text messaging question (2017 GT)

STLpilot

:
2017 CX5 GT FWD
I'm aware of Mazda's website where the phone compatabilities are listed for each phone type. Do you guys know if updating the software would fix my issue? I'm able to receive text messages but I cannot reply back. I'm using an iPhone SE and an iPhone 6.

I'm surprised you receive your texts at all(dunno)it's my understanding that iPhones won't even work with the voice to text system. Makes me almost get rid of mine! Maybe someone else will answer this for both of us, since I can't get mine to do anything other than calls via blutooth.

how can you receive messages?
when I press the button and tell my car to text someone it gets confused. I have to say "hey siri, etc..." and text through my phone instead even though it goes through the crappy speaker system and never translates my voice to text correctly.
i'd like to know how to receive them and have them read it back to me or display it on screen though

how can you receive messages?
when I press the button and tell my car to text someone it gets confused. I have to say "hey siri, etc..." and text through my phone instead even though it goes through the crappy speaker system and never translates my voice to text correctly.
i'd like to know how to receive them and have them read it back to me or display it on screen though

Assuming your car is already connected to your phone's bluethooth:
Go into your phone's bluetooth settings. Look for the connection for your car. Hit the 'i'. Turn on 'Show Notifications'.

To answer the OP - if you want to reply to texts, you have to either use the 'Hey Siri' command, long press the home button on your phone, or wait for Apple CarPlay in the fall

From memory, you can only reply back with standard pre-defined responses and that is it.

Check what version of the software you have in the car.

Do you know if within a text message you can just click the mic icon and use the voice to text function. I'm thinking about buying a CX-5 want to make sure I can do this until CarPlay is available.

The mic icon on the phone? Of course you can. This has nothing to do with the car.
But you cannot use the voice activation on the steering wheel to send texts though. Which sucks.

Do you know if within a text message you can just click the mic icon and use the voice to text function. I'm thinking about buying a CX-5 want to make sure I can do this until CarPlay is available.

The mic icon on the phone? Of course you can. This has nothing to do with the car.
But you cannot use the voice activation on the steering wheel to send texts though. Which sucks.

AFAIK you can only do use preselected texts back and nothing else.

Happy to be corrected though.

Through the Headunit, no you are not wrong. #dumb Requires you taking your eyes off the road more then being able to hit that button and reply would be.

Thanks, I was able to do that with my Terrain, but it would trigger some glitch keeping the radio on even after I removed the key and opened the door. It would only turn off after it killed the battery, then I had to have AAA come and jump the car. I don't want to deal with that again.

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT and I always have my IPhone 6S plugged in and I never get a text message indicator on the head unit. FYI.

it worked for me, clownshoes2. you just need to enable notifications on your phone settings first. it doesn't need to be plugged in, works over BT.

Well, colour me pink....I adjusted the settings, we'll see how it goes tonight when I get home.

Back