CD Player

I'm 80, the thing is, I was not concerned about a CD Player being installed, I assumed it had one, my mistake, but the way the console is in the 2018, I don't see where they could install it. Will try the thumb drive as suggested in other replys. What is the difference (not counting size) between my WD portable storage and a thumb drive, they both use a USB port, I don't understand how one can work and the other cannot. Thanks.

The power / amperage requirement for a hard drive is greater.

I like supporting artists too. They don't make s*** on Spotify.

Another thing to consider is when these internet streaming services go out of business. A lot of them never turn a profit, just keep getting revenue from their stock.
Eventually it will collapse then where is your music?

Here's a picture showing the CD/DVD player location from a Japanese CX-5. Many countries get CD player but unfortunately Mazda North American Operations decided not to offer it to US customers.

Mazda North America always gets ripped off. No folding mirrors, no CD/DVD option, no true Adaptive LED headlights, no diesel, no forward parking cameras, etc.

Too bad one can't buy a CX5 in Europe and ship it over to the USA.

It works both ways. You could lose all your media due to fire, theft, etc.
Not if you've got a good backup system.

You've got much more control and compatibility with your own library than you would with any streaming service. They might be good for sampling new music, I suppose.

But like adog sez, why pay more?

Sadly, they don't make s*** from their recordings regardless of medium.
SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC!
There's a giant disparity though. They may make a dollar per album sold. That's significantly more than .489 cents per play on Spotify which was what it was last time I looked. I actually talked to the lead singer of Everclear briefly about this. Thier last album sold 10,000 copies in the first week. That same week it was streamed 250,000 times. They made quite a bit more on those album sales.
Do agree though...support live music!

The problem with streaming is that when the internet goes down, you have no music.

Not true at all. You can download tracks to your devices for offline playback. I have about 30GB of music on my iPhone downloaded from Apple Music.

There's a giant disparity though. They may make a dollar per album sold. That's significantly more than .489 cents per play on Spotify which was what it was last time I looked. I actually talked to the lead singer of Everclear briefly about this. Thier last album sold 10,000 copies in the first week. That same week it was streamed 250,000 times. They made quite a bit more on those album sales.
Do agree though...support live music!

It's not really a fair comparison. With physical media, they make a one-time lump sum income when you buy it. With streaming media, it's more like an annuity where it'll come in slower but more steady (as long as your music is good enough for people to keep listening to).

It's fair. Bands make significantly more money on sales vs streams. Did I say .496 cents per stream?
My bad, I forgot some zeros. I meant
.006 - .0084 cents.
"In fact, UC Irvine media studies professor Peter Krapp told Mashable it would take*about 4 millionSpotify streams*for a songwriter to make minimum wage in California over the course of a month."
I've done a lot of looking into this last year.
Bands make under 10% per sale, either single track or album. Usually closer to 7 or 8, let's go with 8 for my Everclear example.
250,000 Spotify streams is about $1,300 in revenue. 10,000 albums sold at $10 each is $8,000.
Almost 5 months of streaming, hopefully at that same level, is equal to one week of sales.
If you sold a million albums, you don't need a part time job versus streaming a million a month.
Yea, I get what you mean...at least that's ongoing income. And yea, that's awesome! But fact most bands want you to buy thier CDs or Digital albums and go see them in a show versus listening on Spotify. It's far more lucrative.

Although this could all change with recent litigation.

https://mashable.com/2018/01/31/copyright-court-rules-streaming-companies-have-to-pay-artists-more/

Last edited:
It works both ways. You could lose all your media due to fire, theft, etc.

My internet connection goes dead maybe 5-6 times per year.

People's homes don't burn down 5-6 times per year or get broken into 5-6 times per year.

Last edited:
The way I see it is that streaming should actually encourage bands to produce albums/songs that will have listening power that lasts longer than a few weeks. Far too often albums have been released with one or two "good" songs that are only popular for a month or so. Those are the bands that are penalized the most in the new revenue system. It's definitely a challenge, but the music industry has been historically slow to adapt to paradigm changes and this is just another example. There's a way artists can thrive, but they're not helping get there.

Not so fast. Last year CD's & Vinyl actually sold more than digital copies (mp3). People want a physical media like the album cover where they can touch it, read the liner notes, read the lyrics, thumb through the cover art, etc.

So don't knock CD's & vinyl because stats show they are holding strong and out paced mp3 last year when it came to sales.

As a matter of fact, Sony announced it is opening up a record factory because demand is high. Sony is having a hard time finding record engineers since they all retired and nobody young took on the trade so they are calling them back from retirement.

Digital music is much more then MP3's and lets just talk about CD's because we are talking about music in cars. Best buy will not be selling CD's as of this summer. Digital sales has passed physical media sales since the 1st half of 2017. I would venture to say that Records are out selling CD's now. So that's the reason autos maker will be not putting CD players in cars going forward. Even Oppo a well known BD, CD, SACD spinner has stopped making their machines for home use.

So you can see the writing on the wall, physical media is on its way out. The only thing that might survive will be Records because with the right setup they do sound better then anything else but you can't play them in a car. ;)

Last edited:
The way I see it is that streaming should actually encourage bands to produce albums/songs that will have listening power that lasts longer than a few weeks.
How many albums have ever done that? Very few, I would guess. The number of albums that have ever achieved that kind of success is very few. Thriller was the best example of this staying in the Billboard Top 10 for 12 MONTHS. That's near impossible to achieve and even less so in this 'modern' age.
When I bought Volbeat's new album "Seal the Deal and Let's Boogie" I listened to that incessantly for the first week. I listened to "Black Rose" and "The Devil's Bleeding Crown" at LEAST 20 times in a row. That simply cannot last MONTHS. Unsustainable, I don't care if you are Volbeat or Katy Perry.
BTW that album sold 51,000 in the first week of sales in the US, 8,336 in their home market of Denmark (the highest of 2016) and 4,083 in the UK, and eventually went Platinum in Germany (over 200,000). So yea, they made good money on those sales.

