Advice Please: Dealer Scuffed the Paint on My CX-5

wushane

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Originally posted in Accessories & Appearance but realised that it's probably more appropriate here.

Wondering if anyone's experienced something similar to this.

Last week I noticed a few spots on my hood where it looked as though the paint was bubbling. Not wanting to investigate further on the chance that it would be a defect, I took it to the dealer. The guy who runs the service dept there has always been quite helpful, and I would consider them to be be go-to spot for service on my Mazda. He came out to look, scratched at the spots with his fingernail, and determined it was just sap. He then proceeded to grab some fluid from the garage, and a cloth, and started rubbing the area in attempts to remove the sap. He did manage to get rid of much of it and told me to try a quick detailer wax next time I wash.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I washed and used the quick detailer on the entire vehicle, I noticed that the spots where the guy from the dealership rubbed are marred; a grouping of fine scratches and matted sheen, roughly 2"x4". Needless to say I'm not pumped.

I'm wondering a few things:
- I'm hoping this is just an issue with the clearcoat being damaged, can this be repaired to be as new with polishing, etc?
- Is it worth going to the dealer and insisting they take responsibility for it? Essentially the guy was trying to do me a favor, and I don't want to jeopardize my relationship with the dealership, as the other ones in my city are garbage and/or very inconveniently located for me. I also anticipate them saying that there's no proof that it was caused by them, and that it was from my own attempts at removing the sap (I made no attempts on my own prior to noticing the damaged paint).

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

To quote FDR (and I don't do that often because I'm not a fan!) "You have nothing to fear but fear itself!" Get your car back to the dealer asap and present your case to the service manager exactly as you've outlined it here. You can do this reasonably, without getting all worked up, making it clear to them that you did nothing to cause or exacerbate this damage. Explain that, although you appreciate the guy's attempt to help, he clearly made matters worse and you expect then to make it right. If they don't, got to Mazda Canada and get them involved.

You can be nice about it. If they don't set it right you have to weigh both options. Fixing yourself will cost some money as you need a rubbing compound, wax, clay bar etc. And time.

My #1 reason for never consider mazda is dealer experience. So even in a top auto market you cannot get a good dealership. So tread wisely.

Next time the guy will learn how is it to do free favors to customers. No good deed shall be left unpunished.

Last edited:
Next time the guy will learn how is it to do free favors to customers. No good deed shall be left unpunished.

Is it really a 'good deed' or a 'favor' if it causes damage, though? Perhaps he'll learn to use the right technique/materials to actually correct the problem rather than causing more issues. That's probably more constructive or level-headed takeaway from the situation.

Fixing yourself will cost some money as you need a rubbing compound, wax, clay bar etc.

Probably wouldn't need all of that, probably just need to be buffed out to get it back to shiny again.

Do you have any pics of this "damage"?

Try a little rubbing compound and wax on the spot first. May only require some buffing. He probably used some "bug and tar remover" on it.

Is it really a 'good deed' or a 'favor' if it causes damage, though? Perhaps he'll learn to use the right technique/materials to actually correct the problem rather than causing more issues. That's probably more constructive or level-headed takeaway from the situation.
Yeah... The service advisor as a detailing expert. If I let anyone with qualifications unknown touch my car, I'd blame myself.
His proper action should have been a suggestion to you to take the sap off yourself.

Last edited:
Try a little rubbing compound and wax on the spot first. May only require some buffing. He probably used some "bug and tar remover" on it.
Most likely he used brake clean. I doubt they'd have the bug and tar remover.

Yeah... The service advisor as a detailing expert. If I let anyone with qualifications unknown touch my car, I'd blame myself.

Who hurt you?
Not sure why you insist on being belligerent, but I'll take the bait, as this is a forum where people shouldn't have to worry about trolls.

If he's representing the dealer/manufacturer, he should have the discretion to determine whether he is qualified to address the issue with his product or not. If he looks and says that he's not qualified, fine - I'l take any advice and seek out assistance elsewhere. I didn't have a gun to his head.
There's an implicit trust between a consumer and the vendor, was I supposed to check his resume before he touched my vehicle? No - they sell the cars, they should know what's best for the cars, even if it's knowing when NOT to do something. The guy deals with cars (Mazdas) all day, why wouldn't I trust his judgement? Find something better to do with your day than completely derail a reasonable conversation, buddy.

Take it back, they broke it so they fix it. You spent a lot of money on that car, unless you're ok with looking at those spots the remainder of your loan period. If they don't want to make good on the damage they did then they're the ones "jeopardizing" your relationship.

Good to know. Thanks! I may try that, though I wonder if I should leave it altogether until I get a chance to show them, in case it can't be fixed with that alone. I really don't want to have to pay for a paint repair on my brand new car with ~2000km on it.

Take it back, they broke it so they fix it. You spent a lot of money on that car, unless you're ok with looking at those spots the remainder of your loan period. If they don't want to make good on the damage they did then they're the ones "jeopardizing" your relationship.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I hope they see it the same way. And honestly, they've been so great so far, it just feels crappy having to bring them to task for something, which will likely come out of their pockets.

I'd give them a chance to make it right first, before you do anything else to it.
The dealer may want to keep you happy as much as you want to keep the relationship good. The only way to fix the relationship at this point is to allow them to fix the damage. If they won't, then you reevaluate.

Good to know. Thanks! I may try that, though I wonder if I should leave it altogether until I get a chance to show them, in case it can't be fixed with that alone. I really don't want to have to pay for a paint repair on my brand new car with ~2000km on it.

Do not mess with it! Take it back and let them correct their own mistake. Why is this so difficult to understand?

I agree with others - likely bug and tar remover not brake cleaner - dealers do have proper cleaning stuff laying around.

Cleaners like that remove wax and usually make things look a bit dull. As others mentioned some ultra light polishing compound should make it good as new, followed by a bit of wax.

If you have the time to go to the dealer you can ask them to fix it, i am sure they will. Personally, I would save myself the trip and do it myself, but I do most work myself.

Took it to the dealer because you saw sap on the car, now blame the dealer for trying to get the sap off. That's like blaming the knife when it cuts you.

Shoulda bought some bug and tar remover and done it yourself, huh? Now you're stuck with going back to those morons again and again until they make it better.

Polish it and give it a good coat of Carnuba. If that doesn't help, he ****** up your clearcoat and there's no going back, only forward to a paint job.

In my experience, once you cough up the dough for the down payment, they don't give 2 s**** about you OR your car. Don't ever bring your car to the dealership unless it's something you can't fix yourself and something that's under warranty. Those guys are idiots.

I watched the mechanic at my local Mazda Dealer (Ocean Mazda in Santa Cruz, ca, now renamed Subaru of Santa Cruz, even though they still sell Mazdas too) back my 1 month old Miata into a FEDEX truck. He hopped in, fired it up, dumped the clutch and POW. It took all I had to not run over there and curb stomp him. Never again the dealership for me.

OP, sorry to hurt your feelings, forget it. I thought some common sense would prevail over the expectations of whatever customer-vendor relationships should be. I've never being anyone's buddy on this forum, by the way, nor a troll.
I've just had being in business long enough to see a lose-lose situation here. Saw that before.

OP, sorry to hurt your feelings, forget it. I thought some common sense would prevail over the expectations of whatever customer-vendor relationships should be. I've never being anyone's buddy on this forum, by the way, nor a troll.
I've just had being in business long enough to see a lose-lose situation here. Saw that before.

giveafuck.gif

Back