2016 CX-9 subtle jerking at low speed

shjin404

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
My 2016 CX-9 jerks slightly at low speed sometimes. The sensation feels like I've been rear-ended very slightly in a way that car pushes forward abruptly. This usually happens at low speed and engine is cold, not much time after I started the car. This bothers me, but I am not able to reproduce at will, so I've been postponing to bring the issue to my dealer.

Anyone else experience this?

I had that happen a few times when the car was cold. It happens when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear... kind of like when u let the clutch out too quick. It only happens very rarely. Usually I would go easier on the throttle when that occurs and it goes away once it warms up.

My 2016 CX-9 jerks slightly at low speed sometimes. The sensation feels like I've been rear-ended very slightly in a way that car pushes forward abruptly. This usually happens at low speed and engine is cold, not much time after I started the car. This bothers me, but I am not able to reproduce at will, so I've been postponing to bring the issue to my dealer.

Anyone else experience this?
Check the manual for proper warm up when starting the car. Mazda recommends a short warm up period to allow rpm's to drop from 1500 or so to about 1000. It takes about 15 seconds. The jerking should subside. I've also noticed a different response in lower gears when the car is cold and as suggested just take it easy on the throttle until it fully warms and you should be ok. See the dealer if this doesn't help. Good luck!

I have experienced this as well when cold. I usually put in “manual” shift mode to control the shift from 1st to 2nd during the short warm up period. After the short warm up the vehicle shifts as expected.

I had that happen a few times when the car was cold. It happens when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear... kind of like when u let the clutch out too quick. It only happens very rarely. Usually I would go easier on the throttle when that occurs and it goes away once it warms up.

Good to know that I am not the only one experiencing this. Now I am less concerned.

I am still curious why this happens with Mazda CX-9 though. I have owned other cards Honda CR-V and Honda Odyssey and I've not experienced it (even though I've never done any warm-up of engine before driving).

Does this have anything to do with CX-9 being turbo engine?

It happens to the CX-5 also and all Skyactiv technology cars. Again, check the owners manual. It's normal.

Check the manual for proper warm up when starting the car. Mazda recommends a short warm up period to allow rpm's to drop from 1500 or so to about 1000. It takes about 15 seconds. The jerking should subside. I've also noticed a different response in lower gears when the car is cold and as suggested just take it easy on the throttle until it fully warms and you should be ok. See the dealer if this doesn't help. Good luck!

It happens to the CX-5 also and all Skyactiv technology cars. Again, check the owners manual. It's normal.

I am not able to find any reference on engine warm-up from the owner's manual. Can you point me where I can find such from owner's manual?

I have searched all occurrences of "warm", "rpm", "1000", "1500" and even "jerk", but none were about recommendation for engine warm-up before driving.
https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/owners-optimized/2016/cx9/2016-cx-9-owners-manual.pdf

I am not able to find any reference on engine warm-up from the owner's manual. Can you point me where I can find such from owner's manual?

I have searched all occurrences of "warm", "rpm", "1000", "1500" and even "jerk", but none were about recommendation for engine warm-up before driving.
https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/owners-optimized/2016/cx9/2016-cx-9-owners-manual.pdf
Check page 4-8.

8. After starting the engine, let it idle for
about ten seconds.

Doesn't mention rpms. I'm sure I saw that on the CX-5 forum. I searched for 'starting'. Many occurrences. I stopped at the first that was applicable.

I guess it is the same problem as the first gen. I had this issue after about 5 years of ownership. It gets worse as the car gets older. I warm it up till the rpms go down to 1k then when i drive i take it easy until the temp is at the halfway point normal operating temp and i have went through the gears at least once. Hope this helps.

When the transmission is cold, it does not shift as smoothly in the lower gears. I think it's due to the transmission balancing the act of using the torque converter slip and deciding on when to lock the torque converter with it's clutch pack. It tries to do this balancing act when the parameters are not up to temp.

In normal (warm) operation, the torque converter is used at low speeds or when starting from a stop. After that, it's on the clutch pack, even between shifts. But when cold, I guess it has a harder time doing this more smoothly.

My CX5 experiences this in the mornings when cold and at low speeds, but goes away when warm. I adjust to it by driving lightly to make the transmission shifts more smooth. Our CX9 is MUCH smoother when cold, but I can tell it's still doing it's best to be smooth till it's up to normal operating temps.

Here's a video explaining how this works. This video came out when Mazda released this Skyactiv tech. It's been many years with plenty of improvement over time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqHGnfnQPk4

sounds like you are on the throttle threshold.....you are actually sitting your foot pressure at the point where its on/off...on/off the throttle. The jerk you feel is the throttle activating the injectors refuelling the cylinders. Just select a lower gear or put it into sport mode....

Back