Lots of work done to my MSP. Some problems afterwards.

MrDiggler

Contributor
:
Spicy MSP #1349, '88 323 GTX, '79 10th Ann. T/A, 462 ci 4-spd
I had a blown LSD back in early last October. I finally picked up my MSP yesterday and it now has a good used transmission in it. My mechanic also replaced my struts and springs with low mileage factory units. and swapped in my wastegate actuator for a good working unit. I had put a new turbo in it and had almost zero boost ever since. Now I have boost, but not sure exactly what my readings are yet.

The problem I'm having with the suspension is a kind of wandering/crawling/darting around under boost, as well as my steering wheel kicking to the left after I've boosted and let off to switch gears. Now, I had my alignment done using specs from 2008 for my first MSP. Part of that includes zero toe, which really helped the handling on that car and didn't cause me any problems with directional control. My mechanic thinks that's a factor, and strongly thinks I have a problem with my driver's side axle...thinks it's the reason for this behavior plus an ongoing problem I've had with the car darting to the left in a left hand turn. I thought it was the mismatched struts and springs I had, which is one reason I replaced everything and with factory equipment. Any ideas?

Finally, the boost seems weird with this new WGA (it came off my original turbo and worked great on it). Boost is strong but not as consistent as I'd like, plus I've had some hesitation and cutting out with the newer WGA. Think there may be a boost leak? I will hook up a boost gauge tomorrow as soon as the rain stops here. Ideas on that?

Sounds like you have a transmission with an open differential. The Toe issue is also a problem. You'll be able to burn the tires easier but the loose steering effect comes into play.

I had issues with inconsistent boost, actually I still do. Try cleaning your MAF first or maybe swap on a spare if you have one. I recently did a smoke test on mine and found that there is a leak at the throttle body shaft seal which I recently found out is a common (but not very well known) Protege problem. Check out the last page of my build thread to see a picture of the rebuild kit.

Back