2018 CX-9 problems - towed twice to the dealer.

My second visit to the service center. The AC stopped cooling midway (thankfully, the engine didn't switch off). Not exactly the problem LemonCX9's car had but I have had three episodes now -

Around 400km, AC stopped cooling, on engine restart worked fine (no action)

950km, engine switched off on freeway, linked to switching on ac (took to service station, no problem found)

1140km, AC stopped cooling midway, have given to service station, they have opened a warranty file noting all three incidents

Still being patient,

We bought a Jetta VR6 back in the day. Top of the line with BBSs and every bell and whistle they could pile on.

Weird, because this same issue is pretty much what the VW did to us. Driving along, suddenly every electrical component would die. No gauges, no lights, nothing. 2 minutes later the car would die, never to restart until after being towed to the dealer. This happened about 6 times, but they always go it going again. One day I picked the car up, they told me it was fine, and I demanded to take a tech for a drive. The car died again, he couldn't get it going and we had to towed back to the dealership again.

I just never went back to pick it up and quit paying every month. They sent me a few threatening letters, but eventually they stopped. I lemon law'd the thing without lifting a finger. Sure I was out my 2000 dollar Bronco II trade-in, but we also had the car for a year or so, so it worked out.

That's when I bought my Protege and never looked back. This little Mazda has been bulletproof for over 15 years. Sucks you're having this problem with Mazdas, but cars are getting so complicated these days. Every new feature is something else that can **** up. Even the new BMW M5s are having issues and being recalled over computerized crap.

Two items changed - the battery (deformed as it was discharging too quickly), and AC compressor. They have kept the car for test drives overnight. My concern is they didn't find anything amiss like a week before. I am kinda ok taking it back this time, but very unsure if something happens a third time.

Apologize for taking over the thread. Got the car back this afternoon and the same AC issue again in the evening . Worst part, the codes don't say anything at all, nothing on the warning list as well. Asked for a replacement by a new unit as a first step, they think they can still retrieve. I am not convinced of taking the car onto the road anymore.

Dont get me wrong. Cx9 is a great vehicle. I do wish they offered V6.

I did like Mazda and still do. Beautiful cars. For what its worth, the buying agent told us that this was his first Mazda buyout ever. He does a lot of Chryslers and Maseratis.

But, we are in BMW now and we are very happy. Probably should of go that route from the beginning. I am just glad that Mazda moved quick and bought the car back.
Exactly why I am not buying CX-9. I have 2011 3.7 and unless they put v6 back in it I am not buying 2 liter 4 banger and I dont care what kind of turbo is in there. It is a 2 ton truck that is supposed to carry 6l7 passengers and tow. I so love everything esle about new cx-9 though. Maybe next year they will offer another engine....

Exactly why I am not buying CX-9. I have 2011 3.7 and unless they put v6 back in it I am not buying 2 liter 4 banger and I dont care what kind of turbo is in there. It is a 2 ton truck that is supposed to carry 6l7 passengers and tow. I so love everything esle about new cx-9 though. Maybe next year they will offer another engine....

I don't think they'll be going back to the V6. On paper, there are no advantages to switching back. The 3.7 has the same tow rating and the 2.5T, but the 2.5T is a little bit faster and a lot more fuel-efficient.

About a month ago, the wife and I packed up our belongings and moved two provinces over. I loaded down the CX-9 with over 900 lbs of cargo (not including the occupants). Of course, I wasn't towing a 2000 lb trailer or anything, but the car behaved exactly as I expected it to, and at no point during my trip did I feel that I lacked passing power when overtaking slower drivers. Just my experience, YMMV.

I don't think they'll be going back to the V6. On paper, there are no advantages to switching back. The 3.7 has the same tow rating and the 2.5T, but the 2.5T is a little bit faster and a lot more fuel-efficient.

About a month ago, the wife and I packed up our belongings and moved two provinces over. I loaded down the CX-9 with over 900 lbs of cargo (not including the occupants). Of course, I wasn't towing a 2000 lb trailer or anything, but the car behaved exactly as I expected it to, and at no point during my trip did I feel that I lacked passing power when overtaking slower drivers. Just my experience, YMMV.
I understand. This is exactly why the put turbo in it. I am questioning mileage life span big time. I know that turbo for example need to be replaced every 100k miles or so and that is a big buck. And the sound of 4 cylinder engine is just not there... i get all the mileage/taxes/insurance/emnission situation and I know you cant avoid it but I believe a lot of people turn away from cx-9 because of that 2.5 turbo. On Mazda 6 this 2.5 turbo is perfect and fantastic. On cx-9 not so much.

Or at least give is some torque rich forever running diesel or something, f@#k I would take that! :)

<snip> but I believe a lot of people turn away from cx-9 because of that 2.5 turbo. On Mazda 6 this 2.5 turbo is perfect and fantastic. On cx-9 not so much.

I agree that a lot of people think this way, and never bother to drive the car. If they did, they*d realize that despite being a 4banger, the motor delivers more torque at 2000rpm than many V6*s. It also pulls like a freight train up to 5000rpm. It's surprising for an I4, but most people just hear I4 and go *next*. Also most people don*t even realize many luxury cars are I4T*s...bmw 528 is a 4 cylinder! No way I*d pay that kind of money for a 4banger...(that*s the thought process anyway...).

EDIT: Found a partial listing of 4 cyl current "luxury" models:
Audi A3.
Audi A4 2.0T.
Audi A5 2.0T.
Acura ILX.
BMW 228i.
Buick Verano.
Buick LaCrosse.
Cadillac ATS
Lexus ES300h
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Mercedes-Benz C300
Mercedes-Benz CLA
Volvo S60

It's the wave of the future folks, aside from electric cars it's probably the biggest growing segment today.

Last edited:
A lot of it is outdated perceptions on engine size. Not long ago, 4-cylinder engines were indeed for light duty use only. Many people still associate them with economy cars only. Today is a whole new ballgame. Across the automotive spectrum, you'll notice so many segments have dropped 2-cyclinders from years past while also being more powerful, fuel efficient, and even quieter.

V6's used to be the norm or at least sell as much in mid-size cars as 4-cyclinder counterparts. Now, V-6 mid-sizers are almost extinct.

The Lexus LS had a V-8 from 1990-2017. It now has a V-6 (turbo) only and is much more powerful than the V-8's.

The following CX-9 sized vehicles have 4-bangers (only or available).

- Volvo XC-90
- Subaru Ascent
- Ford Explorer
- Chevrolet Traverse
- GMC Acadia
- Toyota Highlander
- VW Altas
- Audi Q7
There's others but these are off the top of my head. Would all these automakers risk their reputations if the engines weren't going to last?

And now for 2019, we will see the 1st full-size pick-up with a 4-cylinder. It will have over 300 HP. More power than V-8's just a short time ago.

Drive the CX-9. It feels more powerful than any competitor except for V-8 Durangos and Explorer twin turbo V-6's.

Even the new Chevy Silverado will have an optional 2.7L turbo I4, that can run on 2 cylinders under minimal loads. A 4 cylinder pick up truck. SMH

Latest posts

Back