VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: College Student First Car Build

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Progress has been slow as I get set back with trying to find parts i want. I fell in love with the DG Motorsports front lip and rear wing, emailed the guy and he informed me he doesn't make them anymore ): I've kinda gotten discouraged from tring to mod it as I can't find parts. I ordered weather tech window shields (again, wanted the dark tint to contrast the yellow and black parts on it but they only had light and I didn't want some cheapo stick ons). But i decided today to plasti dip the rear valence and mirrors since there's an extended weekend and I'm ahead in my classes. Might also do the batter terminals this weekend but it's supposed to storm all day Monday, so I guess we shall see where the weekend takes me. I snapped a picture before I started and will post an after!
    I also got a Mazdaspeed Licence plate frame, which I love (minus the $40 price). One day she will get a MSP engine, but for now she's gonna have to be a poser. Lol

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Nice man, you'll love the black rear valance! It really gives the car a far more aggressive look from behind.

I must say that you shouldn't get discouraged from the lack of parts, as there are always part-outs and craigslist postings out there.

I scored an MP3 IM and a set of 4 wheels for less than 200 bucks, so I've been quite lucky. Just gotta hit up craigslist and make pals!
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX 4-1 Headers ■ MP3 ECU ■ VTCS-less Intake Manifold ■ Mishimoto Aluminum Racing Radiator + Fan Shroud
    ■ AWR Trailing Arms

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    Nice man, you'll love the black rear valance! It really gives the car a far more aggressive look from behind.

I must say that you shouldn't get discouraged from the lack of parts, as there are always part-outs and craigslist postings out there.

I scored an MP3 IM and a set of 4 wheels for less than 200 bucks, so I've been quite lucky. Just gotta hit up craigslist and make pals!
    I just have to be patient and search more. It saddens me that such a nice car doesn't have support or is overlooked. I think the timeline that I have in my head is too short for the time it is going to require lol

What's an MP3 IM?

I finished the last coat of the plasti dip at around 10 PM so I cant see it, but with a flashlight I'm loving it!

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe710 View Post
    I just have to be patient and search more. It saddens me that such a nice car doesn't have support or is overlooked. I think the timeline that I have in my head is too short for the time it is going to require lol

What's an MP3 IM?

I finished the last coat of the plasti dip at around 10 PM so I cant see it, but with a flashlight I'm loving it!
    One of the more popular N/A mods to do to a P5 is to turn it into the special edition Protege MP3 from 2001; doing this requires an intake manifold without VTCS and the MP3 ECU (racingbeat catback suggested). You have two options: remove your current IM, cut out the VTCS, and fill the holes left behind with epoxy; drop in an IM from the MP3 (they came without the VTCS). You could also port and polish it for more power if desired, but I've yet to see empirical data on that bettering performance.

I should've had this done a few months back now, but Diff EQ was a demanding mistress...
    Last edited by Riot_Polizei; 05-28-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Well, today is the first day the car left me stranded. Turns out the timing belt has popped through the cover and there's a loud clunking sound when it's running. My friend, who is also a former Mazda tech, is taking a look at it when he gets a moment. Hoping it just needs a timing belt and cover and the associated parts. If not, I am highly considering swapping an MSP engine into it. (which if you have any info on that please please contact me, I have a few questions). Hopefully, this is either something not too bad or something that I can turn into something good.

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe710 View Post
    Well, today is the first day the car left me stranded. Turns out the timing belt has popped through the cover and there's a loud clunking sound when it's running. My friend, who is also a former Mazda tech, is taking a look at it when he gets a moment. Hoping it just needs a timing belt and cover and the associated parts. If not, I am highly considering swapping an MSP engine into it. (which if you have any info on that please please contact me, I have a few questions). Hopefully, this is either something not too bad or something that I can turn into something good.

Damn dude, sorry to hear it. Hell, if the timing belt needs replacing, and you'll have to dig into the engine, why not upgrade the cams (if you've the cash)? Anyhow, good luck with it! Keep er' alive!

By the way, what do you mean by "msp engine"? The FS-DE and the FS-DET are identical, with the exception of the "MSP engine" being turbo charged. Same compression, bore/stroke, valve timings, you name it.

The real biggest difference besides the presence of the turbocharger is the addition of an LSD in the transaxle and a different radiator, a SMIC, and an oil cooler. There are some other parts too, but I can't remember.

If you do decide to drop in an FS-DET assembly, I recommend reading what mazdaspd.com suggests to make it run far more reliably.

