Heated Steering Wheel

Ideally, sure, having all the options is best. Nobody can argue that but like anything in life. Having the best optioned house, the best optioned TV, etc. but it comes down to $$ and budget.

True. $30K is a major outlay, and unless money is not an issue [for all you 1%ers out there], it will give anyone pause.

But the thing to consider is that if you keep your car for only 5 yrs, that $5k difference is only about $3 a day, the cost of a cup of [overpriced] coffee.

Given that most of us spend a lot of time in our cars, and most of us enjoy the time we spend in our cars, it's worth it to me to spend a little extra to get the best I can afford, one way or another. That's just my priority.

I bet Mazda sells more Touring than GT option packages. As the Touring is in the mid $20's while the GT is pushing towards the lower to mid $30's

My AWD Touring with PEP sold for $26k, while the AWD GT with Premium was $32.5k. Add the additional taxes ($500) due to the $6,500 difference in price and one is looking at $7k additional between those 2 trim models. It all starts to add up in the end and while $7k is nothing to some people, to others it's a lot and can make or break a deal.

Ideally, sure, having all the options is best. Nobody can argue that but like anything in life. Having the best optioned house, the best optioned TV, etc. but it comes down to $$ and budget.

I'm with you I think the touring is definitely the best of both worlds. If I wasn't against full on leather seats I probably would have gone for the GT. But those all leather seats are awful in both cold and hot weather extremes, I learned a hard lesson from my all leather MDX. Liking my cloth inserts too much to have added a heated steering wheel and have my ass on fire in the summer and freezing in the winter till the heated seats kick in.

I had read or heard somewhere that the GT comprised about 60% of CX5 sales and most of those also got the premium package.

...all leather seats are awful in both cold and hot weather extremes... freezing in the winter till the heated seats kick in.
I've always avoided leather, too, for those same reasons. But the entire package of the GT made me decide to take a chance.

Fortunately, the heated seats in the GT warm up really fast, so that's never a problem.

My cloth seats were way too hot in the summer, so I always tried to cover them with something like a jacket or blanket when leaving the car in the sun. I'm sure I'll have to do the same this summer with the leather. It'll be worth it for all those extra bells and whistles on the GT.

I always used to place a towel over my leather seat when left it was left under the blazing hot sun and when I would return, the seat was fine.

Mazda Australia does sell seat covers that as you can see in the photo, do fit on leather seats which could help in summer:

1gq64i.jpg

I don’t understand why people do this.

These are one of the biggest purchases of our lives, for me, it seems self defeating to skimp on an option only to try and retrofit it later at a greater cost.

A 1500 option is just a couple dozen dollars more a month.

Save a few dozen dollars a month, and in a few years you'll have an extra $1500.

I don't understand the monthly payment mentality. It's the same pitch as rent to own. Sure, you're throwing your money away, but it's only xx per xx.

I always used to place a towel over my leather seat when left it was left under the blazing hot sun and when I would return, the seat was fine.

Mazda Australia does sell seat covers that as you can see in the photo, do fit on leather seats which could help in summer:

1gq64i.jpg

It would be nice to be able to order a lot of the Ausie items here in the states. Like those covers a lot!

1gq64i.jpg

Yep, I could just imagine leaving the back seat CX5 parked in Coober Pedy during the summer for a few hours then returning only to lose your skin to the hot leather. Those covers would have to be mandatory

One can always try and order something similar from your local suppliers

Save a few dozen dollars a month, and in a few years you'll have an extra $1500.

I don't understand the monthly payment mentality. It's the same pitch as rent to own. Sure, you're throwing your money away, but it's only xx per xx.

I believe the valid point is that going from a Touring to a Grand Touring to get the heated steering wheel is MORE THAN $1,500. It's not a valid and factual statement to say that the upgrade from Touring to Grand Touring is just "$1,500"

The reality is going from a Touring to Grand Touring is generally around $6,000 when all is said and done.

Mazda specs out it's options in order to get more $$$. You like the Touring but want HUD? You have to step up to a GT and then you have to get the Premium Package, at that point, you are pushing $7,000 difference.

The way manufacturers get people into the market is by upgrading new models with different options that weren't available the prior year.

For example, one can get a 2018 GT with all the bells and whistles but then for 2019 Mazda might come out with cooled seats, front cameras, 2.5L turbo charged engine, Napa Leather option for the CX5, etc.

This then makes the 2019 "better" or more appealing and the 2018 optioned out model is no longer as appealing. That's how the game works. All manufacturers do this.

The 2016 vs 2017 is the biggest jump in options and features. The sound deadening, HUD, power lift gate, are the biggest features that appealed to many buyers. The 2017 to 2018 had some minor upgrades, while some questionable upgrades like cylinder deactivation were added. 2019 should bring another big features jump

Last edited:
Don't think there will be a major features bump around 2019 as the new one is due circa 2020

Other than the diesel that just got carb certification:)..idk about that X- Mazda was pretty relentless in rolling in changes/enhancements throughout gen1's lifecycle so we'll have to see..heated wheel def wouldn't surprise me nor would full on reserve and/or signature trim addition.

Other than the diesel that just got carb certification:)..idk about that X- Mazda was pretty relentless in rolling in changes/enhancements throughout gen1's lifecycle so we'll have to see..heated wheel wouldn't surprise me, full on reserve or signature trim addition wouldn't either.

If they add another trim, it might be around be just before new generation arrives... last hurrah for KF

1gq64i.jpg

These look awesome as i was looking for some rear seat covers, do you know of a dealership that would ship to USA?

These look awesome as i was looking for some rear seat covers, do you know of a dealership that would ship to USA?

Sorry but none do to my knowledge.

You can always send an email query to a dealer of better still to Mazda Australia HQ.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, Mazda just got US approval for the EPA diesel on the CX5. So probably by years end there will be a 2019 CX5 diesel out in the USA. Also rumor is out that it will feature a "Signature" edition which will have the Napa Leather interior.

In case this helps, a few years back I ordered a set of rear headrests from a Mazda dealership in England. It was all very easy and the payment/shipping process went extremely well. On the chance that these same seat covers are sold in England as well as Australia, you could contact the guy I used to check it out.

Here is his contact info:
Email: Andrew Fisher <andrewf@mazda-cars.com>

EnglishMazda.jpg

Back