2018 CX-9 problems - towed twice to the dealer.

Thanks, not sure what I did there.

I need a math lesson. Why does .00004 turn to .004 as a percentage?

Because the number you get after doing the dividing still needs to be turned into a percentage, which requires shifting the decimal point two spots to the left (i.e. multiplying the number by 100).

Simple example:

1/100 = .01 = 1% = .01 x 100

Because the number you get after doing the dividing still needs to be turned into a percentage, which requires shifting the decimal point two spots to the left (i.e. multiplying the number by 100).

Simple example:

1/100 = .01 = 1% = .01 x 100

Oh yeah, duh. I was thinking in terms of basic numbers. I don't do math anymore.

I wouldn't fret, as potential buyers. These types of horror stories can be found for just about every single new model out right now, yes the Hondas and Toyotas included. Check out their forums. I just ended my months-long research/car shopping by purchasing a 2018 Traverse. I can assure you, nobody is more concerned about cost of ownership, overall quality, reliability and longevity than me right now. XD
But, it's my wife's lesson to learn. Just couldn't convince her the CX-9 was the right vehicle. :)

Many of these gremlins have simple solutions, but understandably, the car is hexed to the owners after one or more occurrences of leaving them stranded...

I wouldn't fret, as potential buyers. These types of horror stories can be found for just about every single new model out right now, yes the Hondas and Toyotas included. Check out their forums. I just ended my months-long research/car shopping by purchasing a 2018 Traverse. I can assure you, nobody is more concerned about cost of ownership, overall quality, reliability and longevity than me right now. XD
But, it's my wife's lesson to learn. Just couldn't convince her the CX-9 was the right vehicle. :)

Many of these gremlins have simple solutions, but understandably, the car is hexed to the owners after one or more occurrences of leaving them stranded...

Yup. I was on numerous forums while I was considering the CX-9. When I talk of new models needing new transmissions and other major fixes, it actually includes models like the 2017+ Highlander, Pilot, etc. The models that have the reputation of being the most reliable. Highlander is synonymous with "reliability" yet on ToyotaNation, many owners have had lots of problems. Still doesn't mean it's common for everyone but in the pool of millions of new vehicles selling each year, you're going to have complaints online that makes a model look bad.

Totally agree with the general sentiment here that online forums or other places where owners can discuss cars will tend to make the cars seem far more unreliable than they really are. If I always believed that my cars would be as unreliable as forums make them seem, then I don't know if I could ever handle worrying about the issues all the time.

That said, I'm still feeling good about the CX-9 in general and it's still #1 on my shortlist. I definitely feel for the owners having issues with their cars though, these issues are worth being concerned over.

Thought I would provide you guys with some updates.

As I mentioned earlier, I called Mazda corporate. I spoke with a gentlemen there, told him the problem and he gave me a case number. He said that they need to call the dealership to find out what the progress is, etc. and that he will call me "tomorrow" with an update. That was over 2 weeks ago. We did not receive a call from the dealer or Mazda at all with any updates on the car. Nothing.

We are past 30 days, so on Monday (not dealing with it today or this weekend), we will start the process of demanding full refund. Hopefully, that will not take long because my wife needs a car.

Super disappointing.

Sorry to hear this, it's disappointing to spend a good amount of money on a new car only to have it go bad on you so quickly. Had I experienced the same issues, I would likely be doing the same (asking for a complete refund, and running away from the brand). I also have a 2018 but it's been flawless in its operation since day 1, but I only have about 8,000miles on it so there's still plenty of time! (lol2)

Seriously, I hope Mazda NA does right by you and buys the car back. It may be worth giving the brand a second chance as the CX-9 is really nice when it operates correctly, but I completely understand why that may not be in the cards. Good luck!

