Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 2nd Gen CX-9 having problems buying Aftermarket brakes. "rear set"!!! please help!!

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    Mazda, CX-9 Grand Touring AWD 2016 2nd Gen

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4

    2016 CX-9 having problems buying Aftermarket brakes. "rear set"!!!

    I have 2016 CX-9 33k miles, I got this car new for my bday my first car under my name :-) and I love it and everyone that sees it loves it! I live in NYC and drive a lot to say the least. I have always put aftermarket brakes on my family vehicles because they last longer and have more stopping power.

    I just came from getting reg maintenance which i still do at the dealer where I got the car. They told me my rear brakes are getting low do I wish to change them. I told them no i'll buy better aftermarket brakes. He said that was a good idea. While I was waiting for my car to be done I started looking online for ceramic or carbon fiber brakes. I really want BREMBO brakes just case.... lol but they didn't have them for the 2nd Gen CX-9 only for the 1st Gen. :-(

    So I went on autozone and found the front set Duralast only not the rear( https://tinyurl.com/ybz7j8v5 ) . I went on amazon same problem I can only find the front set not the rear. So I went to the parts dept at the dealer and ask them to search he couldn't find any rear sets on any of his sites he uses. I called Autozone just in case it was out of stock. they told me they dont make the rear set yet and I would have to get the OEM brakes. I told them this car has been out for 3 years already.....

    I asked the parts guy at the dealer why would the rear brakes wear down faster if the front brakes take more abuse due to the engine weight. He said Mazda puts more braking power to the rear to avoid lunging and give a better riding/driving experience. I asked so why not have full size brakes on the rear and front if that's the case. He said that is a really good question. Anyone know please explain ? Is this true?

    Going though a few websites I noticed something. If I put cx9 2016 the search results show me some brakes for front and rear. but if I put cx9 2017,2018 it doesnt show the same search results. which is should, from what the parts guy at dealer told me 2016-2018 all have the same braking system. I think when I put cx9 2016 it is showing me Parts for 1st Gen cx-9 since the 2nd Gen came out Mid Year. It's really a cx9 2016.5, So when I look for parts I put 2017 cx-9 to be sure im looking at 2nd Gen cx-9 parts.

    I need help finding aftermarket brakes ASAP. Brakes and rotor if i have to don't matter. also why is it hard to find rear set? I find front set almost everywhere.

    btw I would like brakes from a reputable known company/brand.

    Sites I've been to

    Autozone
    amazon
    autoanything.com
    powerstop.com
    bremboparts.com
    advanceautoparts.com
    HawkPerformance.com
    boschautoparts.com
    Last edited by memorexxx; 04-22-2018 at 12:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    17 CX-9 GT FWD

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    186
    Only found 3 sets,

    Raybestos EHT1934H
    Monroe CX1259
    AC Delco 17D1934CH

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Washington, the state
    Posts
    239
    why is it hard to find rear set?
    Because properly functioning brakes do not wear out the rears in 33,000 miles. There is not yet any market for rarely used parts for this low-volume, relatively new model.

    Replace those brakes, but also find and fix the problem that caused the early wear. By the way, have you yourself looked at the pad thickness? Never trust the service writer who gets paid on commission.

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    Mazda, CX-9 Grand Touring AWD 2016 2nd Gen

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by PTguy View Post
    Because properly functioning brakes do not wear out the rears in 33,000 miles. There is not yet any market for rarely used parts for this low-volume, relatively new model.

