Buying used out-of-state?

Desertsp

:
TBD
Pretty sure Im going to pull the trigger on a 2014-2015 Touring or GT AWD!!!

Today I took a 2016 for a test drive and loved it - really nice and solid car. That one was too expensive and not my favorite color, but was definitely a really nice car. While I dont have an exact budget, around $15-16k would be best.

I found only four listings that match those criteria (including color) and are within a days drive. None local.

So my question is, how do I go about negotiating these cars? Are they going to take me for a ride once they find out Im willing to drive 8+ hours for their car?

Ill share links if anyones interested.

Thanks!

My gripe with out of state purchases is you have already invested a lot of time (time = money) in the deal. Its really risky. For e.g. in DFW you have a couple of dealers that are 2-3K below market for similar mileage cars, but I know for sure that they are cars in accident. Repaired in a questionable fashion. A new comer in this market would buy those thinking great deal.

Also, with used - you really have a 500 to 1000 dollar limit max on negotiation, if you are getting bigger discount the demand is not there for the model. I would do this:
1. Set your budget, maybe save up a bit more.
2. Secure financing if needed before hand using a credit union(used dealers rip people off. more than 20% interest rate)
3. Find a good local independent mechanic or ask a Mazda mechanic if he can spend 30 mins on a weekend - most dealers close on Sunday.
4. Try to seek local, assuming you are in a bigger market you will find a good one - be patient.

If you cannot do 3 - learn about the models and the TSBs for those models. Negotiate as best as you can over email / phone. Reveal you are out of town as late as possible in the deal. Look out for telltale signs of an accident - front rear collision.

Another trick I used was not haggle on price but get a good accessory added on. My yota dealer added dimming rear mirror matching my price. My advice is if you cannot take it to a mechanic - avoid shady places and go to dealerships.
Good luck - 13 and 14 have an engine upgrade from 2.0L to 2.5L - both are great engines, just different results. If you want less fuel thirsty - try the 2.0L it was first introduced in 2012 Mazda3 as skyactiv. 2.5L was on all mazda cx5s sold later, so you probably drove that. Good on fuel but much better on merging capabilities.

Pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger on a 2014-2015 Touring or GT AWD!!!

Today I took a 2016 for a test drive and loved it - really nice and solid car. That one was too expensive and not my favorite color, but was definitely a really nice car. While I don’t have an exact budget, around $15-16k would be best.

I found only four listings that match those criteria (including color) and are within a day’s drive. None local.

So my question is, how do I go about negotiating these cars? Are they going to take me for a ride once they find out I’m willing to drive 8+ hours for their car?

I’ll share links if anyone’s interested.

Thanks!

I bought cross state once. Spent all day beating them up on the phone and sending pix back and forth. The deal went off just fine when I got there. Took 20 minutes to look the vehicle over, it was as described (and better, actually, having some features I was told it didn't!), and noone tried any BS. All the numbers were as agreed, and the paperwork was over with fast.

Sample of one.

My wife purchased her Miata out of state. Did all negotiating over phone. Got the price she wanted and out a deposit down with a credit card. If it wasnt as good as described cc company would refund.

It was exactly as described. Dealer even picked me up at airport. The only thing is that they would not take a check or cc for purchase. Had to wire money. Thst toolk the bank a few hours while i waited. Dealer would not take that much cash either.

What city are you in? The people on this Mazda forum are crazy. We'll find you a car. :D

Pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger on a 2014-2015 Touring or GT AWD!!!

Today I took a 2016 for a test drive and loved it - really nice and solid car. That one was too expensive and not my favorite color, but was definitely a really nice car. While I don’t have an exact budget, around $15-16k would be best.

I found only four listings that match those criteria (including color) and are within a day’s drive. None local.

So my question is, how do I go about negotiating these cars? Are they going to take me for a ride once they find out I’m willing to drive 8+ hours for their car?

I’ll share links if anyone’s interested.

Thanks!

Just an FYI, for USA, the 2014/2015 will be different than the 2016 that you test drove. On the 2014/15 there is no Mazda Connect infotainment system, there is no commander knob, and the driving experience will be a touch noisier and less refined.

As far as buying out of state, it can be a headache, or it can turn into a nice vacation... I have even flown one way to buy a car, and ended up not buying the car due to untruthful used car dealer, and then doing a one way rental car to drive all the way back home...

Last edited:
Just an FYI, for USA, the 2014/2015 will be different than the 2016 that you test drove. On the 2014/15 there is no Mazda Connect infotainment system, there is no commander knob, and the driving experience will be a touch noisier and less refined.

As far as buying out of state, it can be a headache, or it can turn into a nice vacation... I have even flown one way to buy a car, and ended up not buying the car due to untruthful used car dealer, and then doing a one way rental car to drive all the way back home...

I'd love a 2016, but probably outside my price range unless it has been in an accident or something. I'll keep my eyes opened though.

I don't know what happened, but it looks like my post describing the exact specs I'm looking for and my location is gone.

Is that prohibited on this forum?

Anyways, I'm looking for a Sky Blue Mica with AWD and the 2.5 engine. I live in southern Wisconsin.

I don't know what happened, but it looks like my post describing the exact specs I'm looking for and my location is gone.

Anyways, I'm looking for a Sky Blue Mica with AWD and the 2.5 engine. I live in southern Wisconsin.

No I dont think so.

It's easy enough to compose your post and forget to click "post".
Don't ask me how I know :)

I bought one seven hours away once, and it was no problem whatsoever.
Just make sure you've negotiated everything beforehand.
And bring your lucky rabbit's foot.

Missed the Blue. Accidents, in general, don't make me nervous but the fact that it was sold right after that does.

Check your state laws. In WA you cannot register a car that is not certified for CA emissions when it was new. If it wasn't, there is nothing you can do to it to make it registerable.

Check your state laws. In WA you cannot register a car that is not certified for CA emissions when it was new. If it wasn't, there is nothing you can do to it to make it registerable.

Don't most motor vehicles conform to those standards now?

Looks like anything 2008 and older or even with more than 7500 mile does not apply.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/cleancar.html

Exempt vehicles
The following types of vehicles aren't required to be certified to California emission standards:

2008 or earlier vehicle models.
Passenger vans and buses with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) greater than 10,000.
Heavy-duty cargo vans and trucks with a GVWR greater than 8,500.
Previously-registered vehicles with more than 7,500 miles at the time of sale.
Vehicles purchased by a nonresident before establishing residency in the state of Washington, regardless of the mileage on the vehicle.
Vehicles transferred by inheritance or as a result of divorce, dissolution, or legal separation.
Vehicles acquired and used by Washington residents while they were members of the armed services stationed outside of Washington on military orders.
Vehicles to be registered and used only outside the state of Washington.
Vehicles only available for rent to a final destination outside of Washington.
Military tactical vehicles.
Emergency vehicles, if the public safety agency has demonstrated to the Department of Ecology's satisfaction that there isn't a California emissions-certified vehicle available to meet the agency's needs.

I have enough stress in my life that I can't control so I will not add by stressing over a car buy out-of-state. Ed

I've only bought one vehicle out of state. Back in late 2006 when the V36 G35 came out the two dealers at the time in Western Washington would not come off of MSRP. I emailed a bunch of dealers in California and the one in Fairfield let me custom order one from Japan for invoice. It was about $700 to truck it up to WA state and it was taxed at my local sale tax rate that was around 1.5% less than what the local dealer would have charged. All-in-all I saved almost $4k IIRC going this route versus what the local dealer was willing to sell me the vehicle for.

I've done this many times. I live in Rust country. I figured out long ago that I could get a lot more car out of state. As others have said, ask all your questions, get pictures, and make your deal first, then go get the car. I even had a dealer in MA sell me a car and then hire me for $1.00 to deliver it to my home. That way he could put dealer plates on it and send me home.

Back