Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: College Student First Car Build

Donated: $25

LX, MSP 1145

You arenít running coolant to the turbo? These turbos require coolant
    Be happy!

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Man, what a nailbiter...of all the times I've been blueballed on completing an upgrade on my car, nothing compares to that.

Best of luck with the new turbo!
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX Short Shifter ■ OBX 4-1 Headers

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Dpwhitehead1 View Post
    You aren*t running coolant to the turbo? These turbos require coolant
    Someone said it'd be fine (no names lol) the banjo bolt started spilling coolant out as soon as I started filling it with coolant. Skipping it for now until I can figure out how to reroute the lines from the throttle body
    2003 Sunburst Yellow Mazda Protege5
    Follow my instagram @another_yellowp5

Mods List
    Interior
    - JVC head unit
    -Sound Ordinance Sub woofer
    Exterior
    -WeatherTech Rain Guards
    Performance
    -HKS axle back
    -MP3 Flashed ECU (removed)
    -MazdaSpeed Protege Turbo kit
    -Tein S tech springs
    -KYB Struts
    -MSP Rear Sway Bar
    -CR3 Relocation Brackets
    -FMIC kit

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Well, 323 sent me this beautiful picture of the schlbs sitting in his yard looking sad. That bumper misalignment is bothering the hell out of me lol but the wagon is sitting low. I like the ride height and how it feels (based on the 2.5 miles I drove it Wednesday). But he messaged me some more suggestions, but I will go mess with it and pick it up this weekend. Missing this thing. The sedan doesn't have the same factor of driving lol
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

msp

let there be boooooooooooost!
    03 MSP, 03 P5

Registered Member

P5

looking like a treat
    maybe this might help that bumper sag haha
    http://hydramotorsports.com/wp/shop/...umper-sap-kit/

Donated: $25

LX, MSP 1145

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe710 View Post
    Someone said it'd be fine (no names lol) the banjo bolt started spilling coolant out as soon as I started filling it with coolant. Skipping it for now until I can figure out how to reroute the lines from the throttle body
    The job itself isnít hard, the bolt is pretty tired and rusty. Itís probably leaking because you need new copper washers on either side of the bolt I think?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by grffn View Post
    looking like a treat
    maybe this might help that bumper sag haha
    http://hydramotorsports.com/wp/shop/...umper-sap-kit/
    I think its the accident I got into that has everything misaligned lol and the bumper is still cracked from that and the lip I got was cracked and fixed with it being off the bumper, also the FMIC is a little big but oh well. I believe there are a few other things contributing to that gap (and I threw the bumper on trying to get to my parent's house on Thanksgiving morning lol)

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Well, very good news! Got to 323's house Saturday and within an hour there was boost :o turns out the "Turbo high flow air filter" I bought was causing such a restriction the car would barely drive. Just a few more things I want to button up and I think the car will be done. I'm looking at getting a set of Enkei M52s (Don't know if I want the 16x7 or 17x7.5), I need to exhaust wrap the J pipe and get some DEI gold reflective tape so I don't burn my oil return line, get coolant to the turbo, get another BOV (Again, don't buy cheap shit), and lastly get the gauges in the car. Loving the car, as it is definitely awake now! Just having a huge issue with the dreaded fuel cut, so that will be looked into later. Unfortunately this was a snapchat video I saved, so ignore the portrait mode lol and driving manual with one hand is not recommended. But, my friends are coming up from Georgia and I will borrow their car mount to get some GoPro footage!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNzYT322Gk
    ah the joys of my youtube channel from high school lol
    Last edited by Gabe710; 12-03-2018 at 02:17 AM.

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Congrats! I'm really stoked for you! Hope you can get around the fuel cut--supposedly, there are quite a few ways around fixing this, but getting a boost gauge would be instrumental to see where your boost is sitting at. A vacuum gauge would also be nice, as it can tell you when you have a leak (less than 20 mm/inHg) or if your system is plugged.

Do you plan on going with a ECU piggyback, or perhaps finding an old used fuel cut defenser? Supposedly, Greddy made one, and some guy known as "JoeP" made some too. JoeP also made a fuel pressure reducer that eliminated the hesitation.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    Congrats! I'm really stoked for you! Hope you can get around the fuel cut--supposedly, there are quite a few ways around fixing this, but getting a boost gauge would be instrumental to see where your boost is sitting at. A vacuum gauge would also be nice, as it can tell you when you have a leak (less than 20 mm/inHg) or if your system is plugged.

Do you plan on going with a ECU piggyback, or perhaps finding an old used fuel cut defenser? Supposedly, Greddy made one, and some guy known as "JoeP" made some too. JoeP also made a fuel pressure reducer that eliminated the hesitation.
    Thanks man! my wallet isn't excited and it seems I'm still not done lol but,I haven't made a solid decision yet! Gotta do more research, but I'm looking at wither piggy back or Fuel cut defender. Seems the defender is a little cheaper, as the turbosmart one is $78 shipped and I'm not a fan of splicing into my wiring harness and 323 told me about his nightmare of trying to tune his car.

msp

i don't think you listened closely enough. don't get bigger injectors and try to tune for your stockish boost then you won't have a nightmare. there's already a map made for stockish boost levels.
    Last edited by 323; 12-03-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Well, not a post I expected to make, but I managed to wreck the car again lol There seems to be a trend in me working on cars for a few hours and then getting in an accident. Had a lady come across all lanes of traffic and slow down in front of me to get to the turn lane. The tire marks show how hard I was standing on the brakes. She was shaken and upset and apologetic about it and whatnot. Luckily I was going about the same speed as her when we hit and I wrecked the car before, I'm sure the bumper gave a lot of and did its job.

msp

all the sad.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    all the sad.
    Leaving this area ASAP and never returning

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast