed like it was at turning or bumps, but can be demonstrated when going straight. It reminded me of a bad drive U-Joint "CLUNK" you would get on an old car with a bad u-Joint. (when putting in Reverse/forward/reverse while holding BREAK down). Can you duplicate it by going very very slow, and feathering the gas? if so, it is a joint in the drive-- I think. I need to take my car back to dealership as well. Beautiful SUV, but this sound is not right. Just a hunch.

2018 Mazda6 Signature

Hello All. I am new to this forum. I have been going through the forum and seeing lot of people getting their queries/ doubts answered. I was wondering if I could get some help/ opinions on a problem with my brand new CX 5. I bought a 2018 CX 5 GT with AWD just a month back. When I test drove, I drove it on the highway and it was perfect. Absolutely no issues and I sealed the deal on the car. The next day, when I took my car to the office, I noticed an issue. I park on the 5th floor in a parking structure. So I need to take multiple sharp turns while going up or down. I started hearing some click/ clunk sounds on those sharp turns. Over the course of the next week, I kept on hearing these noises in my parking structure as well on bumps and sharp turns. I took my car to the dealership and after inspection they said everything was normal. They said, since it was new the suspension just needs time to settle in. But, I was still hearing these faint but noticeable sounds. So I took it again to the dealership and this time they said they will replace the sway bar bushings and see if that makes the difference. They handed the car back saying that they could no longer hear the noises after the change but unfortunately I keep hearing the noises again and again. On the highways and regular roads I don't hear it at all. But on inclines/ declines and sharp turns is when I hear it. I have attached a video of me going down my parking structure. The sounds are very clear at 40 s, 2:40, 2:50 , 3:50 min.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/szJMOdDKZYo0oMBC2

Please let me know what is causing this noise and what the possible remedy could be. Thank you very much.
    Hi there, There are some of us on the Mazda6 forum that are dealing with this on the new Mazda6.
    https://forum.mazda6club.com/suspens...ock-noise.html

Can you possibly re-post your video? I am so curious if the noise is the same.

Thank you,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123