College Student First Car Build

I'm definitely no professional with a camera by any means but quick flick of the oil pressure gauge wired up. I want to have them in soon. Finishing up a few exams and graduation in a little over a week, then it*s back to finishing up the car! I had a list of car tings to do yesterday, but the Mrs. had other ideas lol. I did get my boost leak fixed (coupler coming off the turbo popped off) and finally aligned my shift knob in the correct orientation! I'll have to get a picture soon. Hopefully I can knock some more gauges out soon. Kinda pissed cause the HF helping hands I got chew through the wires, hence the random electrical tape, and I just want double insurance on the connections since its going from like a 26ga wire to 18. I don*t know why they made them so small but whatever. I also just realized there's cat hair all over my tape (-: she practivally lives on my desk and chair
JwRpzlQ.jpg

iJjZCiE.jpg

Also just placed an order for all new led bulbs on basically every exterior light on the car. Im gonna tint some tail lights to see if I like the look. The whole reason I got another set at PNP

Small update, my rear wiper blade fell off today. I noticed the rubber part hanging off, so I pulled up on the arm and the whole rubber piece that contacts the window fell off. I have a small trip to take tomorrow and with the rain I don't think I'm going to have time to install the new one... So, I have to go to an auto parts store and waste money on essentially a temporary rear wiper. Also got the LEDs in today, I'm going to give my headlights to my friend's friend to restore because I don't feel like it and he does it for a living cheaply. All of the gauges wiring harnesses have been completed, I was excited to work on them next weekend and go to cars and coffee, but I was swiftly reminded of graduation (I'd much rather do car tings lol)
Lastly, when I was at PNP 323 told me to grab the roof rack stuff and I didn't due to stuff breaking and ready to go. I've seen 2 people looking for the cross bars and then when I was talking to my coworker after work, I noticed this nice crack in one of my plastic pieces. So now it is time to figure out how to get everything off and then keep an eye out at local junkyards for a full setup.
kLhK3GK.jpg

What LEDs did you end up getting? Are they much brighter than factory? Looking to do mine at some point too

Shame about the infill strip, are they a hard plastic or a rubber? I wonder if it's possible to glue, fill and paint them to look OEM again.

Instead of graduation, a few class mates and I took a trip to a military/tank museum lol, our tutor was not very impressed

I hate how delicate the roof rails are... Mine cracked in three different places until I finally took them off.
And when I took them off, they literally all broke apart (notcool)

RIP rear wiper.. short lived :(

That sucks! With how crappy the roof rack plastic is, might as well find some rack deletes. So damn brittle after all these years.

I know my rails are full of dirt but I really like the way the stock rack looks and havnt cleaned it for this reason [emoji23]

What LEDs did you end up getting? Are they much brighter than factory? Looking to do mine at some point too

Shame about the infill strip, are they a hard plastic or a rubber? I wonder if it's possible to glue, fill and paint them to look OEM again.

Instead of graduation, a few class mates and I took a trip to a military/tank museum lol, our tutor was not very impressed

I ordered them off superbrightLEDs.com, I got them to replace every light on the exterior except the high beam. I will update the thread once I get them all in.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for a set at a junkyard, if anything I'll see if I know anyone who plastic welds and then do that. As for graduation, I feel I should go as I did pay a lot for this lmao Military museum does sound cool though! I would rather but I may not live to see another day due to my mom lol

I hate how delicate the roof rails are... Mine cracked in three different places until I finally took them off.
And when I took them off, they literally all broke apart (notcool)

RIP rear wiper.. short lived :(
It was the OEM wiper! I was holding out as long as I could because I can't find my HF Dremel, I'll probably tear apart my place tonight trying to find it so I can just upgrade.

That sucks! With how crappy the roof rack plastic is, might as well find some rack deletes. So damn brittle after all these years.

I'm usually not a fan of roof racks being unused, but for some reason I prefer the P5s with them, although I will more than likely never use them

I know my rails are full of dirt but I really like the way the stock rack looks and havnt cleaned it for this reason [emoji23]

they're a pain to remove i assume?

Welp, that was short lived, we ended up not taking the P5 on about a 140 mile round trip drive. I drove it the maybe 10 miles this morning and then got to work. I checked in a few cars and noticed a water spot forming under the car, I assumed it was condensation from the AC but I looked again maybe 2 minutes later and the spot is too big to be that and is green. The wagon decided it no longer needed coolant, so back to twentys it goes.

I was going to try to score a pair of the AWR trailing arms, but it seems my radiator is busted. I got it on a lift at work yesterday and can see the coolant is coming from a very high place, however the turbo and everything only had coolant on it from being blown. I started to pour water in the radiator and created a waterfall. So, I'm positive it is coming from the radiator itself. I'm trying to find UV dye so I can confirm it before I spend the money on a rad and not need it. Turns out NO ONE carries it in store.

You said you wanted cooler engine temps, I believe if you run external radiator with a gigantic box fan you should see an improvements

Few small updates. Finally graduated, so more time to do car tings (when the car runs more than a week). But I met DP this weekend finally and managed to get a pretty complete long block out of the process! If you need anything hit him up, he has about 5 proteges worth of parts sitting around he's looking to get rid of. Came home today to the mishimoto rad and fan shroud sitting on the front porch, so I had to pull that out to play with it. Going to PNP today to grab some more rad fan connectors. Also trying to find which thermostat gasket is the correct one is annoying me but oh well. There seems to be 2 options. Also ordered a water temp sensor since "it has to come apart again". Was talking to 323 earlier, this is the 4th time the coolant has been changed in the car in the last year s*** adds up. Lastly, I found out they opened up a Copart where I'm moving back to right down the street from my parents* house! So, I might try to save up and get another car, who knows.
Like Christmas morning all over again
sadSmCk.jpg

oPM9vH3.jpg

Congrats on graduating! And some nice shiny new parts!

Those mishimoto radiators look great, is it any lighter than the stock one?

Congrats on graduating! And some nice shiny new parts!

Those mishimoto radiators look great, is it any lighter than the stock one?

Thanks! It feels heavier but probably due to all aluminum and no plastic. I'll try to weigh it before I install it

No major updates. Just waiting on the last connector to come in and then it's time to drop everything in hopefully Saturday.
Funny story though, I never got the JIS screwdrivers that pcb stands behind thinking "Oh I will just be careful". So this weekend I finally decided to change the coils on the R6. (First time I have ever taken the bike apart) I get the fuel tank off, no problem. I go to remove the air box cover/injectors and notice every screw head is kinda stripped. "Ok whatever. Power tools were probably used". Get them out carefully. Take that off and flip it back. Go to remove the filter so I could check the condition and take off the air ducts. every last screw is stripped beyond belief. Used a bigger Phillips head and nothing worked. So I cover up the ducts and grab the stripped screw remover I had. One was so bad I had to go grab the bigger screw remover bit. So I get on the computer and order a $70KN filter cause they are some special screw/washer combo thing that has little shims to keep the screws from getting sucked into the engine if they back out. I had no plans on buying another filter at the moment but I had no choice. Also had to order another $18 worth of screws due to the air box ones getting bad. Got the JIS screwdrivers in yesterday and looked on one of the not too bad screws and behold, they have a dot on the screw head and the JIS screwdrivers feel so much better in them. Long story short. Use the right tools. I can provide pics of the stuff cause I know motorcycle jargon is different than the usual car talk we all know here. Just waiting on my "ships in 1 to 2 business days" order to maybe ship out on the now 4th business day.

Back