2017~2024 LOCKED OUT of my CX-5 GT

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Premium
I got locked out of my 2017 CX-5 with the key fob INSIDE the car and the engine running. It happened at the local car wash. The key fob was inside, the engine was running, and after closing the tailgate the car wash guy pushed the lock button at the tail gate. BOOM, LOCKED OUT!! My wife came to rescue me with the other key, but does anyone know how to get out of this type of predicament?? I tried all the door buttons and rear hatch button, but none of them unlocked the vehicle. (eyeballs)

I did something similar shortly shortly after getting my 2013 way back when. Had to have Mazda roadside service come and open the car for me. I immediately went out and got a magnetic key box and had a duplicate door lock key made using the hidden key inside the fob. It lives under the rear of the car on top of the trailer hitch framing. I'll never suffer through that ordeal again!

My brother had the same in Chicago anproblem with a HONDA SUV. He was at OHAIR airport in Chicago. The airport security was ready to tow it away as a possible bomb car. Nothing worked and thay had to get a locksmith to put a bladder in the door and slowly force it open.

I got a leather key fob case with a lobster clasp that allows me to latch in on my belt loop. Key always stay with me now.

If you have the advanced keyless entry, which I believe the 2018 Grand has standard you can just press the hatch release and it will open. Not sure about the 2017, I have a 2018 touring with advanced and tossed a backpack that had my key into the trunk. I pressed the hatch button and it opened right up.

Car is working as expected. Someday we will find a thread that says - "I put the car in D and it went forward - omg how do I stop it??"

This is certainly possible but truthfully hard to do. The car has to lose track of the fob for this to happen. If it can 'see' the fob and it's inside the car it will allow you to unlock it. Mine lives in the cupholder much of the time.

This can certainly happen. Best advice I can offer is to keep your fob on you. Since it is a push button start, I see very little reason to take the fob off your person, unless dropping it off to someone (like when I go to the tire shop).

Edit: Though it sounds like maybe this was one of those car washes where you drop the car off (you leave the fob in it) and they run it through and clean it, etc.? In which case, did the car wash lock it?

Edit 2: Just re-read your first post OP. Yeah, that stinks. I didn't even know the tailgate had a lock button. Is that new with Gen 2's?

Last edited:
LOL i'd hate to be that tow guy

controller: Uh, Mike. Possible VBIED at airport. Please pick up and deliver to storage
Mike: *s**** himself while loading and driving with a possible bomb 15 feet behind him*

my key just stays with me, i've had a cx5 for over 2 years and never once had an issue with the key. sometimes i forget the keys in the center console and when I walk away, I notice the car doesn't auto lock like it would if my keys were on me, so I go back and get my keys. usually the problem is me leaving it unlocked, not locking myself out. i got a nice silicone case for my keyfob and i just attached it to my keyring with a lanyard. the keys stay around my neck if i don't have pockets or in my pocket if i do
IMG_4678.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't even know the tailgate had a lock button. Is that new with Gen 2's?

You've found the key to the mystery, CD.
No, there is no "lock button", at least on a GT. It's an "open button".

So what did actually happen here?

Last edited:
You've found the key to the mystery, CD.
No, there is no "lock button". It's an "open button".

So what did actually happen here?

There is a button you can push on the tailgate that will lock the doors on the 17 models (I assume the 18s as well). If you're looking at the rear of the vehicle, with the liftgate closed, there is a little black square softtouch button to the right of the liftgate handle (separate area than the open button, rear view camera, etc). If you push it then it will beep once like when you push your other door button locks, I've only used it to lock, never to unlock, but I assume it works the same if you need to let someone in the vehicle at the same time you open the liftgate

There is a button you can push on the tailgate that will lock the doors on the 17 models (I assume the 18s as well). If you're looking at the rear of the vehicle, with the liftgate closed, there is a little black square softtouch button to the right of the liftgate handle (separate area than the open button, rear view camera, etc). If you push it then it will beep once like when you push your other door button locks, I've only used it to lock, never to unlock, but I assume it works the same if you need to let someone in the vehicle at the same time you open the liftgate

You're right, I never noticed that! And can't think of when I would use it.
Unlike the front door buttons, it apparently will only lock, not toggle lock/unlock.
But the fact remains, if the car senses the fob, it should unlock.
So why didn't it?

I just tried to recreate this problem.
I started the car and left my fob in a cupholder. Got out, opened the hatch, closed it, and tried to lock with the tailgate button.
It would not respond, would not lock.
I retrieved the fob, put it in my pocket, walked around to the back, and locked the car with the hatch button.
Tried it again with the engine off. Same result.
My car will not lock the doors if the fob is left inside.

So my guess is OP's car just had a brain fart.
OR
He had the fob in a really funny place in the car so that the receivers couldn't sense it, since they have very short range.

I just tried to recreate this problem.
I started the car and left my fob in a cupholder. Got out, opened the hatch, closed it, and tried to lock with the tailgate button.
It would not respond, would not lock.
I retrieved the fob, put it in my pocket, walked around to the back, and locked the car with the hatch button.
Tried it again with the engine off. Same result.
My car will not lock the doors if the fob is left inside.

So my guess is OP's car just had a brain fart.
OR
He had the fob in a really funny place in the car so that the receivers couldn't sense it, since they have very short range.
Yeah, I don't know how the OP had this issue, for the most part it's a fail safe, so it may be it couldn't read the key. Has anyone tried to manually push the lock button (not the electronic one, but the physical one above the inside handle) and close the door and see if it stays locked? Other cars I've had won't actually allow that button to stay in the lock position if the door is open and the key is inside regardless of engine on or off. If it doesn't force it to stay in the unlock position then that might be what created the problem.

I carry a door only key in my billfold. I had it made a hardware store and it allows me to open the door but, not start the engine. 2014 CX5

I will have to test this out on mine later.

I know if I try to lock the whole car with the fob while it's running, it will not work. But I'm pretty sure if I hit the lock button on the door, it would lock, and if I left my fob inside, I would certainly lock myself out. I don't have the auto lock/unlock or those weird buttons on the door handles. Not sure how that works.

Maybe here is an answer,
If the key is left in the following areas
and you leave the vehicle, the doors
may be locked depending on the radio
wave conditions even if the key is left in
the vehicle.
 Around the dashboard
 In the storage compartments such as
the glove compartment or the center
console
 Next to a communication device such
as a mobile phone

When the ignition is switched to ACC
or ON, the vehicle lock-out prevention
feature prevents you from locking
yourself out of the vehicle.
 All doors and the liftgate will
automatically unlock if they are locked
using the power door locks with any
door or the liftgate open.
 The vehicle lock-out prevention feature
does not operate while the ignition is
switched off.

When any door is opened from the
outside while the key is inside the
vehicle, the closed doors are locked. All
the doors are automatically unlocked by
closing the open door.
 (With the advanced keyless function)
 The beep sound is heard for about
10 seconds to notify the driver that the
key has been left in the vehicle.
 (Without the advanced keyless
function)
 The horn sound is heard twice to notify
the driver that the key has been left in
the vehicle

Operation from outside
To lock any door with the door-lock knob
from the outside, press the door-lock
knob to the lock position and close the
door (holding the door handle in the open
position is not required).
This does not operate the other door locks.
NOTE
When locking the door this way, be careful
not to leave the key inside the vehicle.

Back