    Replace those brakes, but also find and fix the problem that caused the early wear. By the way, have you yourself looked at the pad thickness? Never trust the service writer who gets paid on commission.
    Yes I did check them out my self they are 4-5/32 left on them. I understand this a new model but usually manufactures don't put totally different wear down components on cars. Like they are not going design and put a new type of oil filter just cause they can. They typically look at what is on the market at the time and what works for there car and that's what they go with. That's why most car of the same maker and or style all use the same brakes. ex. ford explorer and ford expedition have a lot of the same components. As I said in my post I live in NYC what I did't say is that I do Uber/JUNO part time. I also drive pvt clients around. I also have clients in NJ,CT and Long Island. 30k-40k is more or less the range here in the city for brake change.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    Mazda, CX-9 Grand Touring AWD 2016 2nd Gen

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom49 View Post
    Only found 3 sets,

    Raybestos EHT1934H
    Monroe CX1259
    AC Delco 17D1934CH
    Thank you Ill check these out ASAP!! I found some other ones also. but the choices are still very limited IMO

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2010 CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by memorexxx View Post
    I have 2016 CX-9 33k miles, I got this car new for my bday my first car under my name :-) and I love it and everyone that sees it loves it! I live in NYC and drive a lot to say the least. I have always put aftermarket brakes on my family vehicles because they last longer and have more stopping power.

    I just came from getting reg maintenance which i still do at the dealer where I got the car. They told me my rear brakes are getting low do I wish to change them. I told them no i'll buy better aftermarket brakes. He said that was a good idea. While I was waiting for my car to be done I started looking online for ceramic or carbon fiber brakes. I really want BREMBO brakes just case.... lol but they didn't have them for the 2nd Gen CX-9 only for the 1st Gen. :-(

    So I went on autozone and found the front set Duralast only not the rear( https://tinyurl.com/ybz7j8v5 ) . I went on amazon same problem I can only find the front set not the rear. So I went to the parts dept at the dealer and ask them to search he couldn't find any rear sets on any of his sites he uses. I called Autozone just in case it was out of stock. they told me they dont make the rear set yet and I would have to get the OEM brakes. I told them this car has been out for 3 years already.....

    I asked the parts guy at the dealer why would the rear brakes wear down faster if the front brakes take more abuse due to the engine weight. He said Mazda puts more braking power to the rear to avoid lunging and give a better riding/driving experience. I asked so why not have full size brakes on the rear and front if that's the case. He said that is a really good question. Anyone know please explain ? Is this true?

    Going though a few websites I noticed something. If I put cx9 2016 the search results show me some brakes for front and rear. but if I put cx9 2017,2018 it doesnt show the same search results. which is should, from what the parts guy at dealer told me 2016-2018 all have the same braking system. I think when I put cx9 2016 it is showing me Parts for 1st Gen cx-9 since the 2nd Gen came out Mid Year. It's really a cx9 2016.5, So when I look for parts I put 2017 cx-9 to be sure im looking at 2nd Gen cx-9 parts.

    I need help finding aftermarket brakes ASAP. Brakes and rotor if i have to don't matter. also why is it hard to find rear set? I find front set almost everywhere.

    btw I would like brakes from a reputable known company/brand.

    Sites I've been to

    Autozone
    amazon
    autoanything.com
    powerstop.com
    bremboparts.com
    advanceautoparts.com
    HawkPerformance.com
    boschautoparts.com
    Centric makes pads for the 2016+ CX-9. 105.12580 for the front pads, 105.19340 for the rear.

    I have to say, I haven't actually used these particular brakes, but I used Centric pads and rotors on a previous generation CX-9 and have been happy with them.

    And just to echo what others have said, it sure seems like there is something amiss with your car - I have never worn out the rear pads before the front on any car I've ever owned.

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    17 Mazda 6 GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by jal142 View Post
    Centric makes pads for the 2016+ CX-9. 105.12580 for the front pads, 105.19340 for the rear.


    And just to echo what others have said, it sure seems like there is something amiss with your car - I have never worn out the rear pads before the front on any car I've ever owned.
    Try owning/driving a few Nissans.
    I've had Sentras and Altimas, and everyone of them required rear brake service twice as often as the fronts.
    The rears also required caliper replacement before the fronts. Garbage brakes.

Similar Threads

  1. Install 6" x 9" instead of OEM 6" x 8" rear speakers ?
    By protege_lx99 in forum Mazda5 Infotainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 02:14 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 08:47 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 09:19 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 12:17 AM
  5. Brakes are showing "uneven wear"
    By Lani in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 06:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •