Mazda5 Lifespan

:
2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport
I find myself upside down in my 2012 Mazda5, financially not literally. Anyway, I typically drive my cars into the higher mileages. 240,000 mile Accord, 243,000 mile Corolla, 197,000 F-150, etc. Since I still owe a healthy amount on the Mazda, I was curious. How long do these cars typically last? Mine is the 2.5L automatic. The motor runs great, but the transmission has always been junk. Financially, I really need this car to last another 100,000 miles. That would put me at 220,000 miles. Is this possible/probable? Where are yall at mileage-wise?

Last edited:
I bought my 2012 new in June 2011. Paid off in 2013.

Turned 95k miles
Total spent on maintenance in that time frame ($2403.70)

I plan to keep her till 150k Miles.

I have heard of 196k highest so far on 2012-2015 model mazda5

Comes down to how many miles you put on per year. Guessing you are at 120K after 6 years so 20k/year. At this rate, you'll hit 100K in 5 years. This car is not great on gas. IF you taking on a ton of HWY miles, this would not be a top pick.

220K is doable, with the trans being the weakest link. You will likely want (not necessarily need) to refresh components on your way to 200K+. The For'zda era cars are not know to be reliable, per say. You just need to keep up with maintenance and are somewhat car literate to pick-up some of the DIY stuff.

I bought my 2009, in 2010 with 18k on it. I just rolled it to 223k, and its still going strong minus a few small hiccups.

Currently the TCM is on the frtiz, and I am dealing w/ some coolant issues that the dealership refuses to deal with, and Mazda Corporate has not been of any help. So local garage or do it myself.

haven't posted here for a long time now... Still got my 2012 6MT. After years of 140 miles/day highway commute, it's at 210K miles now. Engine and transmission still going smoothly. It's a shame to admit - I forgot about spark plugs, even though I've been very good with oil change and other maintenance. Just put in a set of NGK iridium, and wow I should've done this the first week I bought the car :) I didn't remember the engine revving this smooth up to red line. Nothing breaks. Clutch is still great, and it doesn't even need an alignment yet. California's weather is definitely a positive factor here, but my commute traffic is pretty awful I'm surprised the clutch holds together this long.
Road noise is the biggest negative of this car. Put in a lot of dynamat type of dampening patches and lined most of the floor with yoga mats and MLV. The improvement was more obvious in the back, but up front noise still gets in through the firewall. I'm on the 4th set of tires, Michelin Primacy, much quieter than the other 3 - stock Bridgestone, Pirelli P7, and Yokohama YK580. Handles fine too, a bit softer sidewall than the P7 but not mushy. These tires made the most improvement in reducing road noise for this car.
Overall I love this car. Handles great, tons of space, and so reliable.

^^^

Same here Michelin primacy (pricey but fantastic) is what I run on 3 non sports cars in the garage. It*s my biggest expense on the mazda5 in 225 width 18s but am very happy with it

Agree with you how noisy it is

152k miles on my 2006 now and mechanically as sounds as when i bought it 5 years ago with 67k. Doing 30k annually now with a longer highway daily commute so i'll probably hit 200k in 2 years. I do an annual tranny drain/fill every fall with maxlife atf, and switched to full synthetic oil to extend my OCI's once i started doing this longer commute in mid-2017.

i average about 28 mpg on my commute, which is way better than any other wheelchair friendly vehicle i know of.

I'm at 220K, needs front end work every 50K or so. Otherwise it sounds like it'll run forever. Tranny was super tight right up until a month or so ago, now I detect a slightly hard shift to 2nd sometimes when I'm just covering the gas pedal, so maybe it's starting to show signs of wear.

I'm glad to hear these higher mileages on the Mazda 5 auto-tranny. I hope to get 200,000 miles out of my 5, and if I can get there with the same transmission it would be very impressive.

Of course, I'm doing the transmission flush every 30,000 miles with 3 behind me and another due at the 120,000 mark.

I think my biggest problem is driving in traffic. I tend to revert to my old aggressive self when the roads start to pack up tight, which means I'm making the transmission downshift hard more than I'd like. Otherwise, I baby this transmission.

I'm glad to hear these higher mileages on the Mazda 5 auto-tranny. I hope to get 200,000 miles out of my 5, and if I can get there with the same transmission it would be very impressive.

Of course, I'm doing the transmission flush every 30,000 miles with 3 behind me and another due at the 120,000 mark.

I think my biggest problem is driving in traffic. I tend to revert to my old aggressive self when the roads start to pack up tight, which means I'm making the transmission downshift hard more than I'd like. Otherwise, I baby this transmission.
My 2012 isn't babied. Just turned 105K miles. 50K tranny flush interval that I do myself so its had 2 already. It travels up and down 5500feet grade ...lots of shifting. I plan to keep it till 150K which is another 2 years, so if the tranny makes it great. After that back to a Tier 1 manufacturer for me. Had many a mazda/subaru, no more. Tired of low quality products, regardless of the cheap pries.

I have 185,000 miles on my 2009 Grand Touring model. Havent had any problems. Mostly freeway driving.

My 2008 Mazda5 GT 5-spd manual, purchased brand new in 2008, now has, and I can't believe I'm saying this, 489,000km (305,000mi+) on it. Most has been highway. Never touched the motor at all except for spark plugs, fluids, belts, filters. It currently burns no oil between changes. I believe it isn't quite a peppy as it was when new, but it's not bad. Lots of tires, brake pads, rotors, shocks (once), and it's starting to rust around the rear wheel wells. I changed the transmission fluid once. Clutch is still fine.

So, I'd say, if you keep up on regular maintenance, and don't drive it hard, yes, the 5 has LOTS of life in it.

Ive been considering a 5 to replace my protege5, but my wife does not want a minivan in the driveway. Even though its a mini-minivan! Her 3rd gen rav4 is bigger than these things!

Logic and women are often separated
Ive been considering a 5 to replace my protege5, but my wife does not want a minivan in the driveway. Even though its a mini-minivan! Her 3rd gen rav4 is bigger than these things!

Mine, *12 sport, made 206,000 before the manual trans dropped. Otherwise brakes and rear shocks.

Back