Question about navigation SD card update

New18CX5

:
2018 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring Premier
I have a 2016 CX-5, and the navigation updates are through Mazda Toolbox. There are applications for updates and extended service purchases after the original 3 yrs is up. Would suggest looking in the owners manual for 2018 options (they may have changed). You can go into the settings and look for the software version to compare with the latest version available.

I have a Mazda CX-5 GT
When I update my SD card, do I go to TomTom website or Mazda Connect? Also are there other updates that I should be aware of? Gracenote etc.

Is there a way of seeing if everything is up to date without taking SD card out of car?

These are the 2 sites I found for updating SD card for Nav.
http://mazdanav.com/user_guides/software-update/ or http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/howto-manageupdates?language=en-RW

The second infotainment link is almost correct - if you scroll down the page, you will see link for mazda toolbox. You actually want the usa site

http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/vehicle_select?return_to=/howto-updatemymaps?language=en-US

You can find the maps version in the infotainment info on the car system. The latest map was Feb 2018

I have cx5 2017 and have downloaded the Mazda tool box in my Windows computer and then inserted the SD car with navigation Maps etc. The tool box asked me to register an account which I did and after that it asked me to backup the old map from the SD card and then started to down load new European Maps. This has been going on for three hours. It does take a long time. I even had trouble registering an account since it kept on throwing me back to the first page. I tried it at least 6 times before I succeeded in registering my account. Tomorrow I might test the new map to see if it is any better. Also realized that Mazda is using " here maps", the same as in our android and Windows phones.

Last edited:
This is helpful. The navigation system has sent me to roads closed, one way streets (in the opposite direction!), and wrong addresses quite a few times. I guess it's time for an upgrade even though I got my car in January 2018. So, I gather that the update cannot be done while the car is in the car? So, I take the card out and I download the update via my computer. So, I guess I need a card reader, right?

Thank you.

This is helpful. The navigation system has sent me to roads closed, one way streets (in the opposite direction!), and wrong addresses quite a few times. I guess it's time for an upgrade even though I got my car in January 2018. So, I gather that the update cannot be done while the car is in the car? So, I take the card out and I download the update via my computer. So, I guess I need a card reader, right?

Thank you.

Yes an SD card reader is needed. Maps are updated twice a year as a minimum.

I just updated the SD card. It took no longer than 30 minutes to download the toolbox and install it on my macintosh. I inserted the card into the computer and had to register with the source. Once that was done, the program read my card and updated it. Mazda's website stated that the last update was after my car was built, so the card was not up to date. Not difficult at all.

I just updated the SD card. It took no longer than 30 minutes to download the toolbox and install it on my macintosh. I inserted the card into the computer and had to register with the source. Once that was done, the program read my card and updated it. Mazda's website stated that the last update was after my car was built, so the card was not up to date. Not difficult at all.

What version did you receive?

Back