Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: College Student First Car Build

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Funnily enough, I was a Mathematics major when I transferred from Florida to VA, love math and everything, but I failed a class and retook it the next semester and the professor was doing something and was trying to show us how the math worked, got halfway through, messed it up somewhere and looked at us and said "it works, trust me". I left, called my mom and changed to risk management and insurance lmao you should get a good paying job. My computer expert friend just got a job making almost $100k WITHOUT a degree, but he's been working full time for the last 6-8 years and can do stuff with computers I (with a little knowledge of how they work) can't even begin to comprehend.

The only reason my debt is so bad is because I use my loans to pay for rent, which ends up being $550/ month. Lived by myself last year and that was $1000 a month and the year before that we had an expensive place that was costing nearly $700 a month. Tuition is fairly cheap at like $10k a year. Last semester really got me as I got out like 21k (the max) and got a certain yellow item, a 2 wheeled item, a macbook and lord knows what else. but oh well.

Luckily my dad works in DC for the government, so I'm hoping to get a government job or the ATC job, which will both yield me pretty decent salaries, and my gf also graduates spring 2019, so definitely an advantage that we'll have 2 incomes! Time will tell, she saw me researching last night and said the gt86 at $15-20k makes more sense than the $45k mustang or truck, so I got that going for me lol
    2003 Sunburst Yellow Mazda Protege5
    Follow my instagram @another_yellowp5

Mods List
    Interior
    - JVC head unit
    -Sound Ordinance Sub woofer
    Exterior
    -WeatherTech Rain Guards
    Performance
    -HKS axle back
    -MP3 Flashed ECU (removed)
    -MazdaSpeed Protege Turbo kit
    -Tein S tech springs
    -KYB Struts
    -MSP Rear Sway Bar
    -CR3 Relocation Brackets
    -FMIC kit

Registered Member

lolmsp

as expensive as some goodies are for the car, it's cheaper than a car payment and premium insurance. but all said and done it's prolly best to finish school and get a job first if you're tight on monies.
    03 MSP, 03 P5

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Very true about the car payment and whatnot. I'm hoping a good enough deal comes thru the dealership I work at before I leave after school. But I also just want a newer car, I've always driven older ones and its kind of a treat.

I definitely have time to think and weigh the options, but I just want to pay some debt off.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

So my the P5 has been chillin. I think it'll need a clutch soon (the bite point is almost all the way up and the car is very jerky at times, no slipping though) but Saturday I had to reseal my girlfriend's oil pan gasket on her 2013 sonata, and it is honestly the biggest job I've taken on on a car. But today I was driving to the mall to get her MacBook looked at and this happens. This is the stupidity in the 757 area code. As bad as it sounds (and she agrees with me) I hate it happened at all, but I'm glad it wasn't in the P5 as with 240k miles I don't think I'd get more than $600 and a "good luck with a new car" (I cannot afford a car payment in any way as school sucks most of my money) Basically, I have the best luck with motor vehicles. Timing chain with the P5, the accident 3 weeks after I got it, my truck is a mechanical joke (it become a snowball, fix one thing and 3 others break, so I stopped dumping the money into it), my r6 is having some weird issues idling and randomly stalls when I pull in the clutch (very interesting when you're doing about 95 on a highway), and then this. When does it stop? lmao
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WCa...ew?usp=sharing
    I hope the video plays audio, cause you can hear me deny he's about to do the uturn and then he proceeded to do it and me cussing. I turned the car off as soon as I hit him (i didn't know if it was going to be leaking oil or coolant) and didn't want to damage the vehicle more and that cut out me asking him if he was fucking serious and that he had to be fucking kidding me. There's another video of me pacing around cause we had just put a lot of time into her car recently. 3 hours fixing her bumper from a fender bender a few years ago, 6 hours on the oil pan, and she's almost paid it off and isn't in the position to buy a new car/start paying on a new loan. Oh well, waiting on his insurance to get back to us
    Last edited by Gabe710; 07-22-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

lolmsp

Yeah dude. This area is terrible. I have to drive though greenbrier for work and it*s gotta be the worst in this area. Sadly you just have to drive thinking everyone is out to get you to stay safe

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Yeah dude. This area is terrible. I have to drive though Greenbrier for work and it*s gotta be the worst in this area. Sadly you just have to drive thinking everyone is out to get you to stay safe
    I typically try to avoid that area lmao we were over at the Ashley's on 7/3 and 4 to buy and pick up a mattress and I remembered why I avoid that area at all costs.
    I never take the motorcycle out because of the horrible drivers and this area has made me hate driving with the flat, traffic-packed roads. I miss the country backroads man. Pungo is so far outta my way I never go and everything south of here is a 45 minute drive

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

Subbing, nice build so far man. Sorry about that ca'moron, I swear it's always the dumbest people with the most expensive cars. I feel you and Riot with the whole budget vs parts dilemma, I'm not in college but with my pay rate I sure wish I woulda went haha. Hopefully no one will crush the little p5, these cars are getting kinda hard to find for the right price

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by STudMUffin1177 View Post
    ... Hopefully no one will crush the little p5, these cars are getting kinda hard to find for the right price
    Or the right condition...

Eeeewww !!!,....
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

When I saw that I literally choked on my drink haha, but that poor little protege so much rust

2002 mazda protege 5

Yup !! We really like to salt things up here in the northeast... We love our salt.

Doesn't this one look all sporty !!!

So come on everybody !!!
    Show your rust !!

I'll start...

Rear caliper FTW !!

And this...
    It's the backside of my carpet showing...

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Holy shit that collision almost made me shit a brick. Goddamn I hate ignorant and uneducated drivers! They're everywhere, holy shit! What a brainless and selfish move that pinhead pulled. Thank god you got yourself a dashcam to protect yourself with. There's no way he's getting out of this one, unless he's an uninsured dipshit on lien. Either way, glad you're alright. You can always replace body panels and cars, after all.

And ugh, thanks for showing me why I shouldn't move northeast, PCB :^)
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX Short Shifter ■ OBX 4-1 Headers

Registered Member

lolmsp

Hey which dash can do you have and how is it mounted? I*m becoming to think it*s a requirement to have one driving around these areas present day. Thanks

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by STudMUffin1177 View Post
    Subbing, nice build so far man. Sorry about that ca'moron, I swear it's always the dumbest people with the most expensive cars. I feel you and Riot with the whole budget vs parts dilemma, I'm not in college but with my pay rate I sure wish I woulda went haha. Hopefully no one will crush the little p5, these cars are getting kinda hard to find for the right price
    Thanks man!
    I had honestly never heard of the P5 until I found a single one on Craigslist locally. I love the car and am glad I got it instead of the civic I wanted.
    As for the mods, Iíll probably just wait a little while to see what is wrong with the bike and see if Iíll need a clutch for the Mazda but I think another $1500 and Iíll be done until I paint it and whatnot.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    Holy shit that collision almost made me shit a brick. Goddamn I hate ignorant and uneducated drivers! They're everywhere, holy shit! What a brainless and selfish move that pinhead pulled. Thank god you got yourself a dashcam to protect yourself with. There's no way he's getting out of this one, unless he's an uninsured dipshit on lien. Either way, glad you're alright. You can always replace body panels and cars, after all.

And ugh, thanks for showing me why I shouldn't move northeast, PCB :^)
    He tried to tell the officer he was making a lane change, but that changed when I said I had a dash cam. I was so annoyed and pissed off it wasnít even funny. Iíve been in other accidents and been calm and all ďoh it was an accidentĒ but something that blatantly stupid and completely avoidable? I couldnít hold my tongue. After we moved the cars I was still outside the car cussing and fussing and eventually my girlfriend was yelling at me to get into the car lmao

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Hey which dash can do you have and how is it mounted? I*m becoming to think it*s a requirement to have one driving around these areas present day. Thanks
    A lot of people have been asking this! It was honestly a no name $50 camera my girlfriend got off of amazon that they no longer sell. Iím buying one for my car this week, as a $50 investment has saved us from who knows how much. Iím probably going to get the first one on amazon when you search ďdash camĒ
    As for mounting, sheís not particular so itís in the middle of her windshield and she just uses one of the cig outlets in her car. But I canít stand stuff on my windshield. When I drive her car I donít notice it, but mine is gonna have to go behind the mirror and have the cable routed under and behind the dash

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast