2nd Gen CX-9 having problems buying Aftermarket brakes. "rear set"!!! please help!!

memorexxx

:
Mazda, CX-9 Grand Touring AWD 2016 2nd Gen
2016 CX-9 having problems buying Aftermarket brakes. "rear set"!!!

I have 2016 CX-9 33k miles, I got this car new for my bday my first car under my name :) and I love it and everyone that sees it loves it! I live in NYC and drive a lot to say the least. I have always put aftermarket brakes on my family vehicles because they last longer and have more stopping power.

I just came from getting reg maintenance which i still do at the dealer where I got the car. They told me my rear brakes are getting low do I wish to change them. I told them no i'll buy better aftermarket brakes. He said that was a good idea. While I was waiting for my car to be done I started looking online for ceramic or carbon fiber brakes. I really want BREMBO brakes just case.... lol but they didn't have them for the 2nd Gen CX-9 only for the 1st Gen. :-(

So I went on autozone and found the front set Duralast only not the rear( https://tinyurl.com/ybz7j8v5 ) . I went on amazon same problem I can only find the front set not the rear. So I went to the parts dept at the dealer and ask them to search he couldn't find any rear sets on any of his sites he uses. I called Autozone just in case it was out of stock. they told me they dont make the rear set yet and I would have to get the OEM brakes. I told them this car has been out for 3 years already.....

I asked the parts guy at the dealer why would the rear brakes wear down faster if the front brakes take more abuse due to the engine weight. He said Mazda puts more braking power to the rear to avoid lunging and give a better riding/driving experience. I asked so why not have full size brakes on the rear and front if that's the case. He said that is a really good question. Anyone know please explain ? Is this true?

Going though a few websites I noticed something. If I put cx9 2016 the search results show me some brakes for front and rear. but if I put cx9 2017,2018 it doesnt show the same search results. which is should, from what the parts guy at dealer told me 2016-2018 all have the same braking system. I think when I put cx9 2016 it is showing me Parts for 1st Gen cx-9 since the 2nd Gen came out Mid Year. It's really a cx9 2016.5, So when I look for parts I put 2017 cx-9 to be sure im looking at 2nd Gen cx-9 parts.

I need help finding aftermarket brakes ASAP. Brakes and rotor if i have to don't matter. also why is it hard to find rear set? I find front set almost everywhere.

btw I would like brakes from a reputable known company/brand.

Sites I've been to

Autozone
amazon
autoanything.com
powerstop.com
bremboparts.com
advanceautoparts.com
HawkPerformance.com
boschautoparts.com

Last edited:
why is it hard to find rear set?
Because properly functioning brakes do not wear out the rears in 33,000 miles. There is not yet any market for rarely used parts for this low-volume, relatively new model.

Replace those brakes, but also find and fix the problem that caused the early wear. By the way, have you yourself looked at the pad thickness? Never trust the service writer who gets paid on commission.

Because properly functioning brakes do not wear out the rears in 33,000 miles. There is not yet any market for rarely used parts for this low-volume, relatively new model.

Replace those brakes, but also find and fix the problem that caused the early wear. By the way, have you yourself looked at the pad thickness? Never trust the service writer who gets paid on commission.

Yes I did check them out my self they are 4-5/32 left on them. I understand this a new model but usually manufactures don't put totally different wear down components on cars. Like they are not going design and put a new type of oil filter just cause they can. They typically look at what is on the market at the time and what works for there car and that's what they go with. That's why most car of the same maker and or style all use the same brakes. ex. ford explorer and ford expedition have a lot of the same components. As I said in my post I live in NYC what I did't say is that I do Uber/JUNO part time. I also drive pvt clients around. I also have clients in NJ,CT and Long Island. 30k-40k is more or less the range here in the city for brake change.

I have 2016 CX-9 33k miles, I got this car new for my bday my first car under my name :) and I love it and everyone that sees it loves it! I live in NYC and drive a lot to say the least. I have always put aftermarket brakes on my family vehicles because they last longer and have more stopping power.

I just came from getting reg maintenance which i still do at the dealer where I got the car. They told me my rear brakes are getting low do I wish to change them. I told them no i'll buy better aftermarket brakes. He said that was a good idea. While I was waiting for my car to be done I started looking online for ceramic or carbon fiber brakes. I really want BREMBO brakes just case.... lol but they didn't have them for the 2nd Gen CX-9 only for the 1st Gen. :-(

So I went on autozone and found the front set Duralast only not the rear( https://tinyurl.com/ybz7j8v5 ) . I went on amazon same problem I can only find the front set not the rear. So I went to the parts dept at the dealer and ask them to search he couldn't find any rear sets on any of his sites he uses. I called Autozone just in case it was out of stock. they told me they dont make the rear set yet and I would have to get the OEM brakes. I told them this car has been out for 3 years already.....

I asked the parts guy at the dealer why would the rear brakes wear down faster if the front brakes take more abuse due to the engine weight. He said Mazda puts more braking power to the rear to avoid lunging and give a better riding/driving experience. I asked so why not have full size brakes on the rear and front if that's the case. He said that is a really good question. Anyone know please explain ? Is this true?

Going though a few websites I noticed something. If I put cx9 2016 the search results show me some brakes for front and rear. but if I put cx9 2017,2018 it doesnt show the same search results. which is should, from what the parts guy at dealer told me 2016-2018 all have the same braking system. I think when I put cx9 2016 it is showing me Parts for 1st Gen cx-9 since the 2nd Gen came out Mid Year. It's really a cx9 2016.5, So when I look for parts I put 2017 cx-9 to be sure im looking at 2nd Gen cx-9 parts.

I need help finding aftermarket brakes ASAP. Brakes and rotor if i have to don't matter. also why is it hard to find rear set? I find front set almost everywhere.

btw I would like brakes from a reputable known company/brand.

Sites I've been to

Autozone
amazon
autoanything.com
powerstop.com
bremboparts.com
advanceautoparts.com
HawkPerformance.com
boschautoparts.com

Centric makes pads for the 2016+ CX-9. 105.12580 for the front pads, 105.19340 for the rear.

I have to say, I haven't actually used these particular brakes, but I used Centric pads and rotors on a previous generation CX-9 and have been happy with them.

And just to echo what others have said, it sure seems like there is something amiss with your car - I have never worn out the rear pads before the front on any car I've ever owned.

Centric makes pads for the 2016+ CX-9. 105.12580 for the front pads, 105.19340 for the rear.

And just to echo what others have said, it sure seems like there is something amiss with your car - I have never worn out the rear pads before the front on any car I've ever owned.
Try owning/driving a few Nissans.
I've had Sentras and Altimas, and everyone of them required rear brake service twice as often as the fronts.
The rears also required caliper replacement before the fronts. Garbage brakes.

Back