Good luck!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    Damn dude, sorry to hear it. Hell, if the timing belt needs replacing, and you'll have to dig into the engine, why not upgrade the cams (if you've the cash)? Anyhow, good luck with it! Keep er' alive!

By the way, what do you mean by "msp engine"? The FS-DE and the FS-DET are identical, with the exception of the "MSP engine" being turbo charged. Same compression, bore/stroke, valve timings, you name it.

The real biggest difference besides the presence of the turbocharger is the addition of an LSD in the transaxle and a different radiator, a SMIC, and an oil cooler. There are some other parts too, but I can't remember.

If you do decide to drop in an FS-DET assembly, I recommend reading what mazdaspd.com suggests to make it run far more reliably.

Good luck!
    My thinking is if it did do damage and it's going to cost me a more to fix it than a new (used) block, I try to get a MSP long block and hope they include the turbo, manifold, and the other associated parts. Also, I assume the MSP long block would also already have the holes drilled for the oil return and whatnot, so my thinking would be less work. I could be wrong, as my knowledge of cars isn't really too past the Youtube videos I watch. But apparently it has a non-interruption engine, so the tech thinks a new timing belt kit (water pump, belt, pulleys, and gaskets) should do the trick. I found a long block for $899+250 shipping with the transmission, so its an opiton. I think right now i just need to get it running and go from there.

Definitely keeping her though! Back to driving my 12 mpg truck for the next few weeks

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

I have no clue how but I just managed to snag a MSP front lip for my P5. I am beyond stoked! Unfortunately, the car won't be running until the week after next, cause the tech is going out of town. Gives me time to repaint and repair it. I will definetly post pics when it comes in!

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

I just made a car specific Instagram. Might make a YouTube channel in the future (as I have a gopro hero 5 sitting around collecting dust) to do car builds and motovlogs, but class takes priority.
    Give me a follow! @another_yellowp5

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Although the car is still not running, small progress can't stop. Went to my job and installed the rain guards, like the way they look. MSP lip should be here tomorrow , and I'm debating starting the fixing of that and my bumper cover ASAP or waiting until class ends so I have more time to work on it. I've been doing too much research into boosting it, the only thing that would keep me from it is I don't have/want to spend the money, but we will see!

(featuring a beautiful F80 M3)

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

MSP lip came in yesterday, and it's in way worse shape than I thought. Also got shipped deformed, but I believe a heat gun will rejuvenate it. Gonna start buying parts this check to start restoration of the lip and to fix my bumper.
    Parts for the timing belt also came in yesterday, exctied to fix that and get it back on the road. Driving my truck is no longer a joy and I miss the Protege!

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Well, progress has been slow and the car still isn't running. (kinda annoyed as driving my truck to and from school costs me about $60 a week vs the P5 $35 every other week) Hopefully, I can get it back on the road this week, although this is the last week of the semester. Still have been ordering parts though, got a set of hella horns arriving today, broke a tab on the tweeter cover (whoever thought wiring the tweeter to the mirror is annoying lol), but progress on the front lip has been very slow. I found a guy who can paint it for $100, which is fine by me as:
    A. I had to paint outside and its windy here and
    B. the supplies have cost me around $50 and paint was going to be another $100.
    Hopefully, I can repair it tonight so I can take it to him Wednesday.
    I'm also thinking about upgrading my aftermarket head unit to a double din and wiring in a reverse camera and a source to mirror my phone screen.

About 2 weeks of trying to mess with this and this is all the progress. I'm done with it

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quick update: Found a local guy who does paint work for all the car clubs and dropped the lip off yesterday and should get it back by Friday he said :o
    The car is getting towed today to another Mazda dealership for the timing belt and water pump and all associated parts. Only $360 for labor, which I feel isn't bad and one of the techs there has an MSP. Hopefully I can get it back by this weekend. Also got some hella horns I can't wait to install

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Picked up the Protege today, and had a smile on my face the whole drive back to work! I love the way the little thing drives. The service adviser told me to come back to the car show tomorrow cause there's not many P5s on the road around here and even less yellow ones. Managed to snap a pic of the protege and my old daily, my grandfather's old 02 f150. Can't wait to get back into the mods! Plasti dip mirrors, clean my sub wires up, hella horn install, quick release on bumper.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Well, that glory was short lived. Car is out of time and they left some of the valve cover bolts out. Car is going back tomorrow. This is why I hate dealerships.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast