Locking Tailgate

:
CX-9
I have a 2018 CX-9 and previously had a 2011.

In the 2011, the doors had to be unlocked before you could open the tailgate with the key fob.

In the 2018, the key fob can open the tailgate even if the doors are locked. Does anyone know if this can be changed?

Twice in the few months weve owned the 2018, the key fob, while in a pocket or purse, has inadvertently opened the tailgate into our closed garage door. It doesnt reverse direction when it encounters the door, it just stays there. Then when we open the garage door from the outside it scratches up the tailgate.

I don't know how something could long press the key fob button mistakenly, yet it's happening to you. It's a small flush button so something the size of your finger tip has to push and hold that exact spot for 2 seconds.The odds!

Don't know of anything that could change this.

I don't know how something could long press the key fob button mistakenly, yet it's happening to you. It's a small flush button so something the size of your finger tip has to push and hold that exact spot for 2 seconds.The odds!

Don't know of anything that could change this.

This could easily happen in your pocket. I've seen other owner's forums with cars that have an auto window down feature by holding down the fob button, and even with a trunk release fob button--countless threads on how these features were accidentally activated with the fob in the driver's pocket, coming outside of work or wherever, seeing the windows/trunk open. I had it happen to me with my trunk in my car with my fob in my pocket while in a restaurant.

The chances of this happening are slim, but they happen more often than most people think. I would contact the dealer to find out if there is a way to change this in the infotainment settings. If not, your best bet is to keep the keys in a separate pocket or compartment of the purse to minimize the chance of it happening again.

Back