CD Player

BudE18

:
2018 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring
Purchased a 2018 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring, now I notice that it does not have a CD Player, figured I could use a mass storage device (portable) to play music, owners manual says cannot do this, audio does not support this, any way around this, only way I see to play my music is to use my laptop. Any ideas.

Put music on a USB memory stick. Insert USB stick into the USB slot of the infotainment system.

Yes, easy as pie. I have about 50 CD's on one stick with room for about 100 more. I thought I would miss the CD player but I don't.

As far as the quality argument I can't tell the difference. USB sounds as good as the CD player (I have a CD player in my 16).

Purchased a 2018 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring, now I notice that it does not have a CD Player, figured I could use a mass storage device (portable) to play music, owners manual says cannot do this, audio does not support this, any way around this, only way I see to play my music is to use my laptop. Any ideas.
Usb with tour favourite playlists?

USB players are not actually considered mass storage devices in USB definition - you need to use a USB thumb drive as mass storage as others have mentioned. Or a phone with music mounted as mass storage.

Prolly a power requirement issue and some (mostly older) harddrives need extra power. It uses USB 2.0 which doesn't deliver much. Just use a thumb drive or ipod/phone

Prolly a power requirement issue and some (mostly older) harddrives need extra power. It uses USB 2.0 which doesn't deliver much. Just use a thumb drive or ipod/phone

CD players don't present themselves as other mass storage devices to - although power may be an issue, it is likely more around controls and how data is presented. CDs have a different standard for how data is read and written then other mass storage devices.

CD players don't present themselves as other mass storage devices to - although power may be an issue, it is likely more around controls and how data is presented. CDs have a different standard for how data is read and written then other mass storage devices.

That's not OP's issue. OP's appears to be regarding certain mass storage.

That's not OP's issue. OP's appears to be regarding certain mass storage.

It wasn't clear to me as OP said " figured I could use a mass storage device (portable) to play music, "

Since all mass storage devices are portable, and the title is CD player, I assume he was trying to use a portable CD player. There are many USB CD players for PCs, so not an unusual idea and some people think of them as mass storage devices.

I'm sorry... but how does one buy a car and not notice things like this???

Just download ur music to a thumb drive and put into the US port in the console

I think the correct question is....how old is he?

Not so fast. Last year CD's & Vinyl actually sold more than digital copies (mp3). People want a physical media like the album cover where they can touch it, read the liner notes, read the lyrics, thumb through the cover art, etc.

So don't knock CD's & vinyl because stats show they are holding strong and out paced mp3 last year when it came to sales.

As a matter of fact, Sony announced it is opening up a record factory because demand is high. Sony is having a hard time finding record engineers since they all retired and nobody young took on the trade so they are calling them back from retirement.

Not so fast. Last year CD's & Vinyl actually sold more than digital copies (mp3). People want a physical media like the album cover where they can touch it, read the liner notes, read the lyrics, thumb through the cover art, etc.

So don't knock CD's & vinyl because stats show they are holding strong and out paced mp3 last year when it came to sales.

As a matter of fact, Sony announced it is opening up a record factory because demand is high. Sony is having a hard time finding record engineers since they all retired and nobody young took on the trade so they are calling them back from retirement.

Streaming has put a bigger dent in mp3 sales than physical media. I haven't bought a digital song in many years...because I have Spotify.

Have Spotify. Still buy music.
LBear, do you have a source for your sales statistic?

Streaming has put a bigger dent in mp3 sales than physical media. I haven't bought a digital song in many years...because I have Spotify.

The problem with streaming is that when the internet goes down, you have no music.

I don't want some "cloud" based server to have control of my music. I want to be in control. I can turn play it when I want to without relying on some server in Texas or wherever accessing it which requires an internet connection.

Last edited:
The problem with streaming is that when the internet goes down, you have no music.

I don't want some "cloud" based server to have control of my music. I want to be in control. I can turn play it when I want to without relying on some server in Texas or wherever accessing it which requires an internet connection.

It works both ways. You could lose all your media due to fire, theft, etc.

Each option has its pros and cons. One could argue about the cost of streaming, but at $10 month, many people would never get close to the cost of an average size music library. But if you already bought the library, why spend money to stream what you own?

For me, I am just cheap. I can't stand another monthly fee. So I am happy with radio and ripping all the discs i own. But my daughter uses Spotify and builds her own library - she does get a student discount too, so for her it is more affordable.

I like supporting artists too. They don't make s*** on Spotify.

I think the correct question is....how old is he?

I'm 80, the thing is, I was not concerned about a CD Player being installed, I assumed it had one, my mistake, but the way the console is in the 2018, I don't see where they could install it. Will try the thumb drive as suggested in other replys. What is the difference (not counting size) between my WD portable storage and a thumb drive, they both use a USB port, I don't understand how one can work and the other cannot. Thanks.

I'm 80, the thing is, I was not concerned about a CD Player being installed, I assumed it had one, my mistake, but the way the console is in the 2018, I don't see where they could install it. Will try the thumb drive as suggested in other replys. What is the difference (not counting size) between my WD portable storage and a thumb drive, they both use a USB port, I don't understand how one can work and the other cannot. Thanks.
Here's a picture showing the CD/DVD player location from a Japanese CX-5. Many countries get CD player but unfortunately Mazda North American Operations decided not to offer it to US customers.

attachment.php

IMG_9827.PNG

The reason why the infotainment system in your 2018 CX-5 supports a USB thumb drive but not your USB WD portable storage is because it doesn't have device driver (a software program to handle communication between devices) for your WD portable storage. Your computer can accept any USB devices is becausd it can load new device drivers to support any new USB devices, but we can't load any new device drivers into our infotainment system, unless someone writes a device driver program, and hack the system to load the device driver.

Attachments

• IMG_9821.PNG
    IMG_9821.PNG
    216.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_9824.PNG
    IMG_9824.PNG
    208.3 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Back