HUD Field of view

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
I was driving a CX5 with HUD and I noticed that the field of view of the HUD is a little limited. If I would reposition myself in drivers seat and my head was 2+ inches either to the left or right of my initial setup, I would lose the display.

It seems as though the sweet spot is limited and if you move your original seating and head position, the HUD starts to disappear.

I've had HUD on a Corvette before and the view range was more vast. Is the CX5's range limited by the windshield or the display projection?

You do know you can adjust the height, brightness etc of the HUD.

You do know you can adjust the height, brightness etc of the HUD.

Yes, but even with adjusting it to center it, if I lean over or move my original position while driving. The HUD goes out of focus/view.

I guess my point is that the field of view is pretty small and once it's set, if you move much when driving, as I do, the HUD goes out of view. I just wish Mazda would have made the field of view larger. Most drivers shift around while driving and don't sit exactly in the same spot.

Fair enough.

Guess when I drove it during my test drives, I really didn't encounter any issue like this. I was pretty much locked into my seat and didn't move around very much.

I'll know more when I eventually get my CX-5.

Yes it is possible to move your head and be positioned outside of the viewing angle of the HUD system.

I haven't found it to be a problem in regular use though, my head doesn't change positions that much or at least not enough to not see the HUD display.

What is more of a nuisance is polarized sun glasses - they shrink this area of HUD viewing by quite a bit. If you tested wearing sunglasses, test without, there is a big difference. Even changing the angle or direction of my face can affect the HUD viewing when wearing sunglasses. I turned up brightness to max and that helps some.

EDIT - and it is not like a driver needs to see HUD display all the time. So if i lose it for a bit, it is not the worst thing.

I was driving a CX5 with HUD and I noticed that the field of view of the HUD is a little limited. If I would reposition myself in drivers seat and my head was 2+ inches either to the left or right of my initial setup, I would lose the display.

It seems as though the sweet spot is limited and if you move your original seating and head position, the HUD starts to disappear.

I've had HUD on a Corvette before and the view range was more vast. Is the CX5's range limited by the windshield or the display projection?

Yeah, I notice this a lot, especially if I change the seat position. I tend to shift around my posture. It usually only bothers me when i start driving. Would be nice if the field were 20 or 30% larger.

I have the pop up hud in my cx5 with a separate plastic screen and it is bright and not that sensitive to the placement of head.

Just came back from a 300Km round trip and two things impressed me.
(1) the fuel consumption of about 7,8 lit/100 km driving at 110-120km/hour.
(2) The pop up hood, where the figures and symbols projected were bright even in bright sun light and not only that but the figures and symbols seem to move in the same direction as the head until they disappear at the edge of the plastic pop up hood.

Last edited:
While I'd like the field a little bigger, the HUD is one of the best things about my 2018. I love it, and is a requirement for future cars as far as I'm concerned.

I'd choose to have it work undimmed by polarized glasses over getting a bigger field of view. It isn't a big deal, just something I notice.

The projection area is pretty small. I lose sight of it when I move my head to the far left or right but never a problem because, like said above, I don't move my head around a lot during normal driving. I've found my sweet spot in both my seat and HUD and saved it in the memory seat setting. I noticed the HUD settings get saved too.

I wonder if the HUD display is regulated as to size and such? My guess would be yes.

I don’t move around while driving so i haven’t run into the loss of vision thing. The polarized sunglasses issue is a annoyance but I turn the brightness up to high to still see it.

I wonder if the HUD display is regulated as to size and such? My guess would be yes.

I don’t move around while driving so i haven’t run into the loss of vision thing. The polarized sunglasses issue is a annoyance but I turn the brightness up to high to still see it.

It is bright enough to see with my polarized glasses, but still below optimal even with brightness maxed. I have 2 nice pair of polarized glasses, and now some $6 Amazon special unpolarized that I've been using. The brightness setting is inconvenient enough to change that its easier to just use crappy glasses than to change it when I'm wearing sunglasses.

I've also noticed the display issue with polarized sunglasses. I have prescription polarized Oakley sunglasses and could barely see the display. I've since tinted the windshield 70% and the display is much more easily viewable through polarized sunglasses while leaving them on auto brightness setting. It's also much more legible without sunglasses on too.

If polarized glasses are a problem, why not get some non-polarized for driving? Mine don't affect the HUD at all.

Doubt it. There are other vehicles out there with roughly the same glass area and they have a larger HUD display. Depends on how much the manufacturer wants

The projection area is pretty small. I lose sight of it when I move my head to the far left or right but never a problem because, like said above, I don't move my head around a lot during normal driving. I've found my sweet spot in both my seat and HUD and saved it in the memory seat setting. I noticed the HUD settings get saved too.

Yes, I was trying to drive without the HUD in my field of vision earlier today. I can't see how this can be an issue unless you really change your driving posture. I had to change from sitting up to leaning over onto the center armrest, or hunching very far forward. I just don't change positions to those extremes even on long trips.

Yes, I was trying to drive without the HUD in my field of vision earlier today. I can't see how this can be an issue unless you really change your driving posture. I had to change from sitting up to leaning over onto the center armrest, or hunching very far forward. I just don't change positions to those extremes even on long trips.

(iagree)

My seat position has always the same. I might slide a little bit down in the seat but that isn't enough for me to change my entire view point.

Do you drive like this? :p
36a206fa990e511ac60fe24769a292aa.gif

I move around by not like the above GIF (spin)

It's usually on the longer journeys that I start to shift around.

Back