Whats leaking on a 2010 CX-9 AWD?

ecosse

:
2010 CX-9 AWD GT
Hi All, may be a dumb question, but I'm wondering what may be leaking. I noticed a few spots on the driveway; and when I looked underneath I can see the leak, but not sure of the source. I popped the hood, but I couldn't see any oil leak from above. I checked the dipsticks for the engine and tranny, and its questionable whether they're showing me a drop in the oil level. Could it be the engine or transmission? (See attached picture) I'll be taking it to my mechanic, but I'm just wondering what to expect.

leak.jpg

Thanks for any ideas,

Last edited:
I believe that is the transfer case that is leaking. I have a 2010 also and mine looked like that at about 30k miles and they replaced the transfer case. Well known issue on this car. Bring it in right away. There is a huge thread on this. How many miles? It may not be under warranty as they extended it to 7 years or either 70 or 90K miles for this issue. I forget which one.

I believe that is the transfer case that is leaking. I have a 2010 also and mine looked like that at about 30k miles and they replaced the transfer case. Well known issue on this car. Bring it in right away. There is a huge thread on this. How many miles? It may not be under warranty as they extended it to 7 years or either 70 or 90K miles for this issue. I forget which one.

Is there a way to check the oil level in the transfer case?

No. When they leak they replace it. That is the spot where the transfer case leaks when it is starting to go, right on that dogbone mount.

Is there a way to check the oil level in the transfer case?
There's a way to check the gear lubricant level in front transfer case through the fill hole. The key is how many miles do you have on your CX-9, and have you ever changed the gear lub in your front transfer case? The leak is usually from the vent valve on top of the transfer case which means your gear lub is losing the function and transfer case has been overheating. Since the label is expensive, so the common practice is to go ahead replacing the transfer case with a rebuild. To save money, you may try to change the lub first, but the problem is there's no drain hole and your lub inside most likely has become sludge and difficult to suck it out. If after the lub change there's no more leaks and you have no noise or other symptoms from a bad front transfer case, you got lucky.

There's a way to check the gear lubricant level in front transfer case through the fill hole. The key is how many miles do you have on your CX-9, and have you ever changed the gear lub in your front transfer case? The leak is usually from the vent valve on top of the transfer case which means your gear lub is losing the function and transfer case has been overheating. Since the label is expensive, so the common practice is to go ahead replacing the transfer case with a rebuild. To save money, you may try to change the lub first, but the problem is there's no drain hole and your lub inside most likely has become sludge and difficult to suck it out. If after the lub change there's no more leaks and you have no noise or other symptoms from a bad front transfer case, you got lucky.

My 2010 CX-9's at 75,000 miles now. I purchased the car in November of last year, so all I've done was an oil change since then. My airbag system needs to get serviced for an open recall, and I'll ask them to take a look at the leak. I've contacted Mazda about it and they said to get back to them after I have it looked at in the dealership. Maybe there's a chance they'll replace on their own accord, or are my hopes to high?

Just an update, I dropped off my CX-9 on Saturday at Wayne Mazda. They gave me a new CX-5 AWD to putt around in the mean time. They left a message on my voicemail today that they're trying to get a hold of Mazda Customer Service. I guess this means that its definitely the transfer case, and they're wondering who's going to foot the bill?

Hi All, a final update to my thread. They fixed the recall issue with the airbags as that was the main priority. As far as the transfer case was concerned; it had a bad seal as well as a crack in it. I asked them to save the part for me, as I wanted to see for myself, but they said that they had to send it to Mazda. Anyway the bill was about $1500 with tax, Mazda offered to put $550 towards the work. I haggled with them for a bit and managed to get them to raise their initial offer to $800, meaning I paid just under $500 for it. Not bad, considering that the part itself would have cost that amount had I purchased it off of the internet. It was about $900+ for a transfer case from Mazda, if I were to install it myself. I also had a loaner brand new loaner CX-5 for close to 4 weeks, while they completed the work. Overall, I'm happy and the transfer case now has a warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles, however, I may sell it before that time is up.

hi all
I just recently bought used mazda Cx9 2011 with 236000 kms (146000 miles). After buying i realized common issues water pump and ptu issues and planned to do maintenance before they get failed. To my surprise here in this part of world U.A.E there is no such TSbs or recalls so when i checked service of car with my local mazda dealer they refused to change PTU fluid and also the transmission fluid. I told them about Failures of PTU on forums and he laughed. So i decide to carry on my local garage service. For transmission i did drain and refills myself 3 times with toyota T-IV and fluid came out was nasty black but my transmission survived.
For PTU i took it to my local garage i know him from many years he agreed to change fluid and i helped him with You Tube videos 😁 how to replace PTU fluid. We unplugged the bolt on PTU and when we tried to suck out fluid nothing come out but just 100ml grease o_O. Mechanic was shocked to see that and he suggested to just keep pumping new fluid in so old grease will come out which was a tough task without drain bolt. Filling with Motorcraft 75w140 mechanic suggested me to drive the car for few days so old sludge/grease will dissolve in new fluid and he will do drain refill again but he warned that PTU might get whine noise after these fluid changes ( I already have slight low whine above 60 kmh)
I drove the car and found no change in sound better or worst. The magnet bolt was full of metal sludge no shavings, mind we have temperatures above 50C in summer lasting for 6 months or more and im surprised how car survived in such harsh conditions and temperature for 9 years with 146000 miles.

hi all
I just recently bought used mazda Cx9 2011 with 236000 kms (146000 miles). After buying i realized common issues water pump and ptu issues and planned to do maintenance before they get failed. To my surprise here in this part of world U.A.E there is no such TSbs or recalls so when i checked service of car with my local mazda dealer they refused to change PTU fluid and also the transmission fluid. I told them about Failures of PTU on forums and he laughed. So i decide to carry on my local garage service. For transmission i did drain and refills myself 3 times with toyota T-IV and fluid came out was nasty black but my transmission survived.
For PTU i took it to my local garage i know him from many years he agreed to change fluid and i helped him with You Tube videos 😁 how to replace PTU fluid. We unplugged the bolt on PTU and when we tried to suck out fluid nothing come out but just 100ml grease o_O. Mechanic was shocked to see that and he suggested to just keep pumping new fluid in so old grease will come out which was a tough task without drain bolt. Filling with Motorcraft 75w140 mechanic suggested me to drive the car for few days so old sludge/grease will dissolve in new fluid and he will do drain refill again but he warned that PTU might get whine noise after these fluid changes ( I already have slight low whine above 60 kmh)
I drove the car and found no change in sound better or worst. The magnet bolt was full of metal sludge no shavings, mind we have temperatures above 50C in summer lasting for 6 months or more and im surprised how car survived in such harsh conditions and temperature for 9 years with 146000 miles.

As much as I try to get information on TCase failure here, I can't find any. I am really surprised as well these Transfer cases hold up to the Middle East Summers (I'm in Qatar) and has a 2016 purchased Gen 1. Running roughly 50K kms and still in warranty, still im planning to service my Transfer case outside Mazda (may service my transmission as well)

Check your driveshaft bearings as they might be causing the whine.

Thanks for info glad to find someone in this region. Yeah u r right I checked found center support bearings rubber broken and shaft was wobbling by hand. Not sure whine noise above 80kms from center support bearing or PTU itself.

Update !!

After doing 3 drain and refills with 500 miles each interval fluid is slightly better less grease or sludge i will do another 3 drain and refills to get the fluid with golden hue. One thing i noticed the whining noise i reported earlier before fluid change 45mph+ is now gone and car is much more smoother and quite. It seems PTU was making noise and whine bcz of sludge/grease and no fluid.

great to hear! too bad the world is on lockdown and I only get to ride my 9 once a week! more happy miles for your car when all things get back to normal!

Back