2017~2024 2018 Mazda CX-5 Engine Performance and A/C in Hot Climate

Scott1

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
I'm seriously considering leasing a 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring. I really like what I've seen.

I live in the southwestern U.S. where the summer temps are consistently in the upper 90's to lower 100's between May and September. It can easily still be 90 degrees at 11:00 p.m. during these months and it is common for the typical summer daytime high to hit 100 degrees.

My concern is that the 2.5L, 187 hp, 4 cylinder engine is not a turbo nor is it just a bit higher on the HP. My previous experience with non-turbo 4 cylinder engines is that they do a poor job running the A/C during the summer months in my climate.

The maximum fan blower speed was not that strong on my previous 4 cylinder vehicles and the engine tended to bog down when running the A/C. It is not fun stepping into a car that has been sitting outside for a couple of hours in 100 degree temps and having an inadequate A/C. Even with tinted windows.

I love the CX-5 in every other way, but the engine performance with regard to the A/C for my geographic region is a major concern. I don't want to be uncomfortable when driving it for 1/3 of the year due to a weak A/C.

What are your experiences with this engine in the hotter climates? Does the CX-5 do a good job keeping the vehicle cool even in extreme summer temperatures?

Thank you.

In our area we regularly see weeks of 110-112, even as high as 115-118 in the summer.

The cooling ability of the A/C system, or the engine cooling has never a problem with any of our WHITE CX-5's, with CLOTH interior.

NOTE** We do not have any garage, carport or shade, so we use an aftermarket front windshield SUNSHADE while parked...Makes a big difference.

I have similar concerns when I purchased my 2018 CX-5 FWD Touring. I live in San Antonio where temps range at 95 degrees or higher during the summer. One reason I got the CX-5 over the Forester (besides the price) was the CX-5 Touring has the rear air vents and the Forester did not. But I did get the maximum tint allowed in Texas. So far, the kids have not complained like they did when I had a Chevy Equinox. But temps so far only got into the high 80s. My advice is to get quality window tint and use a front windshield shade.

In our area we regularly see weeks of 110-112, even as high as 115-118 in the summer.

The cooling ability of the A/C system, or the engine cooling has never a problem with any of our WHITE CX-5's, with CLOTH interior.

NOTE** We do not have any garage, carport or shade, so we use an aftermarket front windshield SUNSHADE while parked...Makes a big difference.

The Central Valley has got to be the second hottest place in the country after southern AZ!
But it's a dry heat, and that's no joke. :)

⋯ My concern is that the 2.5L, 187 hp, 4 cylinder engine is not a turbo nor is it just a bit higher on the HP. My previous experience with non-turbo 4 cylinder engines is that they do a poor job running the A/C during the summer months in my climate.

What are your experiences with this engine in the hotter climates? Does the CX-5 do a good job keeping the vehicle cool even in extreme summer temperatures?
If you're looking for a CX-9, weak AC concern may be legit. But for CX-5, I haven't heard any complaints here. AC in my CX-5 during hot summer in Dallas is fine.

Among all compact CUVs on the market right now, CX-5 has one of the best engines you can find. Even with turbo like Honda CR-V, its maximum horsepower is only 190 hp. Unless you want to wait for 2019 Toyota RAV4 which will have 203~206 hp from a naturally aspirated 2.5L I4, your concerns on leasing a CX-5 are invalid.

Someone would actually be able to tell the difference with 13 horsepower? I doubt it. There is more to the equation than hp numbers.

If the air conditioning unit in the 2018 CX-5 is the same/similar as the Mazda 6, it should have no issues keeping your vehicle cool.

Over here, my departed 2015 Mazda 6 had no issues keeping things cool during our (Sydney Australia) hot summers where tempeatures varied from 30C to 40C (86F to 104C) and even hotter in the outer western suburbs

I would steer clear of the all black interior if you have concerns. I just bought the 2018 a couple months ago and yet to test it in anything over 80 degrees, but so far it seems like it would be ok. Time will tell as we approach the scorching summer months:'(

I would steer clear of the all black interior if you have concerns. I just bought the 2018 a couple months ago and yet to test it in anything over 80 degrees, but so far it seems like it would be ok. Time will tell as we approach the scorching summer months:'(

Just cover the seat(s) with a towel when exiting the vehicle

Among all compact CUVs on the market right now, CX-5 has one of the best engines you can find. Even with turbo like Honda CR-V, its maximum horsepower is only 190 hp. Unless you want to wait for 2019 Toyota RAV4 which will have 203~206 hp from a naturally aspirated 2.5L I4, your concerns on leasing a CX-5 are invalid.
After everything that's going on with Honda and that POS 1.5 turbo, I'd be concerned about driving a CR-V in any weather conditions.
It's already known that in cold weather, that mediocre engine can't keep itself warm, let alone the passengers.
How it will perform in hot weather, trying to keep things cool, is anyone's guess. I wouldn't put much faith in it.
My Mazda 6 has less interior volume to try and keep cool compared to the CX-5, but during my recent stay in Florida in February, the A/C worked great.
The temps during the day hit the mid 80's regularly.

I have an all black (leather no less) interior and live in Texas. No issues at all.

"80s" lol. A better test is full sun soak all afternoon at 115 ambient. Inside the car temp could easily be 140s.

I also opted for the Touring vs. the Grand because there was a cloth insert in the seat vs. all leather. I had an Acura MDX before my touring and the full on leather seats was a buzz kill whether it was too hot or too cold, and that's pretty much 90% of the year.

I would have loved the heated steering wheel and heads up display if that also didn't include full leather seats, so I took the mid level model. I think the cloth inserts are totally worth the added weather benefits.

Back