Far too often albums have been released with one or two "good" songs that are only popular for a month or so.
You make it sound like they do it on purpose. LOL I gotta believe they think every track is good.

There's a way artists can thrive, but they're not helping get there.
Yes, but it s NOT streaming sales on Spotify. I still prefer Pandora because it is good at what I want it to be good at: helping me find new music. Usually winding up in me buying it and possibly going to a show. This is what Streaming should be about. Not this completely unsustainable business model (Spotify lost 1.5 BILLION in 2017). Spotify is going to have to raise prices eventually. And you are at their mercy.

Another reason I prefer to buy music. What if, god forbid, something happens to me and I can't work? Or what if I someday manage to retire and want to minimize my expenses? I'll always have the music I paid for. Or what if simply: I am sick and tired of everything charging me every month? Netflix, HBO, Spotify, Microsoft Office... I mean, my god every time I turn around someone is selling something else for a low monthly fee. lol
Again, to clarify, my wife has Spotify and I use her account a lot. But I still buy music. If you really like music, you should to. ;) (IMO, as always)

If you're primarily concerned about maximizing the artist's payday, use Apple Music. They pay out much more than Spotify.

You're right, they do, but I hate Apple. I'm doing my part by purchasing music I really love. ;)

The problem with streaming is that when the internet goes down, you have no music.

I don't want some "cloud" based server to have control of my music. I want to be in control. I can turn play it when I want to without relying on some server in Texas or wherever accessing it which requires an internet connection.

Spotify's premium option allows you to download your playlists to your device so it works with no internet.

How many albums have ever done that? Very few, I would guess. The number of albums that have ever achieved that kind of success is very few. Thriller was the best example of this staying in the Billboard Top 10 for 12 MONTHS. That's near impossible to achieve and even less so in this 'modern' age.
When I bought Volbeat's new album "Seal the Deal and Let's Boogie" I listened to that incessantly for the first week. I listened to "Black Rose" and "The Devil's Bleeding Crown" at LEAST 20 times in a row. That simply cannot last MONTHS. Unsustainable, I don't care if you are Volbeat or Katy Perry.
BTW that album sold 51,000 in the first week of sales in the US, 8,336 in their home market of Denmark (the highest of 2016) and 4,083 in the UK, and eventually went Platinum in Germany (over 200,000). So yea, they made good money on those sales.

You make it sound like they do it on purpose. LOL I gotta believe they think every track is good.

Yes, but it s NOT streaming sales on Spotify. I still prefer Pandora because it is good at what I want it to be good at: helping me find new music. Usually winding up in me buying it and possibly going to a show. This is what Streaming should be about. Not this completely unsustainable business model (Spotify lost 1.5 BILLION in 2017). Spotify is going to have to raise prices eventually. And you are at their mercy.

Another reason I prefer to buy music. What if, god forbid, something happens to me and I can't work? Or what if I someday manage to retire and want to minimize my expenses? I'll always have the music I paid for. Or what if simply: I am sick and tired of everything charging me every month? Netflix, HBO, Spotify, Microsoft Office... I mean, my god every time I turn around someone is selling something else for a low monthly fee. lol
Again, to clarify, my wife has Spotify and I use her account a lot. But I still buy music. If you really like music, you should to. ;) (IMO, as always)

I pay $10 / mo for Spotify premium. I'd gladly pay $20 (or more) if the balance went directly to the artists I listen to. Spotify could earn themselves a lot of goodwill by offering this as an option at least.

I now listen to far more music than I ever did before streaming. Buying an album used to be kind of a crapshoot - $15 for one good song sometimes. Then it would live, unlistened to, on a shelf. Wasteful. Digital solved this problem, but slashed the revenue as a result. Album sales were never great for artists though - many only made a few cents with the rest going to middlemen. Some top artists could negotiate better deals, but it was still a small percentage.

Personally the best part of using Spotify premium is the "discovery" part of the features, you can pick a song/artist/album you like and create a "radio" that filled with similar songs that you might not have heard before, you can also like/unlike the songs from the radio to "tune" the station to more of your personal taste. I used this feature all the time and found so many songs I enjoyed more than before. I still have a usb stick with more than 4500 songs from my itunes library which I listen to from time to time, however, its become less so because of how esay you can find songs you enjoy without spending hours in a record store like I used to when I was a teenager (remember those silver cd listening stations at HMVs? those were the days...:p)

Guys, I have a problem, maybe you could help me. I have hundreds of 8 tracks at home and I need to figure out a way to get them to play on my infotainment system. I know it would be far easier to just copy music to a USB drive and put it in the USB port and then all my problems go away but I literally have hundreds of 8 tracks and I refuse to give them up. Any and all help appreciated.

Guys, I have a problem, maybe you could help me. I have hundreds of 8 tracks at home and I need to figure out a way to get them to play on my infotainment system. I know it would be far easier to just copy music to a USB drive and put it in the USB port and then all my problems go away but I literally have hundreds of 8 tracks and I refuse to give them up. Any and all help appreciated.

Just from Googling: http://www.katestrackshack.com/transferservice.htm

Back