2017~2024 Warm Up Time And Cold Temp Indicator

:
2018 Mazda CX-5
Ok, so I grew up with an old school family that has always warmed up their cars before taking off. But I've noticed that the CX-5 is the first car that actually has a temp indicator and also the one vehicle that mentions in the manual that the car should not be driven until the temp (thermometer) light/indicator goes off and the engine is at operating temperature. Is it necessary to sit there and wait for the car to warm up before taking off?(uhm)there are many times when you just need to go!!

From the 18 owner's manual page 121 of 168: "Avoid long warm-ups. Once the engine
runs smoothly, begin driving."

mentions in the manual that the car should not be driven until the temp (thermometer) light/indicator goes off and the engine is at operating temperature.

Say what now?

I typically get in, start her up, put my seat belt on and adjust the mirrors if the wife was driving previously then take off. Keeping the revs low and heater off until the engine reaches OT.

Re-read your manual. The car should not be driven hard before the light goes off. It goes off at 62C or 144F. Operational temperature is about 85C or 185F.

I let mine run for around 30 seconds or so before moving. If the blue light is on just take it easy. I’ve done that on all my vehicles. If the temp is below freezing outside the give it a minute.

I see you are in Sacramento. You won’t have any cold start issues.

the one vehicle that mentions in the manual that the car should not be driven until the temp (thermometer) light/indicator goes off and the engine is at operating temperature.

Nope. Better do this again (RTM).

As soon as the rough idle (warming of the cat conv) goes away I drive off. I doubt very much the manual says wait for the blue light to go off, maybe don't redline it until the light goes off.

Ok, so I grew up with an old school family that has always warmed up their cars before taking off. But I've noticed that the CX-5 is the first car that actually has a temp indicator and also the one vehicle that mentions in the manual that the car should not be driven until the temp (thermometer) light/indicator goes off and the engine is at operating temperature. Is it necessary to sit there and wait for the car to warm up before taking off?(uhm)there are many times when you just need to go!!

You can drive the car when the blue indicator light is on but gently. Goes off after a few minutes.

If you start your car in the winter and burn rubber with a cold engine then don’t wonder why when your car starts to use oil later on.

I'm suspicious. Please post evidence to back up this claim.

He is correct. Keyword is driven hard
That is found under "common sense" perhaps, but not in the manual.

My manual says After starting the engine, let it idle for about ten seconds.
and Avoid long warm-ups. Once the engine runs smoothly, begin driving.

Nothing about not driving "hard" when cold [except to save fuel].

The blue light will still be on for more than 10 seconds. So "common sense" approach is to take it easy until the blue light extinguishes.

If it's cold out this blue light will be on for a few miles, just get in and drive. It's an idiot light temperature gauge. The only time you have to worry is if it comes on red.

He is correct. Keyword is driven hard

Oops I quoted the wrong person... I meant to quote the OP where he said the manual states not to drive it until the light goes off. That's the claim I'm suspicious of, not yugrus's post :)

That is found under "common sense" perhaps, but not in the manual.

My manual says After starting the engine, let it idle for about ten seconds.
and Avoid long warm-ups. Once the engine runs smoothly, begin driving.

Nothing about not driving "hard" when cold [except to save fuel].

I don't have it in front of me but I believe the section in my 2014 manual advocates driving "gently" (or similar wording) while the blue light is on.

Entirely possible they changed this at some point.

My RPMs never go beyond 2000 till blue light goes off. My speed hits 40 max. Its just my commute that starts easy. It is good for gas and also good for less wear and tear on your engine. Recently read about Skyactiv issue on TTAC where it was drinking oil - a quart every 3k miles - so I want to make sure I treat it nice and gently. CX5 will be in my house till 100-120K - I really want to sell it to a good 2nd home for another 100K miles. That is my expectation, anything major under 150K miles in repair will be a disappointment.

I have stopped manually downshifting to replace it as braking.
I always use the parking break before shifting it out and putting it in Park.
And never speed up when its cold, specially winters. Sometimes I will sit and let the defroster work its way.
Only use moly - settled at 8000 miles per change, I could do 10K easily but just being cautious.
I drive enough for avoiding any build issues with DI. Occasionally rev it high.

A big indicator for me is mpg. If its reading good - i feel alright.

I don't have it in front of me but I believe the section in my 2014 manual advocates driving "gently" (or similar wording) while the blue light is on.

Entirely possible they changed this at some point.

Pretty much applies to later models too

Back