Thread: Engine revving

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 Sport

Engine revving

Hey guys,
    I have a 2016.5 cx-5 the other day I started the car, while in park I pressed the brake and the engine temporally revved up then settled down. If I waited a moment or two I was able to replicate the issue. Is this something I need to be concerned about and look into,has anyone else had this happen ? I have seen reports of cx-5's suddenly accelerating and I'm hoping this is not a prelude to that happening.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

I haven't heard or read anything about CX5 revving under the conditions you state. Give us the reference to the report of sudden acceleration. ed

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

If you repeatedly press the brake while a gasoline engine is idling on any car you effect the inlet manifold pressure and the revs will go up. There is no fault. I think the runaway revs problem was with Toyota a few years ago and how a driver can let it do that without knocking it into neutral is beyond me.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

snip...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    If you repeatedly press the brake while a gasoline engine is idling on any car you effect the inlet manifold pressure and the revs will go up. There is no fault.
    I'm not saying that you're incorrect but I've been driving for over 45 years and I don't recall ever seeing an increase of engine speed caused just by stepping on the brake peddle.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Dealer issue, get it in there and get it checked out.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    I haven't heard or read anything about CX5 revving under the conditions you state. Give us the reference to the report of sudden acceleration. ed
    Here is one example.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/...leration.shtml

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    snip...

I'm not saying that you're incorrect but I've been driving for over 45 years and I don't recall ever seeing an increase of engine speed caused just by stepping on the brake peddle.
    Try it. Get it warmed up and then at idle sit and pump the brake pedal.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    snip...

The IAC should compensate for this.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Try it. Get it warmed up and then at idle sit and pump the brake pedal.
    I'll give this a try today when I'm out and about, if I can remember that is.

From the OP's statement, it doesn't sound as if his car was warmed up yet. I'll try it both ways.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD, Liquid Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Skyactive View Post
    Wife got hit from behind stopped at a light 6 weeks ago to the tune of $8000.00 in damage. She had her foot on the brake and once hit the car suddenly accelerated and she had to ram the e brake and could not shut the car off to stop it. Still don’t have the car back yet or an official diagnosis.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 Sport

So since I last posted I have driven the car a couple of days without a problem then yesterday at an ATM with the car in drive and my foot on the brake I was getting a withdrawal when the engine started to race. I put it in park took my foot off the brake and finished the transaction. Then when I put it in drive to leave, the car lurched forward and I heard a loud BANG, really loud like someone hit an empty oil drum with a sledge hammer. I dove it home and it seemed fine,like nothing had happened. I called the dealer and was kind of taken back when he said it would be a week before he could give me an appointment. I know Mazda is not one of the big volume car companies but good grief.
    Last edited by Skyactive; 04-25-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD, Liquid Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Skyactive View Post
    So since I last posted I have driven the car a couple of days without a problem then yesterday at an ATM with the car in drive and my foot on the brake I was getting a withdrawal when the engine started to race. I put it in park took my foot off the brake and finished the transaction. Then when I put it in drive to leave, the car lurched forward and I heard a loud BANG, really loud like someone hit an empty oil drum with a sledge hammer. I dove it home and it seemed fine,like nothing had happened. I called the dealer and was kind of taken back when he said it would be a week before he could give me an appointment. I know Mazda is not one of the big volume car companies but good grief.
    Took me 3 weeks to get an appointment from my dealer. I ended up getting new front struts, vacuum pump, and rear brakes and rotors from my local Indy. Since I get free oil changes I will let Mazda do that. Dealer said they were inundated with recalls and service requests.