CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: College Student First Car Build

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Damn dude, that really sucks to hear. Can't believe they did such a shitty job...
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX 4-1 Headers ■ MP3 ECU ■ VTCS-less Intake Manifold ■ Mishimoto Aluminum Racing Radiator + Fan Shroud

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    Damn dude, that really sucks to hear. Can't believe they did such a shitty job...

It sucks man. I even chose this dealership cause the one right by my house pissed me off a few months ago.
    They also pushed my car with their dirty gloves on. I spent almost half an hour on my break with degreaser and a hose washing off all the handprints. Needless to say Iím kinda annoyed considering the labor was $360 originally, then they wanted to charge me $500 when I got there.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

I didn't realize how loud the car was until I was driving in this garage. Hopefully the lip and car are done and good this week.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Well, picked up the front lip today and it looks amazing. The guy said he could respray the whole car for $1500, which I might do eventually.
    HOWEVER, now the car is spraying oil all over the underside of the hood. So back to this Mazda dealership for what is now the 3rd time this week. If it werenít for them, Iíd be messing with it myself at this point. But I paid them a few hundred dollhairs and Iím not fixing up their f ups. Hopefully they tell me itís just a valve cover gasket, which I donít mind redoing as I wanted to paint it anyway. But I really hope this is the last time I have to step foot in this dealership.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

I think the mazda is finally fixed! I drove to and from work without issue, got home and immediatly took off the front bumper to mount the front lip. LOVE the look, but the whole car needs a respray. Hopefully I can figure out the horn situation tomorrow so I can remount everything and ceramic coat the lip.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Well, it's been a long week. From my dad in the hospital, a trip up north, working, and dropping off the Mazda multiple times at the dealership. I woke up early today (rarely happens) to finish the wiring of the horns. Went late into last night (to the point I was holding a flashlight like the car wizard (Hoovies Garage reference) but I couldn't get the horns to work) figured it was the cheap Harbor Freight wiring stuff I got, so I went and got some quality stuff and 15 minutes later they are in and working! I didn't want to hack up the grill, so I ended up mounting them lower on the center support. Can't see them through the grill, but they make loud enough noises to make up for it haha. Taking a quick break and gonna finally put the bumper on and take it for a drive. Idk what's next for the Mazda, but it may be a little while so I can pay some debt down and maybe get suspension and wheels.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Lip is mounted and everything is buttoned up! The bumper is slightly misaligned cause the lip was cracked and the fix had it misaligned, but overall it looks great!

2002 Mazda Protege5

Nice man! Man that front lip is sexy...gotta get me one sometime in the future.

How are those horns? No one in my town can hear me honk, and that's a massive disadvantage given the recklessness of the townies here. Plus, my dad keeps telling me tgat I have the "faggiest horn in town" lmao

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

There's a guy selling one on facebook for $125 in better condition than the one i got! I gotta secure a set of fog deletes.

I love the horn, very loud outside the car but quiet inside. It's funny, as that's the exact reason I got these. But the regular protege have worse horns, I have a friend with one and always joke him when he honks it lmao

2002 Mazda Protege5

I saw it and want it, but my wallet's had enough for a while :^)

If my rebate for the set is accepted, then maybe, but then again that's cash I could use for school

Between a new set of wheels/tires and paying off summer semester tuition, anything won't be done until I sneak in lots of work hours
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe710 View Post
    There's a guy selling one on facebook for $125 in better condition than the one i got! I gotta secure a set of fog deletes.

I love the horn, very loud outside the car but quiet inside. It's funny, as that's the exact reason I got these. But the regular protege have worse horns, I have a friend with one and always joke him when he honks it lmao

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    I saw it and want it, but my wallet's had enough for a while :^)

If my rebate for the set is accepted, then maybe, but then again that's cash I could use for school

Between a new set of wheels/tires and paying off summer semester tuition, anything won't be done until I sneak in lots of work hours
    The Hellas are pretty cheap, I got them for $40 I want to say! I wanted to mount them higher, but they wouldn't fit and I don't like hacking stuff up, so lower they go. But I feel you, just got done with summer classes and trying to pick up every shift I can at work before I go back in August. I know financing is bad, but I use Affirm to buy stuff I need but don't necessarily want to spend the money right there. No hard credit check and easy to pay. Got the sub and some things for my motorcycle through them.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

I'm at a very huge crossroad. I want to keep modding the Mazda, but at the same time save money and start paying off my credit cards and student loans. I'm about out of ideas, as all I'd really want to do it lower it (I fell in love with air ride but there's no way I can justify spending almost $3000 on one part for a car I got for like $1700), wheels/tires, intake, 4-2-1 headers (if I can find some that aren't $500), and maybe finish with a full custom exhaust. The car has, so far, been reliable (KNOCKS ON WOOD). Not the fastest thing in the world, but does handle corners very well. Which makes me happy, the R6 keeps the speed demon in me suppressed. It's also going to need a repaint, I was using a clay bar the other day and was literally scraping paint from the car lol
    So I'm thinking, its either keep pushing the last few thousand (of $) towards this car and make it what I want, or just wait until I graduate (hopefully a little less than a year from now), get a job as an air traffic controller (VERY well paying job), buy something under 20k (leaning towards an FRS/brz) and mod it (supercharger would be first). I've been researching them all week as I fell in love with Devin Niemela's (check his youtube) build. Either way, I think I would keep the P5 cause it's so cheap and I love the little thing. But at the same time with it being a higher mileage car, I don't know how much time is left in her. I wouldn't mind trying to swap the engine, as it's just something that I've never attempted.
    I don't know. A lot to think about but who knows where I'll go

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe710 View Post
    I'm at a very huge crossroad. I want to keep modding the Mazda, but at the same time save money and start paying off my credit cards and student loans. I'm about out of ideas, as all I'd really want to do it lower it (I fell in love with air ride but there's no way I can justify spending almost $3000 on one part for a car I got for like $1700), wheels/tires, intake, 4-2-1 headers (if I can find some that aren't $500), and maybe finish with a full custom exhaust. The car has, so far, been reliable (KNOCKS ON WOOD). Not the fastest thing in the world, but does handle corners very well. Which makes me happy, the R6 keeps the speed demon in me suppressed. It's also going to need a repaint, I was using a clay bar the other day and was literally scraping paint from the car lol
    So I'm thinking, its either keep pushing the last few thousand (of $) towards this car and make it what I want, or just wait until I graduate (hopefully a little less than a year from now), get a job as an air traffic controller (VERY well paying job), buy something under 20k (leaning towards an FRS/brz) and mod it (supercharger would be first). I've been researching them all week as I fell in love with Devin Niemela's (check his youtube) build. Either way, I think I would keep the P5 cause it's so cheap and I love the little thing. But at the same time with it being a higher mileage car, I don't know how much time is left in her. I wouldn't mind trying to swap the engine, as it's just something that I've never attempted.
    I don't know. A lot to think about but who knows where I'll go
    Are you me from an alternate universe?

Just today, I had to set an ultimatum on my P5 spending, with just a few days ago, having to let go of a deal I was offered on coilovers. I made the decision to push money I had towards school instead of the car, which has been mostly reliable ( lol ) as of late.

Really, the big fun stuff will be out of my reach while I'm going to school. Once I graduate and get a job as some sort of computer engineer, a very well-paying job, I'll really start to work on this thing. But there is a similarity here--while panicking about my car's headgasket being toast, I began to research cars I might replace it with. One of which was a Toyota Celica; any generation, really. Upon hearing the news that my car was alive, I settled on maybe buying one once I'm out of college for modding.

If you ever do an engine swap, get yourself a KL-ZE (or the more common KL-DE, less fun though). That's a V6 that'll make your car absolutely scream! If my current engine conks out when I'm graduated, that's what I'll do.

Anyhow, If I was you, I would definitely put your money into school over putting it into your car. You may not get much returns aside from good feelings and personal education/experience. But with college, you'll get your returns in the form of the capability to have several project cars and the ability to economically support them.

I hate waiting for graduation/jobs, but man it'll be so worth it when I can not bat an eye at dropping serious cash for performance...
    Last edited by Riot_Polizei; 07-09-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

I love all of the celicas! I've always had a spot in my heart for the old 60s Japanese classics. There's actually a car dealership about an hour and a half from me that only sells imports. Fortunately my school is paid for, unfortunately, it's with loans, and I believe my balance is near $70k and I still have about another 15 or so for my last semesters. I could have gotten the M4 I want at this point lol

But I'd definitely leaning towards just waiting until I graduate. If not, I'll just get coilovers myself and the wheels for Christmas but at the same time it is my daily and I was running errands the other day and realized how steep entranceways are around here.

Girlfriend is on board with me getting a gt86 style car, but who knows. Time will tell.

When do you graduate?

2002 Mazda Protege5

Shit man, some days it seems like I won't graduate soon enough. Thanks to the dickheads that ran the counseling/transfer planning department at the community college I went to, I wasn't informed about how I was supposed to transfer to the 4-year institute of my choice. As a result, I'm going to have some extremely wonky semesters where filler classes might be a necessity, or when required classes are straight up unavailable. To give you an idea of this, I'm a Junior just about at 100 credits. I'll probably graduate 2019, maybe, but I do know for a fact that I'll accomplish my math minor this next semester. That minor better be worth it, because it was hard to get lol!!

I'm in the same boat as you: school's technically "paid off" with loans, but damn I'm at a fraction of debt that you're in! I work decent hours, so I kept a goal of paying off half of each semester with what I got, and paying the other half with the loan. If I play my cards right and stop burning my money on my car, I might graduate with a minimum of 12k in the hole (best case) or 22k (less-best case).

If and when I get a good dev job after I graduate, man will this car transform. I really want to pick up old junkers and teach myself some mechanic skills, so that I can build up this future classic we're running.

Good luck man, it's hard having to put aside something you're passionate about, but boy it'll be worth it.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast