College Student First Car Build

Damn dude, I'm excited for you! My wallet is also crying just thinking about this lol...

Since you're going turbo, do you have any plans for aftermarket boost controllers, fuel pressure reducers, or fuel cut defenders? Your car's going to become fast AF, but not before introducing some hesitation and possibly oil starvation.

After this, you absolutely gotta take out your P5 to an autocross.

Damn dude, I'm excited for you! My wallet is also crying just thinking about this lol...

Since you're going turbo, do you have any plans for aftermarket boost controllers, fuel pressure reducers, or fuel cut defenders? Your car's going to become fast AF, but not before introducing some hesitation and possibly oil starvation.

After this, you absolutely gotta take out your P5 to an autocross.

Im not even thinking about it lol got a killer deal on a turbo, ECU, and the feed/return lines. Then went to mishimoto and grabbed a FMIC and the oil bits and they offer financing lol so its like $20 a month for 2 years. But of course, I plan on paying that off very early cause hours at work just increased cause we had someone quit.
For right now the plan is stock turbo setup cause the FS-DE doesnt seem to like too much boost over stock. Maybe one day Ill go forged or something. Ive also been told by 323 that the clutch in there isnt going to like the boost so Im going to have to save up for a new clutch and install. Ill have to look for some autocross events nearby! I want to go to Virginia International Raceway one day, and might try to find an open track day or something cause Im sure its only 2 hours from here

NCCAR has open track events in the spring and fall. Missed it this year because everyone had things come up lol

Well, after much anticipation, I picked up the turbo and springs today! Have so much stuff on order, and a lot more stuff to order but trying to keep up with everything is overwhelming. Cannot wait to get this car boosted, lowered, and on some new shoes. Serious shoutout to 323 and dpwhitehead for everything so far. More to come soon!
hIZAtZo.jpg

yhsi8tl.jpg

i don't know how soon he's doing it but if it's after he moves back to northern va, you'll def be closer

More turbo bits have arrived. Got the gauge pods in today. Kinda annoyed that they're black and the pillars are white but I'll paint or hydro dip it eventually. Also, annoyed that it is not a replacement, but a cover. So another pick n pull run is in the works! Costs are adding up, but too deep to stop now lol
6gHj6e9.jpg

More turbo bits have arrived. Got the gauge pods in today. Kinda annoyed that they're black and the pillars are white but I'll paint or hydro dip it eventually. Also, annoyed that it is not a replacement, but a cover. So another pick n pull run is in the works! Costs are adding up, but too deep to stop now lol
6gHj6e9.jpg
Hey fyi, let me know how installing the oil pressure gauge goes. For a while, I thought about installing both an oil pressure/oil temp gauge to keep an eye on my car's health while racing. Corksport offers a nice system, but I've heard that the supplied wires are kind of short.

Are you going to use an oil filter sandwich plate, or are you going to tap threads?

Hey fyi, let me know how installing the oil pressure gauge goes. For a while, I thought about installing both an oil pressure/oil temp gauge to keep an eye on my car's health while racing. Corksport offers a nice system, but I've heard that the supplied wires are kind of short.

Are you going to use an oil filter sandwich plate, or are you going to tap threads?

Splice the wires longer! I've used Pepboys automotive wiring for the hella horns and haven't had any issues. Make sure to buy quality connectors though. Tried harbor freight and they never worked. Had to go to Home Depot and pay more but worked the first try. Also, look into add-a-fuses, seem to be the easiest for everything.
I'm running a sandwich plate though, I'm adding a thermostatic oil cooler (MSP came with it so I figured why not). Getting to the stock pressure sending unit is a b****. I was looking under a car at pick n pull and it looks impossible to reach without removing the intake manifold.

Finally ordering the last bits for the turbo swap today/tonight!
Decided to skip the oil cooler for now, but I'm gonna run an oil temp gauge and if I see them creep over 200 I'll order the lines, cause I have the cooler on the way already. Will update soon!

Well, somewhat of an update:
I went to cars and coffee this morning with my coworker (who has the SS) and spotted the local Mazdaspeed 3 club. Thought I'd be slick and park next to them and they actually came up to me and talked to me for a while. Some even saying they miss their P5s lol got an invite to the local MS fb group and all.
The car is starting to make a few concerning sounds. Mainly a metallic clunk after I start the car after the starter disengauges and when I let off the brakes abruptly. I ran over something at about 75 on the way home from class a few weeks ago that sounded horrible, so I'll have to get under the car and check everything out soon.
Lastly, doing a final check to make sure I have everything I need to turbo the car! Should be boosted the weekend of the 17th, and thankfully 323 is letting me borrow his garage for this. So hopefully I can have it done in a day.
dMAD60k.jpg

Oh my ooh my, I'm gonna be watching your build thread now for ideas >:).
Nice photo too man, I've been thinking someday about sneaking my car into the miata meetup they hold once a month in the parking structure near my work lol.
Are you in the Mazda Protege5 group on facebook? I saw a pair of fog light delete covers going for $30 in the group this past week.

Oh my ooh my, I'm gonna be watching your build thread now for ideas >:).
Nice photo too man, I've been thinking someday about sneaking my car into the miata meetup they hold once a month in the parking structure near my work lol.
Are you in the Mazda Protege5 group on facebook? I saw a pair of fog light delete covers going for $30 in the group this past week.

Do it haha theyll either get really mad or invite you. I once cut off a MINI convoy (hogging the left lane riding next to the slowest car) with a sonata so I could get around to the front and PISSED them off lol
Which group though? Im in a few. Ive been looking for those fog covers for a minute now

Do it haha they*ll either get really mad or invite you. I once cut off a MINI convoy (hogging the left lane riding next to the slowest car) with a sonata so I could get around to the front and PISSED them off lol
Which group though? I*m in a few. I*ve been looking for those fog covers for a minute now

Haha I have a few friends in the club and used to be in it back when I had my miata but that was a couple years or so ago.
I like to do that to the Honda convoys here b/c they drive like idiots buaha.

Here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1501699863397732/

Well, minus the gauge pod I have and a few misc items, I believe I have all of the parts to turbo the car! I'll have to tally the total, but I believe I'm only $1500 into it thus far.
81NcRig.jpg

Things are getting exciting! You're lucky you got a fellow forum goer to help out and provide a space--I'm all by myself for everything I do. Best wishes on turbocharging your car!

There was one guy on here who was in the same city as me, but he never responded to my PM. Oh well.

Back