CX5 Got hit today in the rear left

:
2016 CX5 GT
I had this 2016 CX5 Grand Touring for about a month now. Today someone hit me in a grocery store parking lot backing out. They have no damage at all. They have an older 2004 Honda CRV and it’s tailgate mounted tire did the damage. I wasn’t moving, they were and I was in reverse to move but I stayed put since the system was beeping for rear cross traffic alert.

Anyway I’m hoping that it will eventually be good as new soon. I’m anxious to get this fixed.

f63dc917e98f63fdf3d087533011b580.jpg

2192174f36e97814791475df1116a648.jpg

29daece95934d2813ae418a8f0980d59.jpg

bd5ad37085ace21b5d506af258d2a6f6.jpg

Ugh this hurts to look at. Sorry this happened but thankfully no one was hurt, right? Doesn't look too serious of a fix so I'm sure it'll be back to looking great in no time!

If the blind spot / cross-traffic sensors are damaged, this may be more involving then it looks.

I agree with yugrus. That should be your first concern. Tail light piece will be replace - but focus on sensors and rear hatch alignment. Try opening and shutting it 50 times atleast.
I had a door scratch and now see increased noise when i operate window on that side lol. creek creek

It still beeps when in reverse and it detects someone behind. I just hope the guy doesn't change his story when he talks to his insurance. To ME, he said "Im so sorry, that was my fault, I didn't see you".

For my side of the story I did have it in reverse to activate the camera, a car went by (beep beep), after that it looked clear, but I pull out about a foot and stop to make sure (hard to see in a busy grocery store lot). I do that and stop, then I hear beep beep again and see this guy from catercorner space behind me in a CRV backing up and he's not stopping! I wanted to throw it into drive and pull forward but there just was not enough time. He has no damage because his rear tire hit the car. I wasn't moving and he was, and I guess they say the car that's not moving gets the most damage.

No one was hurt. It made more noise than anything.

I know these things are fixable, but the whole situation just stinks. I have this car for a month, now I have to deal with this inconvenience. A stone already cracked my windshield a week into ownership and I had a new windshield installed from Safelite for my $100 comprehensive deducatable. My collision deductible is $500 so hopefully the guy doesn't change his story because then its driver vs. driver, who knows what happens. My local body shop is a friend of the family so they usually work pretty hard to keep the costs down to where the insurance check covers most of it, if not all of it so if the guy does change his story I may not have the full $500 to pay.

It still beeps when in reverse and it detects someone behind. I just hope the guy doesn't change his story when he talks to his insurance. To ME, he said "Im so sorry, that was my fault, I didn't see you".

For my side of the story I did have it in reverse to activate the camera, a car went by (beep beep), after that it looked clear, but I pull out about a foot and stop to make sure (hard to see in a busy grocery store lot). I do that and stop, then I hear beep beep again and see this guy from catercorner space behind me in a CRV backing up and he's not stopping! I wanted to throw it into drive and pull forward but there just was not enough time. He has no damage because his rear tire hit the car. I wasn't moving and he was, and I guess they say the car that's not moving gets the most damage.

No one was hurt. It made more noise than anything.

I know these things are fixable, but the whole situation just stinks. I have this car for a month, now I have to deal with this inconvenience. A stone already cracked my windshield a week into ownership and I had a new windshield installed from Safelite for my $100 comprehensive deducatable. My collision deductible is $500 so hopefully the guy doesn't change his story because then its driver vs. driver, who knows what happens. My local body shop is a friend of the family so they usually work pretty hard to keep the costs down to where the insurance check covers most of it, if not all of it so if the guy does change his story I may not have the full $500 to pay.

Ugh Safelite...the body shop I use for repairs tells me that Safelite, when they do replacements scrape the old adhesive off the painted window frame with a sharp edged knife and take the paint with them. They put the new glue over top of what they scrape off, not treating the metal. Over time, salt brine from the roads works it's way into the untreated metal, corrosion/rust develops and puts pressure on your windshield and it cracks again. This time you have to pay for the corrosion repair and the windshield repair. They are fast for a reason, they cut corners in the repair. They can get the windshield in nice and straight, but the damage was already done.

thankfully the damage is superficial and can be restored to good as new basically, but my god what is wrong with people in parking lots. some lady nearly totaled my 2000 s40 years ago because she backed up into it while I was working inside the building. thankfully she was honest and called the police and a cop found me working inside, but her excuse was "she thought she was in drive not reverse". my s40 was never the same after that.

