Are trade-ins ever worth it?

:
2015 Mazda3
My car is a 2015 Mazda 3, over 100,000 miles (do Lyft and Uber). Still owes about $7K. To trade in or not, for a 2018 Mazda3.

Is there a reason why you don't want to sell it, yourself?
That's what I would do if I wanted a new car.
But really, what are you gaining? Your 2015 can easily rack up over 200,000 miles. Your bottom line of expenditures would be far less if you just kept driving your 2015. Just keep up with maintenance requirements and save some of that savings for your retirement.
That's my advice.

My car is a 2015 Mazda 3, over 100,000 miles (do Lyft and Uber). Still owes about $7K. To trade in or not, for a 2018 Mazda3.

Why buy at retail and sell at wholesale? You lose 20% of the value of the 2015 right off the top!

It's only 'worth' it if you don't want to go thru the hassle of selling it youself. Besides why do you want to trade it? The new Mazda3 is right around the corner. Might as well wait for that.

I owe about $6500 more. It was bought new from the dealership. That's why I thought a trade in might be "ideal"? I guess not?

I owe about $6500 more. It was bought new from the dealership. That's why I thought a trade in might be "ideal"? I guess not?

When you trade in to the dealer (in NY) the value comes off the total purchase price you pay sales tax on when registering. Also when I just sold my car myself we got literally 100 people texting and asking things like is it still available and when you answer yes they never answer back and one person asking if we can hold the car for a month until their tax return comes in. Luckily it sold in two days or we would still be answering questions.

You can likely sell your vehicle privately for +20-30% on what the deal would offer you. Research market/book value and post if for sale online and see what happens.

A lot of people just like the ease of trading. Selling can be a pain. Also, if there's anything wrong with the car, you don't want to deal with selling someone a trouble car even if that means just keeping your conscience clear. Of you should disclose this but still. That's usually when I and many people trade in is when expensive repairs present themselves. I prefer the dealer or ultimately the wholesaler deal with that.

I'm one of those who doesn't want to get through the hassle of selling privately, especially the paperworks.

Very little paperwork....at least here in WA state. Bill of sale and report of sale. The latter can be done online. So little for so much more $$$. I have always sold my vehicles to first buyer. I will never give dealer thousands extra for free.

Back