Mazda5 Lifespan

My 2007 Mazda 5 (purchased in 2012 with 68,000 miles) is going strong at 168,000 miles. Living in PA generally means extra care to make up for the winter pot holes, but other than that its been great!

My 2007 Mazda 5 (purchased in 2012 with 68,000 miles) is going strong at 168,000 miles. Living in PA generally means extra care to make up for the winter pot holes, but other than that it*s been great!

If my 2012 (107K now, owned since new), makes it to 168K without trans/motor problems, I will go kiss Caitlyn Jenner between her legs.

If my 2012 (107K now, owned since new), makes it to 168K without trans/motor problems, I will go kiss Caitlyn Jenner between her legs.
168K - that is a very specific number... If you've tolerated the car for this long, you can tolerate it longer. I think we feel the same way about this car, a love-hate relationship with it. Love the idea what it can/should be (affordable, quality, compact MAV) but hate what it actually is (not very fuel efficient, cramp, low material quality)* but hey, no car is going to check all boxes... Look forward to your 200K update ;D

You are my smarter better looking twin :D

168K - that is a very specific number... If you've tolerated the car for this long, you can tolerate it longer. I think we feel the same way about this car, a love-hate relationship with it. Love the idea what it can/should be (affordable, quality, compact MAV) but hate what it actually is (not very fuel efficient, cramp, low material quality)* but hey, no car is going to check all boxes... Look forward to your 200K update ;D

Over 190k now
No signs of stopping

2009 Mazda5 Sport AT
Purchased spanking new $12500 with C4C trade in

Most reliable car Ive ever owned. Up in the top 5 cars that Ive owned for fun, reliability, cost effectiveness,usability.. including many VW / Audi / Porsche products

6c164bf24ab52c6d77eba2c5bc6f0545.jpg

91d242a16ea854fc5d53f705e4f6c245.jpg

Last edited:
2006 Mazda 5 (5 Speed Manual) bought it in June this year with about 150,000 km on it now (~93,000 miles) and going strong so far. I know the last owner put new rear shocks on it and it used to burn a little bit of oil before I switched it to synthetic. Only thing wrong with it right now is that I need to install a new thermostat to fix a engine light. Only reason that hasn't been done is I'm a bit scared to do it myself :p.

I'm at 187,000 miles in my '06 5 now. Haven't put many miles on it in since March 2020, like so many people. 4 speed auto tranny is still rock solid, and I'll be doing yet another drain/fill with Maxlife ATF this year.

Last edited:
We're at 223,000km on our 2013 — bought it used with 56,000km back in 2015. Van has been paid off, so I'm planning to drive the thing into the ground! No major issues to report of. Most of my money has gone into maintaining brakes and suspension.

The van is currently throwing a couple of evap leak codes which I will address in the next couple of weeks — new gas cap didn't solve it. Gotta check the two purge valves to see if either of those are the culprit. Also threw a p061b the other day and went into a limp mode on the highway. Totally thought the van was toast. Turns out it was a large piece of paper that got sucked into the air filter box. 😅

The van is currently throwing a couple of evap leak codes which I will address in the next couple of weeks — new gas cap didn't solve it. ...
If it is p0442 or p0456, the canister vent solenoid is likely failed. It is under the car next to the gas tank. Avoid the failure by not overfilling the tank.

T
If it is p0442 or p0456, the canister vent solenoid is likely failed. It is under the car next to the gas tank. Avoid the failure by not overfilling the tank.
Thanks — that's what I'm suspecting. I've got the p0442 and p0455 codes. p0455 being a gross leak vs the p0456's small leak. Gonna order both parts to have them on hand, figure out which is faulty, and replace as needed.

I find myself upside down in my 2012 Mazda5, financially not literally. Anyway, I typically drive my cars into the higher mileages. 240,000 mile Accord, 243,000 mile Corolla, 197,000 F-150, etc. Since I still owe a healthy amount on the Mazda, I was curious. How long do these cars typically last? Mine is the 2.5L automatic. The motor runs great, but the transmission has always been junk. Financially, I really need this car to last another 100,000 miles. That would put me at 220,000 miles. Is this possible/probable? Where are yall at mileage-wise?
I, too, have a 2012, although mine has the 6MT. It just hit 70K a couple of weeks ago. I did the rear shocks last week and just got a set of fresh KYBs for the front today; RockAuto canceled my order and I found them at CarID for less, shipped directly from KYB’s warehouse in Indiana. Given how few problems this car has had I can see it easily going 250K easily with regular maintenance. In my case that really doesn’t matter since I plan on keeping it forever.

Like a few others I do have the usual P0455 Evap code, and eventually I’ll get around to fixing it, but in the meantime I have a little $25 gauge thingy plugged into the OBD2 port (I like to know my coolant temp) and so I just reset the light whenever it pops up. I’ve used this technique to get through the inspection process and it hasn’t failed me yet.

haven't posted here for a long time now... Still got my 2012 6MT. After years of 140 miles/day highway commute, it's at 210K miles now. Engine and transmission still going smoothly. It's a shame to admit - I forgot about spark plugs, even though I've been very good with oil change and other maintenance. Just put in a set of NGK iridium, and wow I should've done this the first week I bought the car :) I didn't remember the engine revving this smooth up to red line. Nothing breaks. Clutch is still great, and it doesn't even need an alignment yet. California's weather is definitely a positive factor here, but my commute traffic is pretty awful I'm surprised the clutch holds together this long.
Road noise is the biggest negative of this car. Put in a lot of dynamat type of dampening patches and lined most of the floor with yoga mats and MLV. The improvement was more obvious in the back, but up front noise still gets in through the firewall. I'm on the 4th set of tires, Michelin Primacy, much quieter than the other 3 - stock Bridgestone, Pirelli P7, and Yokohama YK580. Handles fine too, a bit softer sidewall than the P7 but not mushy. These tires made the most improvement in reducing road noise for this car.
Overall I love this car. Handles great, tons of space, and so reliable.
Your comments are pretty much mine for my 09 automatic though it only has 80k, in Texas weather. First AC service was last year, needed about 1/3 charge. Road noise is tiring, but at least it's not wind noise. Just starting to have rear suspension rattles (some good threads in this forum on bushings --18 in the rear suspension -- and alignment and sound deadening).
Did you get close to 210K on original spark plugs?

My 2015 5 is now at 74k miles. I got it one and a half year ago at 70k miles. Working from home will make sure it dies with age first, not mileage.

My last car (96 accord) was donated at 195k miles, only after 65k miles driven for 17 yrs since I got it.

Back