College Student First Car Build

Great !! Thanks !!

I just ordered this one. I entered Mazda 6 instead and got the same blade.

I guess they're all the same.

I ordered the one from the US because I should have it in less than two weeks.
It was $5 more.
The ones from China take about 7 1/2 years to get here. lol

Then I found out the it ships from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong but it's expedited.

I like this quote from the first thread.

"Notice that the Mazda6 blade is actually SMALLER than the Protege5's. You don't really notice the smaller coverage area at the bottom when the wiper makes it's sweep, but the Mazda6 rear-wiper assembly seems to do a much better job of dispersing of the water. "

I've never had an issue with mine wiping. If you want the bigger wiping area I'd definitely leave the P5 one on and see if you can get a stronger spring or cut a few off or something.

I've never had an issue with mine wiping. If you want the bigger wiping area I'd definitely leave the P5 one on and see if you can get a stronger spring or cut a few off or something.

My wiper doesn't push hard enough at the top and doesn't hug the glass on the top of the sweep.

If you compare the two wiper designs our wiper arm pushes in the middle of the blade going to two evenly spaced "triangles".
The Mazda 5 arm pushes in the middle then spreads the pressure more to the top.

That's what my conjecture is anyway.

Either way it's only a few bucks more than a new regular blade.

The Mazda 5 blade has more "reach" too.

Finally good news (not for my wallet though), but 323's friend got the car running! Turns out the EGR came off and was being held on with one bolt, wonder how that happened lol. I had to use a bolt extractor to get them out the first time and ended up throwing them in cause I had to go. I guess it backed out and came off. But he also mentioned how bad the oil return line was kinked, so I told him to go ahead and fix it. Also mentioned the sandwich plate was leaking bad. He's fixing that, I'm not ever attempting to reach up there again lol. Spent way more money than I wanted to, but stuff that needs to be done. Hopefully no more surprised for a while. Started the car myself and she sounds great.

Finally good news (not for my wallet though), but 323's friend got the car running! Turns out the EGR came off and was being held on with one bolt, wonder how that happened lol. I had to use a bolt extractor to get them out the first time and ended up throwing them in cause I had to go. I guess it backed out and came off. But he also mentioned how bad the oil return line was kinked, so I told him to go ahead and fix it. Also mentioned the sandwich plate was leaking bad. He's fixing that, I'm not ever attempting to reach up there again lol. Spent way more money than I wanted to, but stuff that needs to be done. Hopefully no more surprised for a while. Started the car myself and she sounds great.

while dumb, egr not being secured is better than anything else we imagined it would be lol. should be boosting again in no time.

Hey man,
Looks like a clean car you got, I'm in the middle of rebuilding a MSP engine to put in my p5. If you ever end up swapping in an FS-DET let me know if you have any questions. It's going very smoothely and I'd be happy to help with anything I have tons of pics and info on the whole process.
-John

Hey man,
Looks like a clean car you got, I'm in the middle of rebuilding a MSP engine to put in my p5. If you ever end up swapping in an FS-DET let me know if you have any questions. It's going very smoothely and I'd be happy to help with anything I have tons of pics and info on the whole process.
-John

Appreciate it man! I've never built an engine, but looking into it, I might buy a built short block from signature like 323. I want to mess with it, but don't want to invest the time and money to boom an engine on first start up. Do you have a build thread?

Basically I boosted a 240k mile P5. So its not a question if I swap, its a question of when lol

Well, pcb posted about hatchkitten's thread, which I just spent the last 45 minutes thumbing through. I NEED that iSport Carbon Fiber Spoiler Lip

I'll try and post a build thread, I think that would help me organize my process and help others with questions. I'll let you know if I do for sure.

More parts arriving, I got a Mishimoto catch can (had to for clout when I pull up to the meets), a new front strut bar (to powder coat and put the P5 one on the sedan) and a new exhaust manifold, however I think I want to save up and get a pope one to avoid cracking all together. Just waiting on the call from the shop to go pick her up!
Also, the weather here is supposed to be nice tomorrow and I'm off. Time to go pick up a head to use as a core from Pick n Pull. I'm praying I can get it out in a few hours, but we will see!

... Time to go pick up a head to use as a core from Pick n Pull. I'm praying I can get it out in a few hours, but we will see!

One thing I noticed about removing my head is that the instructions say to "remove the timing belt".
You don't have to do that.
Just remove the upper timing belt cover and/or break it off, and just cut the timing belt.

The only time I had to go under the car was to unbolt the intake manifold bracket.

You might be able to remove/unbolt the intake from the head and just leave it there.

The instructions had me pull out the head with the intake attached.

Bring a breaker bar or cheater handle for your socket wrench. The head bolts are really torqued on there.
Bring a good cutter like even garden pruners and just cut all the hoses, wires and connectors off.

Back