2018 Sport Mode Not Holding High RPM's

Adguy21

:
2019 CX-5 GT Reserve Soul Red
My 2018 GT is not holding the RPM's as high as it should be in sport mode. Also, it is not downshifting when coming to a fast stop. The reason I know is I just traded a 2017 Touring and it really held the RPM's much higher and the car was overall more responsive in sport mode. Has anyone else had this issue?

Last edited:
My 2018 GT is not holding the RPM's as high as it should be in sport mode. Also, it is not downshifting when coming to a fast stop. The reason I know is I just traded a 2017 Touring and it really held the RPM's much higher and the car was overall more responsive in sport mode. Has anyone else had this issue?

What revs is it sitting at when your doing say 45-60mph (uhm)

What revs is it sitting at when your doing say 45-60mph (uhm)

Around 3000 RPM. It's not keeping a low gear so when I need to "get up and go" it downshifts instead of being in the proper gear (0-45mph). Also, when going 15mph it is 3rd gear not 2nd. Lastly when driving around town (stop and go) it won''t hold 1st gear long enough. My 17 had much more punch and held gears much higher.

Last edited:
Around 3000 RPM. It's not keeping a low gear so when I need to "get up and go" it downshifts instead of being in the proper gear (0-45mph). Also, when going 15mph it is 3rd gear not 2nd. Lastly when driving around town (stop and go) it won''t hold 1st gear long enough. My 17 had much more punch and held gears much higher.
Give it a few hard presses of the gas pedal. Sounds like you need to get the computer to relearn

Give it a few hard presses of the gas pedal. Sounds like you need to get the computer to relearn

Would disconnecting the battery and resetting the ECU help? Wouldn't that take ALL my settings back to factory? I'm at a loss and I hate that it was fine in my 17 touring and then I upgrade to a GT and it doesn't work.

Would disconnecting the battery and resetting the ECU help? Wouldn't that take ALL my settings back to factory? I'm at a loss and I hate that it was fine in my 17 touring and then I upgrade to a GT and it doesn't work.

Possibly and yes it would reset everything back to factory settings.

That is why if you change your driving style, the computer will learn the new patterns and perform accordingly

If it’s very low mileage, you may have to wait until it’s covered a few more. I think they might have predetermined settings to protect themselves until run in.

Yes, something like that.

Thank you all. I'll wait until 600 miles and then perform a series of hard acceleration, gear hold and braking to see if the computer will learn. It seems if I disconnect the battery I'll be starting from scratch. Problem is it will take me 2 months to get to 600 miles as I'm only 7 miles from work and use the wife's 4 Runner on the weekend with the kids.

I have 3000 km on the clock with my 2018. I find that the Sport mode gives me adequate punch to accelerate when I need to - especially on the onramps to the multilane highways. I also love the throaty roar that I get when engaging it.

I have 3000 km on the clock with my 2018. I find that the Sport mode gives me adequate punch to accelerate when I need to - especially on the onramps to the multilane highways. I also love the throaty roar that I get when engaging it.

Iske, do you switch to sport mode rather than just stomp it when you want to accelerate? Do you feel that it gives you better acceleration?

Sport mode does sharpen throttle response which assists with standing start acceleration but it probably shows more of its "speciality" when you are already at speed and want to instant action as it's already sitting in the "optimum" rev range

Sport mode does sharpen throttle response which assists with standing start acceleration but it probably shows more of its "speciality" when you are already at speed and want to instant action as it's already sitting in the "optimum" rev range

That's the issue...it's not staying in "optimum" rev range. I probably would have never noticed but my 17 Touring seemed to more responsive and kept it at the optimum rev range.

Has anyone tested 0-60 with sport mode vs standard? Or know of any tests online?

Saw a clip on Youtube where with 2 people in it, did 0-100km/h in normal mode in 8.16 seconds.

It's not 0-60 I'm having an issue with it's the revs holding at a higher RPM. When I switch sport mode on it does not rev up and when I shut it off it does rev down. It stays the same as "regular" mode. I'd bring it to the dealership but they are terrible at taking care of the car. Last time they scratched the piano black trim around the shifter and got black grease or something on the suede inserts. I now have real leather in the parchment color which is easy to clean but why should I have to worry.

It's not 0-60 I'm having an issue with it's the revs holding at a higher RPM. When I switch sport mode on it does not rev up and when I shut it off it does rev down. It stays the same as "regular" mode. I'd bring it to the dealership but they are terrible at taking care of the car. Last time they scratched the piano black trim around the shifter and got black grease or something on the suede inserts. I now have real leather in the parchment color which is easy to clean but why should I have to worry.

This sounds like you're going to have to put up with the dealer or else live with the problem.
If they mess up your car, be firm and polite and demand that they make it right.
Or find another dealer. They're not all the same.

The 0-60 question is not related to your problem. But it was stated that sport mode can yield better acceleration. I'm looking for confirmation of that, because I doubt it.

Back