Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Whats leaking on a 2010 CX-9 AWD?

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2010 CX-9 AWD

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5

    Question Whats leaking on a 2010 CX-9 AWD?

    Hi All, may be a dumb question, but I'm wondering what may be leaking. I noticed a few spots on the driveway; and when I looked underneath I can see the leak, but not sure of the source. I popped the hood, but I couldn't see any oil leak from above. I checked the dipsticks for the engine and tranny, and its questionable whether they're showing me a drop in the oil level. Could it be the engine or transmission? (See attached picture) I'll be taking it to my mechanic, but I'm just wondering what to expect.

    leak.jpg

    Thanks for any ideas,
    Last edited by ecosse; 04-23-2018 at 12:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    2010 CX-9

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    L.I., NY
    Posts
    107
    I believe that is the transfer case that is leaking. I have a 2010 also and mine looked like that at about 30k miles and they replaced the transfer case. Well known issue on this car. Bring it in right away. There is a huge thread on this. How many miles? It may not be under warranty as they extended it to 7 years or either 70 or 90K miles for this issue. I forget which one.
    2010 CX-9 GT AWD w/navi - Copper Red/Sand - Bought 6/25/10

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2010 CX-9 AWD

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Takehold66 View Post
    I believe that is the transfer case that is leaking. I have a 2010 also and mine looked like that at about 30k miles and they replaced the transfer case. Well known issue on this car. Bring it in right away. There is a huge thread on this. How many miles? It may not be under warranty as they extended it to 7 years or either 70 or 90K miles for this issue. I forget which one.
    Is there a way to check the oil level in the transfer case?

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    685
    No. When they leak they replace it. That is the spot where the transfer case leaks when it is starting to go, right on that dogbone mount.

  5. #5
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,633

    Arrow Whats leaking on a 2010 CX-9 AWD?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecosse View Post
    Is there a way to check the oil level in the transfer case?
    There's a way to check the gear lubricant level in front transfer case through the fill hole. The key is how many miles do you have on your CX-9, and have you ever changed the gear lub in your front transfer case? The leak is usually from the vent valve on top of the transfer case which means your gear lub is losing the function and transfer case has been overheating. Since the label is expensive, so the common practice is to go ahead replacing the transfer case with a rebuild. To save money, you may try to change the lub first, but the problem is there's no drain hole and your lub inside most likely has become sludge and difficult to suck it out. If after the lub change there's no more leaks and you have no noise or other symptoms from a bad front transfer case, you got lucky.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2010 CX-9 AWD

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    There's a way to check the gear lubricant level in front transfer case through the fill hole. The key is how many miles do you have on your CX-9, and have you ever changed the gear lub in your front transfer case? The leak is usually from the vent valve on top of the transfer case which means your gear lub is losing the function and transfer case has been overheating. Since the label is expensive, so the common practice is to go ahead replacing the transfer case with a rebuild. To save money, you may try to change the lub first, but the problem is there's no drain hole and your lub inside most likely has become sludge and difficult to suck it out. If after the lub change there's no more leaks and you have no noise or other symptoms from a bad front transfer case, you got lucky.
    My 2010 CX-9's at 75,000 miles now. I purchased the car in November of last year, so all I've done was an oil change since then. My airbag system needs to get serviced for an open recall, and I'll ask them to take a look at the leak. I've contacted Mazda about it and they said to get back to them after I have it looked at in the dealership. Maybe there's a chance they'll replace on their own accord, or are my hopes to high?

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    2010 CX-9 AWD

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5
    Just an update, I dropped off my CX-9 on Saturday at Wayne Mazda. They gave me a new CX-5 AWD to putt around in the mean time. They left a message on my voicemail today that they're trying to get a hold of Mazda Customer Service. I guess this means that its definitely the transfer case, and they're wondering who's going to foot the bill?

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2010 CX-9 AWD

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5
    Hi All, a final update to my thread. They fixed the recall issue with the airbags as that was the main priority. As far as the transfer case was concerned; it had a bad seal as well as a crack in it. I asked them to save the part for me, as I wanted to see for myself, but they said that they had to send it to Mazda. Anyway the bill was about $1500 with tax, Mazda offered to put $550 towards the work. I haggled with them for a bit and managed to get them to raise their initial offer to $800, meaning I paid just under $500 for it. Not bad, considering that the part itself would have cost that amount had I purchased it off of the internet. It was about $900+ for a transfer case from Mazda, if I were to install it myself. I also had a loaner brand new loaner CX-5 for close to 4 weeks, while they completed the work. Overall, I'm happy and the transfer case now has a warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles, however, I may sell it before that time is up.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 08:43 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 04:50 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 10:02 PM
  4. Your tyre experiences - Whats good, whats bad, and whats bloody awful?
    By GSB in forum Mazda6 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 12:23 PM
  5. tires: whats good whats not?
    By Lord_Nycon in forum Mazda3 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 12:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •