text messaging question (2017 GT)

It's one thing that has always kinda bugged me about the text message system in the CX-5. I can receive the texts no problem, if I'm stopped, the message will be displayed, if I'm moving it asks if I want it read to me. But there is no way to respond or call the person from the text. When I go into settings in the car I see the list of preset responses but I have never been able to access them from the text screen or send them. I also see the little icon for call the person but it's always been greyed out. Is this normal?

It's one thing that has always kinda bugged me about the text message system in the CX-5. I can receive the texts no problem, if I'm stopped, the message will be displayed, if I'm moving it asks if I want it read to me. But there is no way to respond or call the person from the text. When I go into settings in the car I see the list of preset responses but I have never been able to access them from the text screen or send them. I also see the little icon for call the person but it's always been greyed out. Is this normal?

If you have an iPhone, you can't reply. Apple doesn't allow it.

You can't reply a such but from memory there are set response as you can select. They are limited

Siri works fine through the head unit so if you use 'hey siri' or long click the home button, you can use the siri commands to send a text message by voice.

Not an Apple limitation. I could reply to texts in my Ford with the Sync system.

The only way i have ever seen to do this is via Siri. This is what other car forums for other brands say as well. I am not sure how Ford could do this if not using Siri.

Siri works fine through the head unit so if you use 'hey siri' or long click the home button, you can use the siri commands to send a text message by voice.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! That's the info I was looking for. This will hold me over until ACP is released.

Are there any updates on this?

I have a 2019, but I rarely take the time to connect to CarPlay. (In fact, I keep a plug in my iPhone lightning connector to keep out dirt.) I was able to get a text message via Bluetooth while driving today, but when I tried using Hey Siri, it seemed to react as if I was calling myself and wouldn't understand "send a message". I have my phone set to only go into Do Not Disturb mode manually, so that wasn't it.

Do I need to use the car's Info button to get Siri to understand commands after the initial "Hey Siri"?

Last edited:
Do I need to use the car's Info button to get Siri to understand commands after the initial "Hey Siri"?

Not sure if I'm understanding properly, but if your phone isn't connected to CarPlay pressing buttons on the car won't activate Siri... you would be hearing the Mazda voice controls (which suck). You can only invoke Siri from the steering wheel buttons when CarPlay is active. Otherwise you could just say "Hey Siri" verbally to activate Siri directly on your phone.

Not sure if I'm understanding properly, but if your phone isn't connected to CarPlay pressing buttons on the car won't activate Siri... you would be hearing the Mazda voice controls (which suck). You can only invoke Siri from the steering wheel buttons when CarPlay is active. Otherwise you could just say "Hey Siri" verbally to activate Siri directly on your phone.

I don*t have CarPlay. And if you plug your iPhone into one of the USB ports and press the voice button and say hey Siri it will work that way also. I use it all the time.

I use hey Siri all the time. No apple carplay. Phone NOT hooked up with a USB cable. Since my phone is connected through Bluetooth to the car, all Siri's responses come through the infotainment system on the car. You can't text anyone through the car but you can invoke Siri and send a text message through the infotainment that way.

Somehow, I missed seeing that there were responses, so thanks for the answers.

My next test will have Siri disabled on my watch. Previously, I*d have problems not involving the car with Siri trying to activate on multiple devices or picking the wrong one. But I just don*t get that many texts while driving for it to be a huge issue for me.

Back