2017 Touring to 2018 Grand Touring

Adguy21

:
2019 CX-5 GT Reserve Soul Red
I just traded my 3 month old Touring for a Grand Touring. I was in for service and the dealer "made me an offer I could not refuse". Could not be happier with my choice.

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Wow, that's a quick flip after 3 months. If you don't mind me asking, why did you want to change trim levels in just 3 months and how much did you lose in the sale of the 2017?

No matter how sweet the deal is, I still wouldn't give up a 2017 for a 2018 only because the cylinder deactivation, and I always plan to keep my new vehicle forever.

So what was the deciding factor? Price? Features? Don't leave us hanging...

That's why I buy fully loaded model to begin with so I don't get buyers remorse later on so probably for OP moving from touring to the gt for the extra goodies.

As I like to say: No one ever regrets getting a GT. ;)

Yrwie, dude, give it a rest. In 5 years when these cars all need new engines because of Cyl Deac then you can gloat.

yrwei would go nuts if OP said the main deciding factor was cylinder deactivation LOL
Well, Id do it with a deal couldnt refuse if I only keep a new vehicle for 4~5 years like most people do in the US. ;)

yrwei would go nuts if OP said the main deciding factor was cylinder deactivation LOL

LOL I would NEVER for cylinder deactivation! To me it's like 2 different cars. The real leather, HUD, I-active Assist, front led design, rear led taillights, heated steering wheel...I feel like I'm driving a completely different car (more refined). Also, my touring had the 17" rims on it which I always hated. So instead of spending $1,500 - $2,000 on rims I am only paying an extra $35 a month (lease) and I get a wealth of options.

Ah, a lease.

Well you get lot's of little refinements which are nice. Auto up/down for all windows for example. All those little features sure do add up if you are into those sorts of things.

Enjoy the new ride!

Also if you see the photos I attached I went from red to white. To me the white is so much cleaner and goes well with the darker rims. The red you would look at it the wrong way and it would swirl, chip etc...very high maintenance.

I went from a 2016 Cx5 touring to a 2017 grand touring and the difference between those models is night and day. At least the 17 touring and 18 touring are very similar. Definitely not the case for the 16 touring vs the 17 touring. As much as I loved my 2016 for the first couple months (not a 2016.5), ive never been more in love with a car now in my 17 GT. My only regret is not being able to find one with the premium package

I personally would want a vehicle lasting forever hence the reliability is the number one thing to me. Like a member has said in another thread, “I find it very exciting that we’ll have a compact CUV in this segment that has over 200 horsepower, naturally aspirated, doesn't need SPCCI, doesn't need a turbo, doesn’t need a cylinder deactivation, doesn’t use a CVT but uses an 8 speed step-automatic.”

Improving thermal efficiency on an ICE for more power and fuel efficiency is the way to go.

In fact that’s the reason why I bought a CX-5 in 2015 although the maximum horsepower had not reached to 200 yet.

Now, turbo’s, super chargers, CVT’s can be improved by better quality parts on longevity as the meatrial technology improves, but cylinder deactivation is the one can’t be improved on long-term reliability from any efforts due to the natural of design. Variable displacement automobile engine technology on cylinder deactivation simply doesn’t make sense for longevity.

Last edited:
Speaking of cylinder deactivation - what's the easiest way to tell it's being deactivated or activated depending on how you look at it? One thing I noticed with my '18 CX-5 is it'll sometimes drop to a very low RPM and almost give a 'rumble' effect. Like it's struggling for air. This tends to happen if I let off the gas and engage it lightly.

I personally would want a vehicle lasting forever hence the reliability is the number one thing to me. Like a member has said in another thread, “I find it very exciting that we’ll have a compact CUV in this segment that has over 200 horsepower, naturally aspirated, doesn't need SPCCI, doesn't need a turbo, doesn’t need a cylinder deactivation, doesn’t use a CVT but uses an 8 speed step-automatic.”

Improving thermal efficiency on an ICE for more power and fuel efficiency is the way to go.

In fact that’s the reason why I bought a CX-5 in 2015 although the maximum horsepower had not reached to 200 yet.

Now, turbo’s, super chargers, CVT’s can be improved by better quality parts on longevity as the meatrial technology improves, but cylinder deactivation is the one can’t be improved on long-term reliability from any efforts due to the natural of design. Variable displacement automobile engine technology on cylinder deactivation simply doesn’t make sense for longevity.

Good god man. Let the OP enjoy his new ride LOL. It's a lease so this doesn't even matter in this thread.

17 Touring (colors other than white / red / grey) with Pep is the zenith of CX5. Perfect trim, best bang for buck. Now that I paid attention to the wheels the 19s look uglier, 17s look so classy.

Back