2017~2024 Warm Up Time And Cold Temp Indicator

Thanks for the input everyone. I did notice this motor is fairly loud, probably the loudest I'm owned at startup with the exception of a V8 which is a loud low rumble. This car seems almost rattly for the first 15 or so seconds until what I believe someone referred to as what I think is the oxygen sensor warming up, I think??

Thanks for the input everyone. I did notice this motor is fairly loud, probably the loudest I'm owned at startup with the exception of a V8 which is a loud low rumble. This car seems almost rattly for the first 15 or so seconds until what I believe someone referred to as what I think is the oxygen sensor warming up, I think??

To me it's more like the choke pull out button of yesteryear. You start the vehicle up, pull the choke button out, vehicle idles higher than normal until warmed up then push choke button back in and idle returns to normal.

When catalyst is cold, the valve, ignition and fuel timing is altered so the raw fuel can enter the catalytic converter for the fastest possible warm-up. The engine sounds rough as the result.

That is found under "common sense" perhaps, but not in the manual.

My manual says After starting the engine, let it idle for about ten seconds.
and Avoid long warm-ups. Once the engine runs smoothly, begin driving.

Nothing about not driving "hard" when cold [except to save fuel].

The problem for me is, after driving a V6 Acura for 18 years, this engine never feels like it is running smoothly at idle ;)

And at higher rpm.

Only, not and, in my case. Mine never sounds "rough". It's nice and steady and even, just running at like 1.2K RPM's. Like the last 5 cars I've owned.
I'll pay closer attention, but rough isn't a term I'd use.

Only, not and, in my case. Mine never sounds "rough". It's nice and steady and even, just running at like 1.2K RPM's. Like the last 5 cars I've owned.

A big 4 has more intrinsic vibration than many other engines, but it's not "rough". At least mine isn't.

Correct. It's just loud

You mean this?

Attachments

• Engine Idle speed increase to around 1,800 rpm and unusual engine noise after starting a cold en.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 899
Engine at cold start up sits just over 1000-1200rpm from memory then settles down to normal at around 750rpm. During warm up stage, engine is a bit louder than normal

Have you got one of those for petrol?

I cant just find it but its virtually the same. Like X8 says, the revs might be slightly lower.

Edit, found one on the web......

Attachments

• DownloadPdf.pdf
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,058
Last edited:
I just wait for the rev to go to idle before I take off. I certainly wouldnt go hard on the engine while in a cold state

If it's what I have been saying then it really isn't an issue unless one's CX-5 is shaking badly at the same time.

Last edited:
I can’t just find it but it’s virtually the same. Like X8 says, the revs might be slightly lower.

Thanks for finding that. Raises two questions for me:
1- what is the ignition source for this burning in the manifold?
2- is the exhaust manifold necessarily heavier to stand up to this combustion?

I can’t just find it but it’s virtually the same. Like X8 says, the revs might be slightly lower.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Just seems coming from a quieter Acura, that this car is much louder. Almost like a rattly old muffler sound, I believe it's because it's a fairly large displacement 4 cylinder engine or at least that's what I gather from reading opinions/and whatnot.

The interesting thing I’ve noticed is if the engine hasn’t fully warmed up yet and the heat is on full, the engine temperature actually drops back down while idling.

But that’s because the heat is actually delivered from hot radiators and makes sense if it cools down.

For 2020 North America CX-5, the manual simply states:

"8. After starting the engine, let it idle for about 10 seconds," applicable to all engines. See page 4-8.

This is pretty much SOP for modern engines. Start, put on shoulder harness, adjust climate control, adjust radio, adjust seat if necessary, good to go.

Avoiding long warm-ups is repeated from previous manuals, but it's to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, not an engine protective measure. See page 3-51:

"How you operate your Mazda determines
how far it will travel on a tank of fuel. Use
these suggestions to help save fuel and
reduce CO2.

 Avoid long warm-ups. Once the engine
runs smoothly, begin driving."

In my 2020 2.5L non-turbo, idle at start-up revs a little high as others have observed in prior year models, which I take to be normal, then drops a bit when put in gear. The interesting thing that I did not notice anybody else observe is that it doesn't matter if I wait a couple of seconds or a minute, the revs drop as soon as I put it in gear. I take this to be normal.

It should be no inconvenience to follow conventional wisdom--let the engine warm up before zoom-zooming.

As an aside, I use the blue indicator light going off as my signal to jack up the temp and fan speed on the climate control in winter. At that point it will start blowing warm air. That happens a lot faster than in my previous vehicles going back a long way perhaps because those others were V6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back