Advice Please: Dealer Scuffed the Paint on My CX-5

wushane

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Wondering if anyone's experienced something similar to this.

Last week I noticed a few spots on my hood where it looked as though the paint was bubbling. Not wanting to investigate further on the chance that it would be a defect, I took it to the dealer. The guy who runs the service dept there has always been quite helpful, and I would consider them to be be go-to spot for service on my Mazda. He came out to look, scratched at the spots with his fingernail, and determined it was just sap. He then proceeded to grab some fluid from the garage, and a cloth, and started rubbing the area in attempts to remove the sap. He did manage to get rid of much of it and told me to try a quick detailer wax next time I wash.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I washed and used the quick detailer on the entire vehicle, I noticed that the spots where the guy from the dealership rubbed are marred; a grouping of fine scratches and matted sheen, roughly 2"x4". Needless to say I'm not pumped.

I'm wondering a few things:
- I'm hoping this is just an issue with the clearcoat being damaged, can this be repaired to be as new with polishing, etc?
- Is it worth going to the dealer and insisting they take responsibility for it? Essentially the guy was trying to do me a favor, and I don't want to jeopardize my relationship with the dealership, as the other ones in my city are garbage and/or very inconveniently located for me. I also anticipate them saying that there's no proof that it was caused by them, and that it was from my own attempts at removing the sap (I made no attempts on my own prior to noticing the damaged paint).

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Back