Well, so I spoke with both dealership and Mazda NA. As I mentioned, I had a case opened with Mazda for this. They offered to replace the car with a new one that is further away from the manufacturing date than ours was. Since we want a full refund instead of a replacement car, we have to go via the Lemon Law route. That means, I have to fill out paper work with BBB (already filled out initial online form) and then wait for them to send us a booklet with more information. We then have to send a certified letter to Mazda. From there, they contact us and it goes from there. This will probably take a while....but I am hoping for a fast resolution. We just want to get our money back and move on.

Well, so I spoke with both dealership and Mazda NA. As I mentioned, I had a case opened with Mazda for this. They offered to replace the car with a new one that is further away from the manufacturing date than ours was. Since we want a full refund instead of a replacement car, we have to go via the Lemon Law route. That means, I have to fill out paper work with BBB (already filled out initial online form) and then wait for them to send us a booklet with more information. We then have to send a certified letter to Mazda. From there, they contact us and it goes from there. This will probably take a while....but I am hoping for a fast resolution. We just want to get our money back and move on.

Too bad you don't want a new CX-9 replacement. 99.99% don't have the problem you experienced. Does your wife think this is common or that all Mazda's suck after this experience?

Too bad you don't want a new CX-9 replacement. 99.99% don't have the problem you experienced. Does your wife think this is common or that all Mazda's suck after this experience?

I had a lemon and honestly, it is a terrible experience. Technically it was not a "lemon" it but everything went wrong with the car after the 36K warranty expired. From the transmission to the emissions to the AWD system and the electrical system. Everything. You could not pay me to take another Subaru. I would not doubt if those people are feeling the same way and they are burned on Mazda's - for now at least.

Well.. every car company will have its share of lemons. The most important thing is how they handle the situation. In this case, Mazda is willing to exchange for a brand new vehicle which you really have no losses or gains. It's the right thing to do. You can only "blame" them for not going above and beyond by offering you vouchers/certificates for accessories for the time wasted.

Well.. every car company will have its share of lemons. The most important thing is how they handle the situation. In this case, Mazda is willing to exchange for a brand new vehicle which you really have no losses or gains. It's the right thing to do. You can only "blame" them for not going above and beyond by offering you vouchers/certificates for accessories for the time wasted.

I would agree. Honestly, offering you a complete new car is as good as it gets.

I just think it's a huge hassle to pursue the refund after they've OK'd a replacement.

Unless you have a vehicle in mind you want and think is better. I don't know of any except one's that cost $20K more.

As someone who has owned unreliable German cars and reliable ones, I will tell you that you seem to be overreacting to a lemon. As others stated there doesn't seem to be a pervasive pattern to this, and unless you get a Toyota or Lexus, Kia, or Audi, you are not going to get a statistically more reliable 3 row crossover. The Highlander is an old design and not dynamically up to par, the Lexus is small inside even with the L version, handles and accelerates poorly for the class, and costs much more, the Kia Sorento is workaday fine, but again nothing dynamically or stylistically, and the Audi Q7 will be $55K even as a near-stripper with a 2.0t engine. More like $65K with similiar equipment.

My wife does this. She has one bad event and then the car is dead to her. LOL

I'm curious as to what the replacement vehicle will be. As BrunoT points out, most other choices could prove worse. The CX-9 is the only option built in Japan which statistically proves the most reliable on average over any other country of origin.

Well, I thought I would give you guys an update.

Mazda worked with us and will be doing a buyback. We are meeting their agent at the dealer tomorrow to complete the paper work. Basically, full refund what we paid.

We already purchased 2018 X3 with all the bells and toys.

Well, I thought I would give you guys an update.

Mazda worked with us and will be doing a buyback. We are meeting their agent at the dealer tomorrow to complete the paper work. Basically, full refund what we paid.

We already purchased 2018 X3 with all the bells and toys.

You went from CX-9 to X3? 7-seater to CUV?

I would never buy a BMW after my mom and my sister's experiences with them. Lease? Sure. But I would never keep them for more than a few years. Good luck with your X3.

Back