2016.5 AWD CX-5 is getting good MPG's

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I have been getting consistently ~1.5-2.0 MPG better mileage the last 6 months both city and highway by changing a small piece my driving technique. Since it was so simple and painless to achieve, I thought I would share my method and results here for others to experiment with.

Stop using your brake pedal.

? (uhm)

Yes, that's right. Not all the time of course, but just by slightly increasing your following distance, and anticipating slowdowns by lifting off of the throttle at a quicker rate, and slightly earlier, so that you do not have to use the brakes. Because every time you hit the brakes, you are wasting fuel.

I would like to encourage other posters here to try increasing the use of this technique for a few drives, or even better, a few tanks, and see just how much it changes your MPG's. I know that to many posters here, this is not going to be news. But simply sometimes we might need a reminder.

Last edited:
Yea I read about hypermilling and this is the main thing they tell you to focus on. The gauge in the Cx5 that says your mpg is helpful for maximizing your mpg. Also make sure your tires are up to pressure and spark plugs are clean!

Yea I read about hypermilling and this is the main thing they tell you to focus on. The gauge in the Cx5 that says your mpg is helpful for maximizing your mpg. Also make sure your tires are up to pressure and spark plugs are clean!

Less aggressive driving on the overall reduces gas consumption.

I have been getting consistently ~1.5-2.0 MPG better mileage the last 6 months both city and highway by changing a small piece my driving technique. Since it was so simple and painless to achieve, I thought I would share my method and results here for others to experiment with.

Stop using your brake pedal.

? (uhm)

Yes, that's right. Not all the time of course, but just by slightly increasing your following distance, and anticipating slowdowns by lifting off of the throttle at a quicker rate, and slightly earlier, so that you do not have to use the brakes. Because every time you hit the brakes, you are wasting fuel.

I would like to encourage other posters here to try increasing the use of this technique for a few drives, or even better, a few tanks, and see just how much it changes your MPG's. I know that to many posters here, this is not going to be news. But simply sometimes we might need a reminder.

Yup, and the next thing is stay off the gas. Really. Use it to get up to speed and after that, be very gentle with it. Also, stay off the gas and brakes when heading to a light.

Less aggressive driving on the overall reduces gas consumption.

yea definitely. my friend speeds up to red lights just to have to brake and i can't understand for the life of me why he continues to do this after i tell him what a waste it is

There are tons of tricks to improve MPG.
These were well discussed on Prius forum... Those guys went all out on that front.
Hypermiling is just 101.
Inflat your tires to 40psi+,
LRR tires,
Accelerate properly, not necessarily slowly, to an intended speed and hold it steady by keeping a longer distance from the vehicle ahead of yours.
Anticipate red lights ahead...
Many things you can do to improve an extra 10% or so.

yea definitely. my friend speeds up to red lights just to have to brake and i can't understand for the life of me why he continues to do this after i tell him what a waste it is

Thinks it's fun? Likes to scare other drivers? Has a death wish? Just likes to jerk your chain?

Back