2017~2024 Warm Up Time And Cold Temp Indicator

This morning my daughter was getting ready to hit the road in her 2019 CX-5 at 9am, with the ambient temp at -2F. With all of the CD-related $hit coming from Mazda over the past couple of years, I'm always monitoring for anything unusual happening with our vehicles. So I naturally wanted to find out what a start that cold would produce. Although it might go down to -15F every 10 years or so, -2 is about as cold as it gets for us in a normal year at 9am.

So when I hit the button, it cranked 4 times - not surprisingly quite a bit slower than normal, but then fired right up with no sputtering or any other issue. The engine immediately went to 1800 rpm, and stayed there for around 30 seconds. Then after the 30 seconds, the rpm started to very slowly drop, and eventually went under 1000 after a couple of minutes. I was very happy to hear no unusual noise during that entire time, and the engine sounded fine at all rpms.

Startup on any day that's not excessively cold is normally 1200 rpm, with a fairly quick (i.e. 10-15 second) drop down under 1000 rpm. This leads me to believe that, by doing something 'extra', the engineers who were involved in the operational design, believed that excessively cold weather may be potentially harmful to the engine. And so they programmed in a much more significant warmup cycle (for those who are willing to wait it out).

Personally, I'm on board with their message, and have previously reminded the ladies in the house multiple times, to let our vehicles warm up longer when the weather is colder, and to always take it easy for the first 5 minutes on the road as well. JMO, FWIW, based strictly on gut feel.

The engine immediately went to 1800 rpm, and stayed there for aisround 30 seconds. Then after the 30 seconds, the rpm started to very slowly drop,
That's more or less consistent with my vehicle. 1800 RPM was the starting point today in my below freezing garage. Here's the thing. It does this in warmer weather too. And regardless of how long it idles, even just a few seconds, and regardless of the temp, putting it in gear drops the RPMs immediately to as low as 750. I consider this normal. -2 F? A little longer than 10 seconds might be prudent. 20 some degrees in the garage today? Meh. 10 seconds is enough.

It could be worse. Years ago my BMW 320i manual trans froze up in -20 F parked on the street. After a minute or two of warm up I could jam it into first. Limped around the block before it loosened up enough to get it into second. None the worse for wear, though. ;) Didn't have any trans or clutch issues before getting rid of it.

Back