Click / Clunk / Knock sounds 2018 CX-5 AWD

sskali

:
Cx 5 GT AWD
Hello All. I am new to this forum. I have been going through the forum and seeing lot of people getting their queries/ doubts answered. I was wondering if I could get some help/ opinions on a problem with my brand new CX 5. I bought a 2018 CX 5 GT with AWD just a month back. When I test drove, I drove it on the highway and it was perfect. Absolutely no issues and I sealed the deal on the car. The next day, when I took my car to the office, I noticed an issue. I park on the 5th floor in a parking structure. So I need to take multiple sharp turns while going up or down. I started hearing some click/ clunk sounds on those sharp turns. Over the course of the next week, I kept on hearing these noises in my parking structure as well on bumps and sharp turns. I took my car to the dealership and after inspection they said everything was normal. They said, since it was new the suspension just needs time to settle in. But, I was still hearing these faint but noticeable sounds. So I took it again to the dealership and this time they said they will replace the sway bar bushings and see if that makes the difference. They handed the car back saying that they could no longer hear the noises after the change but unfortunately I keep hearing the noises again and again. On the highways and regular roads I don't hear it at all. But on inclines/ declines and sharp turns is when I hear it. I have attached a video of me going down my parking structure. The sounds are very clear at 40 s, 2:40, 2:50 , 3:50 min.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/szJMOdDKZYo0oMBC2

Please let me know what is causing this noise and what the possible remedy could be. Thank you very much.

Could you here these noises anywhere outside your parking structure (uhm)

Yes. I do hear the sounds outside the parking structure as well. Mostly when making left/right turns on bumpy surfaces. I don't hear them while driving straight, even on bumpy surfaces. It seems to be coming from a combination of turning and suspension movement. I have driven a 2015 CX 5 and a 2017 6 as well and never heard these sounds once.

Not on my CX5 but I think I've heard the noise before.

I too park on a 4th floor. My noise was coming from my dust shields behind the rotors. I had them replaced and was noise free for a few months until they bent out of shape again so I just let them be.

Only noise on my CX5 is a steering column rattle for which I'm planning on taking the steering wheel apart and see if the horn or airbag module is loose.

I see. But I am quite surprised to hear these sounds as I just bought the car about a month back and I have only driven 400 miles. But will definitely get the dust shields checked.

If it means anything, the dust shields that were replaced were on my 335xi with less than 200 miles on the ODO ...

It takes very little to bend them out of shape as they're paper thin. Good luck with the CX5 !!

Thanks for the information. I will definitely have a look at the dust shields and see if they are bent.

I am surprised they replaced the sway bar bushings on a brand new vehicle. Did they give a reason? I suspect they are grasping at straws here.

Noises are difficult to trace. If you can drive that part of the parking structure with someone on the outside you may be able to figure which side and corner this noise is coming from.

Also, check the car out yourself if you can. Even if you are not mechanically inclined you just might see something out of place. A lot of times these types of things end up being something really simple like a rock in the tire tread or a loose panel etc.

Edit to add: also check the interior. Seats locked down? Loose tools under the cargo floor? Sometimes it’s not what you thought it would be that proves to be the solution.

Last edited:
Sadly you're not alone. My 2017 CX-5 has done this ever since I got it last May. It only make the noise when going over bumps or driveways when the tires are turned. It's annoying, and I'll take it in the to shop eventually. They'll most likely grease or replace the bushings. I used to complain about this same stupid issue with my old Mazda 5.

Its a known issue and there is a service fix for all the world except NA! I would take it and see if there is a US version but in any case, it shows them where to look.

Attachments

• Suspension Noise from front lower arm..pdf
    304.9 KB · Views: 1,905
The dealership could not find any cause earlier. But when I took it again, they said they could hear the sound. So they said they will replace the sway bar bushing as per the TSB. I still hear the sound on sharp turns and bumps. I tried checking out the car with my limited knowledge. The strut plastic housing moves quite a bit. Also I checked to see if there were any loose things moving around but could not find anything. I have the previous gen cx5 and it never had these sounds.

Yes. I would recommend taking the car to the dealership. Those sounds, even though faint, are not supposed to be there.

Its a known issue and there is a service fix for all the world except NA! I would take it and see if there is a US version but in any case, it shows them where to look.

Has this issue been going on for a while (uhm)

I had the same thing and they replaced my control arm bushings. It's better, but still occasionally does it. There is a US TSB for it.

Attachments

• document(1).pdf
    681.6 KB · Views: 3,081
Has this issue been going on for a while (uhm)

I’ve had a 2016 and two 2017s and neither of them did it that I’m aware of. However, the TSB is suggesting that it migrated over both models. We know that the rear bushing on the 2017 is now hydraulic so the front must be very similar. Squirting them with WD40 might shut them up! My latest silver model is in the later range with modified bushings according to the TSB so it shouldn’t be an issue to me.

I had the same thing and they replaced my control arm bushings. It's better, but still occasionally does it. There is a US TSB for it.

That would be the US version that I suspected must exist. This is where dealers could save themselves a lot of time and credibility by just having the workshop foreman and the service staff download and READ every TSB. Firstly, they would be aware of the issue and the solution and secondly, they’re not going to look such chumps when a customer shows up with the answer. If I were sskali, I would be rather unpleased to say the least. sskali - this is the one you want to stuff up their nose.

Last edited:
I’ve had a 2016 and two 2017s and neither of them did it that I’m aware of. However, the TSB is suggesting that it migrated over both models. We know that the rear bushing on the 2017 is now hydraulic so the front must be very similar. Squirting them with WD40 might shut them up! My latest silver model is in the later range with modified bushings according to the TSB so it shouldn’t be an issue to me.

That would be the US version that I suspected must exist. This is where dealers could save themselves a lot of time and credibility by just having the workshop foreman and the service staff download and READ every TSB. Firstly, they would be aware of the issue and the solution and secondly, they’re not going to look such chumps when a customer shows up with the answer. If I were sskali, I would be rather unpleased to say the least. sskali - this is the one you want to stuff up their nose.

I will be taking in the car tomorrow to the dealership. Hopefully, they come up with the same answer. Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification (thumb)

Known issue here in Australia with some of the cars. Dealer showed me a service bulletin. My car had the issue from day zero and got progressively worse. The front springs need some sort of protective casing and some additional rubber where it connects to the chassis. Sorry dont know much about suspension but basically the springs rub against the metal in the chassis. Bloody frustrating and horrible sound that ruined my new experience. Since the fix car suspension has been great

Back