OP, it could be worse--could have been a hit and run especially since that CRV had 0 damage

Ok the first estimate from the other guys insurance company is currently sitting at $1402.79 to repair.

I’m awaiting my insurance companies appraisal and then also which insurance is going to cover it when liability is determined.

Since I need a new taillight, can I get then ones with the circular LED’s in then. Obviously I would pay the difference. Just wondering if it’s simply plug and play.

2016 GT - currently without the LED lighting package.

Since I need a new taillight, can I get then ones with the circular LED’s in then. Obviously I would pay the difference. Just wondering if it’s simply plug and play.

2016 GT - currently without the LED lighting package.

I will tell you this - I Personally hate the touring tail lights. The turn signal indicators is not very functional and the looks are not so great - even if you went with LED ones, problem would be same, but I believe the LEDs should be plug and play from MAzda.

You also have an option of looking up eBAy for Mazda tail lights - some very good design in the $300 range. It will be same as plug and play with a small resistor that your store will be able to mount. It goes without saying this part from eBay will not be warrantied by anyone. Sometime back I saw really nice tail lights on eBay for $43. You can keep searching and pocket the difference.

I like this look + there is a VW type looking on eBay check it out too.
images

Is that what the Mazda lights are called with the circular led... touring tail lights? Interesting, I have a Grand Touring which should be one step higher. Though I do not have the adaptive cruse control, which I think that package has different lights. Tech package is it called?

Yeah I saw a bunch on ebay. Its a tough call because it would be nice to see it in person. I like the Mazda ones, I just don't know how to word that search or know the part number.

When I had my VW GTI the aftermarket community was plentiful. In fact any of the German brands seemed to have a HUGE aftermarket support. Now that I switched brands (sick of German unreliability and high cost of parts) I'm not sure of all the websites or companies out there that specialize in aftermarkets accessories. It seems ebay is a good start.

Is that what the Mazda lights are called with the circular led... touring tail lights? Interesting, I have a Grand Touring which should be one step higher. Though I do not have the adaptive cruse control, which I think that package has different lights. Tech package is it called?

Yeah I saw a bunch on ebay. Its a tough call because it would be nice to see it in person. I like the Mazda ones, I just don't know how to word that search or know the part number.

When I had my VW GTI the aftermarket community was plentiful. In fact any of the German brands seemed to have a HUGE aftermarket support. Now that I switched brands (sick of German unreliability and high cost of parts) I'm not sure of all the websites or companies out there that specialize in aftermarkets accessories. It seems ebay is a good start.

No, I have a touring and it seems you get the same tail lights unless you have the premium package. Weird I though on GT the head / tail lights would be the nicer looking ones.
reason i hate tail lights is - your turn indicators are only visible to your side lane cars following at a distance, not to the car directly behind you.

It would be cool if someone made an animated turn signal like on the new Audi’s. Even on the mustang it does a little animation.

No, I have a touring and it seems you get the same tail lights unless you have the premium package. Weird I though on GT the head / tail lights would be the nicer looking ones.
reason i hate tail lights is - your turn indicators are only visible to your side lane cars following at a distance, not to the car directly behind you.

I just went and looked at a 17 Touring and an 18 Touring with PEP and both had very bright amber turn lights that are very visible from directly behind. I don't know if they were different on earlier years

Well yeah the whole car is different starting in 17.

I like the new design, just impossible to find equipped the way I want it at the price point I was looking at. I ended up with the 2016, even that was at my ceiling for price.

It took awhile to get into my local family run shop that I use, but we’re just like new again.

Best part, nothing out of pocket and I had a brand new 2018 Mazda6, fully loaded for the week. What a great rental that was. Got it with only 17 miles on the odometer.

06edaabac13032b95af0a47fd2041ba2.heic

bdd0a82576ca08164fef65f9f05c6554.heic

f78c6c1e406de24b8daaa6b16e5880cd.heic

Love the color LCD in the gauge cluster. Wish I could do a cluster swap!
55847ff3383fbbfa03533003350b15f5.heic

45ffd300750ccc88a075f90ceef9cc4f.heic

My car is back to normal

4aceb5d4e7f6518f6fed7e6862d56e45.heic

Back