Heated Steering Wheel

My guess is a lot of people get nervous at the numbers when making a major purchase. Its usually a sign they are spending way beyond their comfort zone.

In my case, this was the first fully loaded car Ive bought in my lifetime. I usually go for mid trim models. I can say though that I dont regret it at all. Things that were frivolous or unnecessary have turned out to be really nice to have. I would do it again if the situation arose.

Agreed. The premium package is what, $1,400? Depending on the model you pick, we are talking an increase between 4-6% to get fully loaded.

The fully loaded will sell quicker, you'll enjoy it more, and you won't have to think about why you didn't get that heated steering wheel, or your friends/colleagues won't complain about how they can't heat their butt in the back seat.

How anyone spends 25K + and is worried about an additional 5% or $1,400 to get the loaded is beyond me.

Agreed. The premium package is what, $1,400? Depending on the model you pick, we are talking an increase between 4-6% to get fully loaded.

The fully loaded will sell quicker, you'll enjoy it more, and you won't have to think about why you didn't get that heated steering wheel, or your friends/colleagues won't complain about how they can't heat their butt in the back seat.

How anyone spends 25K + and is worried about an additional 5% or $1,400 to get the loaded is beyond me.

I will emphasize once again, the jump from a Touring to a Grand Touring is about $6,000 (avg), not $1,400.

$26k Touring with PEP
$32k Grand Touring with Premium

Generally speaking that's how the numbers work out. It's NOT $1,400 difference between a fully loaded and Touring.

I will emphasize once again, the jump from a Touring to a Grand Touring is about $6,000 (avg), not $1,400.

$26k Touring with PEP

Generally speaking that's how the numbers work out. It's NOT $1,400 difference between a fully loaded and Touring.

I’m trying to figure how you came up with that number. Pricing a 2018 CX5 AWD on Mazda’s website the Touring with PP comes to $29700 (rounded). The GT with PP comes to $32000. That’s a $2300 difference.

$26k Touring with PEP

Lbear, the $1400 quoted was [more or less] the price to upgrade to PEP on the same level of trim, NOT to jump from Touring to GT. You're talking about final price for different models, while others are talking about incremental price jumps for option packages.

Please post your calculations. On the US website today, the difference between a 2018 Touring and GT both with PEP is $3625. The difference between the 17s is $4530. And on the 17s, if you ordered the PEP, you couldn't order the "touring i-activsense package", so you really were getting a lot more content with the GT. To my mind, the loaded 17 GT was the best VALUE, despite costing more. That's an individual decision.

I’m trying to figure how you came up with that number. Pricing a 2018 CX5 AWD on Mazda’s website the Touring with PP comes to $29700 (rounded). The GT with PP comes to $32000. That’s a $2300 difference.

These are actual prices of 2 vehicles I looked at:

CX5 AWD Touring with PEP = $29,100 MSRP
CX5 AWD Grand Touring with Premium = $33,500 MSRP

$4,400 difference plus the tax increase of $400 = $4,800

So rounded off it is about $5,000 more in price between the Touring and GT

I ended up getting my CX5 AWD Touring with PEP for $26,500 plus TTL

That's what I had on the table. Some people might have had other offers/deals but that's what I had and dealt with. Online, the website doesn't accurately give you the destination charges and local state pricing on CX5s. That's why some people can get better deals and others get worse deals.

Last edited:
These are actual prices of 2 vehicles I looked at:

CX5 AWD Touring with PEP = $29,100 MSRP
CX5 AWD Grand Touring with Premium = $33,500 MSRP

$4,400 difference plus the tax increase of $400 = $4,800

So rounded off it is about $5,000 more in price between the Touring and GT

I ended up getting my CX5 AWD Touring with PEP for $26,500 plus TTL

That's what I had on the table. Some people might have had other offers/deals but that's what I had and dealt with. Online, the website doesn't accurately give you the destination charges and local state pricing on CX5s. That's why some people can get better deals and others get worse deals.

I’m guessing the MSRP changes based on the zip code entered. That could explain things.

So the question remains. Can this be added if I wanted to? I get all the arguments but my father wanted it and it wasn't in the car that otherwise fit the bill.

Thank you Anchorman, the diagram at the beginning of this thread is great!

Looks like to add a heated steering wheel, we need:
new OEM heated steering wheel ($$$$)
dashboard switch to control it (and likely the seat warmer switches as they are probably one unit)
steering warmer control unit (which appears to be part of the wheel)
steering warmer unit (an integral part of the wheel)
Start Stop Unit
IG1 relay, steering wheel warmer relay, IG1 fuse and ST.HEATER fuse
compatible clock spring
interconnecting wiring (though really pretty minimal)

I am guessing the IG1 relay and the start stop unit are already there as common items. That can be determined by sight and by reading if there is switched power at the IG1 fuse.

Anyone know if the clock spring is common?

Anyone know if any of these interconnection small wiring harnesses are populated?

This seems pretty reasonable. I called a few dealerships to see if they'd do it and all said it was impossible. I am not accepting that answer.

So nobody has anything to add? No reference to an online wiring diagram? No helpful pictures of the harness in a car that doesn't have one to show yes/no if behind the seat heater switches the connector is there for the wheel heater?

Thinking the start/stop unit is engine start/stop which this car doesn't have. One less item in my list to worry about.

I took apart an MX-5 this week to add apple carplay. Mazda really knows how to put together a dash modularly. The pieces came apart easily but never broke tabs or clips. All logical and well done. Minimal effort but very secure snaps as things went back. I was really impressed. Can't imagine the CX-5 will be any different.

So nobody has anything to add? No reference to an online wiring diagram? No helpful pictures of the harness in a car that doesn't have one to show yes/no if behind the seat heater switches the connector is there for the wheel heater?

This may be of some use to you

Thinking the start/stop unit is engine start/stop which this car doesn't have. One less item in my list to worry about.

I took apart an MX-5 this week to add apple carplay. Mazda really knows how to put together a dash modularly. The pieces came apart easily but never broke tabs or clips. All logical and well done. Minimal effort but very secure snaps as things went back. I was really impressed. Can't imagine the CX-5 will be any different.
Nobody can add anything about this mod is because nobody has tried. It seemed you’re a DIYer and you can always start to collect all the price info on parts needed you’ve already know for heated steering wheel. I personally wouldn’t try this mod simply the parts will be too many and cost will be too high. Just check the price for heated leather steering wheel alone first, and you won’t be able to find a used one easily too.

I know it is going to be both expensive and risky that I'll be able to pull it off. Don't think there is any risk to trying, only in wasting the not-insignificant part costs. Still, I think it is worth it. That said, it is for my father and I haven't been able to sneak into his car and pull the seat heater switch to see if there is a plug in there for the harness to the wheel. Will do asap. If I get it working, I promise I'll post the success here.

The manuals are a huge deal. Thank you.

I get this isn't as necessary a project to most folks. If I lived somewhere with normal weather I would be wondering why anyone cares. I am in New England though and for a few months it does get bitter, bitter cold. The heated wheel becomes really, really nice.

Back