Clear Windshield Film

I had it installed on my car windshield at the same time I was getting my other windows tinted.

If you are concerned with heat and UV protection, I would definitely get it (along with tint for all other windows). IMO, it is pretty pointless to get tint on all of the other windows if you are going to leave the biggest window (windshield) with no protection.

If you are sensitive to the brightness of the light, that windshield film isn't going to do much to help. On my car, I didn't even notice anything was on the windshield after it was installed. I have the Air 70 film which is a tad darker than the one you linked to, I think.

One more note - If you wear polarized sunglasses, that windshield film will change the way some things look. It doesn't really bother me, but I can see how it could bother some people.

Last edited:
I had the 3M crystline 90 installed on the windshield and do not regret it.. you can’t tell it’s there but it blocks the UV UVB and Inferred rays.. info on 3M web site.. I also had the crystline 70 on the sunroof glass; as well as the darkest I could go for my state on the side windows.

I have photosync 70 on my windshield, blocks out a lot of heat and protects the dash. I have the HUD and when I wear my prescription Oakley sunglasses the display gets washed out. After getting the tint put on I can see the HUD much better. But yea with polarized sunglasses you get some rainbow effect at times. I've tinted my windshield on all the cars I've had so I'm pretty used to the view with sunglasses on lol

My understanding is that these films are mainly for infrared reduction/thermo reduction, not UV.
From factory, these glasses can block 98% of UV. Yes, I have tested them with an UV meter.
So, UV blocking is not the key point. You can improve it to 99.5% blockage, but what is the point of 1.5% more?
Infrared is the point. My co-worker has the 3M film on the front windshield. He loves it. Temperature inside is significantly reduced, and one hardly can tell that it is there.
Just my two cents.

I can tell mine is there as it has a bit of an orange peel effect. Not sure what brand I got right now, but with the good recommendations above, I'd go with one of those if you want to get it still. Lots of heat reduction, def needed here in SW Florida. We still put up a sun visor when we park though. Don't know why every new Mazda I've seen has pitch black dash and majority of interior.

How much are your price quotes for the windshield clear tint? I've been getting quotes like $200+, do you guys think if it's even worth it? The 3M CS lowest quote is like $275

I had a different brand installed at a local shop within a day of my purchase.
IIRC, it cost $150 in September of last year.

And yes, from my before-and-after experience with the former CX-9, it does make a huge difference.

It was 199$ here in DFW a couple years ago for the 3M something... I wear polarized glasses and never had any negative effects. It did however reduce the interior temperature, which made it worth it. Once i balance my budget, i will be getting it done again.

The photosync 70 tint I'm currently using is $400 for the windshield. I've used other brands like lunar air blue 80, 3m crystalline 70 and even huper optik 60 and those were around $200 for the windshield. The one I have now is quite expensive but does the best job blocking out the heat out of of the different brands I've used.

Suntek CXP80 on my windshield. Not as good as 3M's on paper but major difference in keeping steering wheel and dash cooler. The darker 70 for reference.

suntek-carbon-xp-(cxp)-80.jpg

Thanks guys for the quotes. I was able to get $125-$150 quotes for Suntek CIR and Rayno Air7090 this morning, which is what I am more comfortable paying for. Anyone familiar with those films for windshields or in general?

The photosync 70 tint I'm currently using is $400 for the windshield. I've used other brands like lunar air blue 80, 3m crystalline 70 and even huper optik 60 and those were around $200 for the windshield. The one I have now is quite expensive but does the best job blocking out the heat out of of the different brands I've used.

How is the clearness of each of you mentioned? The 3M CR guy told me the other cheaper films will have hazing.. I noticed you are in SoCal, where did you get your Huper Optik?

Thanks guys for the quotes. I was able to get $125-$150 quotes for Suntek CIR and Rayno Air7090 this morning, which is what I am more comfortable paying for. Anyone familiar with those films for windshields or in general?

How is the clearness of each of you mentioned? The 3M CR guy told me the other cheaper films will have hazing.. I noticed you are in SoCal, where did you get your Huper Optik?

The tint I have on my car now is crystal clear. The only one I had issue with was lunar air blue which gave this orange peel effect at certain angles. As for huper I got it at song's tint in ktown. I didn't like that film as much because the heat rejection was not as great as people claimed it to be.

Back