Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: College Student First Car Build

2002 mazda protege 5

Just thinkin, it sounds like your car's out of commission till you get your gasket so you could remove your valve cover now and take a look.

You can put a socket on your crank pulley bolt and rotate the engine clockwise to rotate the belt and cam gears to inspect..
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

The car is definitely out of commission for now lol I took the solenoids to fix the sedan off the wagon for now. Can I leave the valve cover off for a few weeks without messing anything up? I was just gonna wait for payday
    2003 Sunburst Yellow Mazda Protege5
    Follow my instagram @another_yellowp5

Mods List
    Interior
    - JVC head unit
    -Sound Ordinance Sub woofer
    Exterior
    -WeatherTech Rain Guards
    Performance
    -HKS axle back

2002 mazda protege 5

You should be fine,.. You could just set the cover back on to keep crap from getting in.

The biggest problem is forgetting where all the parts go or losing them.

But,.. It might give you time to check everything and get part of the job done. Plus you can take pictures of any oil on the belt or other issues to show the dealership and get that done before your gasket arrives.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

ah new car parts are like Christmas morning lol
    Rear brakes for the silver Protege (first time ever attempting brakes, and of course I choose drum brakes) and finally the valve cover gasket for the P5. I've been missing driving it and can't wait to get it back on the road. Ordering a MP3 ECU as soon as I get my refund for the smoother power band. From my research, I hope it is worth it.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

After my chiropractor appointment this morning, Iím going to tackle the valve cover gasket before school. It seems it should only take an hour or so and Iím missing the car. Will update later this evening!

msp

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe710 View Post
    After my chiropractor appointment this morning, I*m going to tackle the valve cover gasket before school. It seems it should only take an hour or so and I*m missing the car. Will update later this evening!
    let me know if you need help or get stuck for some reason.
    03 MSP, 03 P5

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe710 View Post
    ...It seems it should only take an hour or so and Iím missing the car...
    A good rule of thumb is to estimate how long a job will take, then double that time and add a bit more and that's how long it usually takes...

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    let me know if you need help or get stuck for some reason.
    Thank you. Im hoping this is "doable by myself and wont take 4 hours"

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    A good rule of thumb is to estimate how long a job will take, then double that time and add a bit more and that's how long it usually takes...
    So far so good. but I probably just put my foot in my mouth saying that

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Well, I got the Valve cover off and everuthing looks good. No contact on the cams, so I think the scuffs on the last camshaft position sensor was from the timing belt. In the 2nd picture you can see all the debris left over that Cavalier Mazda failed to remove. There was also barely any rtv on the corners, and half of the bolts felt finger tight. So in a way this is a blessing. Hopefully I can drive the car tonight, cause if this doesnt work i dont know where else to go except do a compression check and hope the motor is good. I'm hoping it is as the car runs good for a few miles before it is undrivable.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011