Heated Steering Wheel

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Does the heated steering wheel on the 2017+ just heat the upper portion (9 - 3) of the steering wheel or the entire steering wheel area?

Indeed it does and you need to enable it every time you turn on the CX-5

Wish I had one in my CX-5. The one I had in my '02 Maxima was the full wheel. It looks like the one in Mazda is like the one in my GX as the wooden parts of the wheel aren't heated.

Which do you like better the BMW X3 or the CX5? (trick question)

Honestly, they are so similar. I’m a BMW guy but admittedly the CX-5 provides almost everything the X3 does. I just can’t have two of the same vehicles.

#diplomatic [emoji41]

This may be a silly question, but common sense would have it that the steering wheel on the model with heated steering wheel is exactly the same as the steering wheel on the models without heated steering wheel. Is it then possible to connect the heating element (on a CX5 without the heated steering wheel) as an after-market mod?

This may be a silly question, but common sense would have it that the steering wheel on the model with heated steering wheel is exactly the same as the steering wheel on the models without heated steering wheel. Is it then possible to connect the heating element (on a CX5 without the heated steering wheel) as an after-market mod?

Yep I wonder about that as well even though I have the heated steering wheel. The wiring harness has to have the wires and connections ready.

I can assure you that the steering wheels are not the same. You also need a different clock spring, a control unit and a switch panel.

I don’t understand why people do this.

These are one of the biggest purchases of our lives, for me, it seems self defeating to skimp on an option only to try and retrofit it later at a greater cost.

A 1500 option is just a couple dozen dollars more a month.

I don’t understand why people do this.

These are one of the biggest purchases of our lives, for me, it seems self defeating to skimp on an option only to try and retrofit it later at a greater cost.

My guess is a lot of people get nervous at the numbers when making a major purchase. It’s usually a sign they are spending way beyond their comfort zone.

In my case, this was the first fully loaded car I’ve bought in my lifetime. I usually go for mid trim models. I can say though that I don’t regret it at all. Things that were frivolous or unnecessary have turned out to be really nice to have. I would do it again if the situation arose.

I dont understand why people do this.

Sometimes the particular option/color people want is not available, so they have to compromise.

Going from a 2017 AWD Touring with PEP to a 2017 AWD Grand Touring with Premium is about a $5,000 jump in price.

The heated steering wheel is nice but not available on the Touring. One has to get the GT and then if you want the HUD, you have to get the Premium Package. Like I mentioned, at that point you are about $5,000 more in price.

In my case, this was the first fully loaded car I’ve bought in my lifetime. I usually go for mid trim models. I can say though that I don’t regret it at all. Things that were frivolous or unnecessary have turned out to be really nice to have. I would do it again if the situation arose.
Me too, and no regrets whatsoever.

Sometimes the particular option/color people want is not available, so they have to compromise.

Going from a 2017 AWD Touring with PEP to a 2017 AWD Grand Touring with Premium is about a $5,000 jump in price.

The heated steering wheel is nice but not available on the Touring. One has to get the GT and then if you want the HUD, you have to get the Premium Package. Like I mentioned, at that point you are about $5,000 more in price.

And worth every penny over the life of the car IMHO.

I would have loved the heated steering wheel and hud, but I could not buy anther car with full leather seats. They're awful whether it's hot or cold, they're always a hell of a lot hotter or colder than the ambient temp. My last car was a Acura MDX with full leather, I hated those seats. I decided on the touring for the cloth middle inserts, but it would have been nice to have the steering wheel and hud without full leather.

Better to take hindsights view before one purchases. Get all options before hand so no regrets later

I bet Mazda sells more Touring than GT option packages. As the Touring is in the mid $20's while the GT is pushing towards the lower to mid $30's

My AWD Touring with PEP sold for $26k, while the AWD GT with Premium was $32.5k. Add the additional taxes ($500) due to the $6,500 difference in price and one is looking at $7k additional between those 2 trim models. It all starts to add up in the end and while $7k is nothing to some people, to others it's a lot and can make or break a deal.

Ideally, sure, having all the options is best. Nobody can argue that but like anything in life. Having the best optioned house, the best optioned TV, etc. but it comes down to $$ and budget.

Last edited:
I waited a VERY long time to get the M4 I dreamed of the way I wanted it. (Turns out that when I finally got it, it wasn’t what I really wanted out of a vehicle. Bucket list item checked off though).

I can appreciate the perspective of not having the means to get a vehicle loaded.

There’s also merit in waiting until you can get it the way you want it.

Last edited:
Back