VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: College Student First Car Build

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Swapped MAFs and have the weirdest situation. MAF from sedan works in wagon and MAF from wagon works in sedan no issues. I ended up starting the car with the MAF and piping not connected and got a 2500-3000 idle and a lot of coolant smoke from the tailpipe. It eventually lowered itself to about 2000-2500. So I tried to hook up the MAF connector and the car immediately died. Checked for vacuum leaks and saw nothing, but I'm gonna check again before I get 323's friend to come to see if he can figure it out. I'll upload the videos in the next post. I just wanna boost around town again :/
    2003 Sunburst Yellow Mazda Protege5
    Follow my instagram @another_yellowp5

Mods List
    Interior
    - JVC head unit
    -Sound Ordinance Sub woofer
    Exterior
    -WeatherTech Rain Guards
    Performance
    -HKS axle back
    -MP3 Flashed ECU (removed)
    -MazdaSpeed Protege Turbo kit
    -Tein S tech springs
    -KYB Struts
    -MSP Rear Sway Bar
    -CR3 Relocation Brackets
    -FMIC kit

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3SSdb7Lyf8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dukuH2PFax4

Idle without any gas input. Maybe one day I'll have a positive for this thread
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

Huh that is indeed a funky idle

'02 P5

Replace the PCV valve for $2 so you can write that off as maintenance and attempt to fix the idle issue.
    You've already went through spark plugs.. ignition coils? Idle Air Control Valve? EGR Valve?

Hmm.. if you did any big mods like intake etc maybe something small like relearning the ECU via the battery disconnect/reconnect thing.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by STudMUffin1177 View Post
    Huh that is indeed a funky idle
    Just a little lol have someone coming out this week to check it out and hopefully fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by grffn View Post
    Replace the PCV valve for $2 so you can write that off as maintenance and attempt to fix the idle issue.
    You've already went through spark plugs.. ignition coils? Idle Air Control Valve? EGR Valve?

Hmm.. if you did any big mods like intake etc maybe something small like relearning the ECU via the battery disconnect/reconnect thing.
    I believe I replaced the PCV before, I can't remember tho. Changed spark plugs, wires, and coils are brand new, IAC I haven't messed with and the EGR was just cleaned. No clue man, everything seems to be looked at. So hopefully 323's friend can figure it out.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Stolen from grffn, but I wanted to make a list of all stuff I had upcoming and plans for the vehicle soon.

I have ordered and awaiting:
    Corksport bushings (with 3rd link)
    New front headlights (will polish and 3M clear fil protect them)
    WC Lathe Werks weighted titanium shift knob

Have and waiting to install:
    Carbon fiber wrapped wing
    Mazda 6 front brakes (ordering new ones to powder coat, using these as cores)
    Mazdaspeed Protege rear brakes (ordering new ones to powder coat, using these as cores)
    Mishimoto slim fan
    Boost, oil pressure, oil temp, and AEM wideband gauges
    Intake manifold that will have the VTCS deleted
    Headunit surround (mine is broken)
    MSP short throw shifter
    Drain for the turbo to fix kink issue

Stuff I want/will order soon:
    BC racing coilovers
    Wheels (still between like 15. I have no clue what I want)
    HKS BOV
    LED reverse, side marker, and turn signal lights
    Stainless steel brake lines

I believe that is it. Daylight savings just changed so I can have some time after work in order to do some small things after work before the sun goes down.

'02 P5

superbrightleds.com
    where i've been going for all my LED's the past few years b/c I got sick of cheap ebay LED's going out.
    very quick shipping and easy to roam through they also have switchback LED's for turn signals.

also, have you heard of croooober?

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by grffn View Post
    superbrightleds.com
    where i've been going for all my LED's the past few years b/c I got sick of cheap ebay LED's going out.
    very quick shipping and easy to roam through they also have switchback LED's for turn signals.

also, have you heard of croooober?
    Already have a shopping cart full of every light I need and resistors. Just havenít pulled the plug yet.

But no, whatíre they??

Donated: $25

LX, MSP 1145

If you plug the Maf in and it dies- maf is bad.
    Be happy!

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Dpwhitehead1 View Post
    If you plug the Maf in and it dies- maf is bad.
    I tried 2 different ones tho and they both work on the other car. I had a guy come out and find a massive leak on the intake. I have to smoke test it one day

Donated: $25

LX, MSP 1145

Weird, but a massive leak will cause weird idles too.

Also 626 mani here if you are gonna be taking one off lol.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe710 View Post
    ... I have to smoke test it one day
    I have a couple of friends that could come by and help you smoke test your car...

Lol...
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    I have a couple of friends that could come by and help you smoke test your car...

Lol...
    HAHAHAHA I a lot of smoking would happen...idk about how much looking for leaks will though

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Car parts are arriving again! I ordered a set of corksport bushings with the 3rd link along with another set of headlights. I'm currently looking into the best way to restore the lights as I want them to last. But that will be in the future. Also got engaged to my girlfriend of 6 years this past week in Atlanta, and apparently she actually wants to get married in the next year or 2 so that throws a wrench in car building plans lol While down on one knee I told her I was putting the coilovers on hold to finance this ring and I got an eye roll and a little laugh. It's nice having someone that (although she completely doesn't understand. She just likes when I save her a lot of money on labor) somewhat understands my obsession with the car and lets me do what I want without too much lip. Lastly, talking to 323 about rebuilding/forging an engine has me excited to get one in the future (hopefully within the next year to year and a half) to start building and have ready to drop in the P5.

I love beautiful packaging and Corksport has killed it with these metal cases

Last edited by Gabe710; 03-19-2019 at 01:39 AM.

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Congrats on the engagement! Glad you have someone that'll let you blow cash on an otherwise expensive hobby.
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX Short Shifter ■ OBX 4-1 Headers

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast