Stopping that incessant rattle from the rear CX-5 hatch

AZJoeD

:
Mazda CX5 GT
Last edited:
After doing this, now I have rattle from those two side black winglets, at the spoiler. On the passenger side.

I was really hoping that my rattle would be coming from these bolts as it's an easy fix. Popped the covers off, nope, nuts are nice and tight. I know the noise is coming from the hatch I just can't pinpoint where. I'm thinking from the plastic panels on the exterior between the spoiler and the glass, not quite sure how to get those off though.

I was really hoping that my rattle would be coming from these bolts as it's an easy fix. Popped the covers off, nope, nuts are nice and tight. I know the noise is coming from the hatch I just can't pinpoint where. I'm thinking from the plastic panels on the exterior between the spoiler and the glass, not quite sure how to get those off though.

I believe, that the spoiler has to come off. I have tried removing it and I have broke both plastic tabs/holders.
I have ordered new ones from the bay.
They are too loosely mounted, from the factory. I will have to apply some double sided tape, to take out the "play" and then pop them back in.
Mine is on the passenger side. The other side is quite.

Hi all! Noobe here. Just bought a '16 CX5 G.T. 2 days ago... Heard the rattle driving home from buying it, and after reading this thread, went out and popped off those two outer round plug covers, and voila! the pass. side nut fell to the floor! put some loctite on, and retightened both sides! My first fix on this car! Thanks M247 Forum!
EDIT/UPDATE- Next day, took it out and, crap! Noise still there! Then I noticed the two "wings" tend to loosely move around and rattle if I tap them with a finger. Who designed these things? So i'm doing some rubber/felt insert mods to make it stop. We'll see...

Last edited:
Update #2- further checking had me taking off that interior center trim plastic piece on the top of the hatch. This exposed two more nuts that hold the spoiler on. One nut was only barely finger-tight! After tightening both nuts (adding some locktite), I reinstalled the trim cover. Now on to the 2 side wings under the spoiler ends. I took some thin black felt I had found recently at Hobby Lobby. This thin felt comes in rectangle sheets, and has adhesive backing. Great stuff! Traced the pattern and cut 2 triangles to fit under the wings next to the glass. Pressed them in-invisible, but keeps the plastic wings from tapping "morse code" on the glass over bumps. Next, I took a 5" length of some 1/8" round nitrile rubber (like O-ring material) and carefully wedged it in the loose gap on the top of the wing where it meets the spoiler's edge- also invisible. Now the wings are snug in all directions, and quiet. We'll see if it holds up...

Update #2- further checking had me taking off that interior center trim plastic piece on the top of the hatch. This exposed two more nuts that hold the spoiler on. One nut was only barely finger-tight! After tightening both nuts (adding some locktite), I reinstalled the trim cover. Now on to the 2 side wings under the spoiler ends. I took some thin black felt I had found recently at Hobby Lobby. This thin felt comes in rectangle sheets, and has adhesive backing. Great stuff! Traced the pattern and cut 2 triangles to fit under the wings next to the glass. Pressed them in-invisible, but keeps the plastic wings from tapping "morse code" on the glass over bumps. Next, I took a 5" length of some 1/8" round nitrile rubber (like O-ring material) and carefully wedged it in the loose gap on the top of the wing where it meets the spoiler's edge- also invisible. Now the wings are snug in all directions, and quiet. We'll see if it holds up...

I'm curious how this fix worked for you? I've had the same squeak. I took it to my dealership a year ago and they popped off the plastic circles on either side holding the spoiler. One was completely off! They had to fish it out of the tailgate somehow. But over the past year its been fine. Well it's started squeaking again so I checked the two bolts under those round plastic caps but they are there and secure. But that plastic interior piece under the window is kinda loose. Are you saying that if I take this plastic piece off that there are two more nuts and bolts under there that holds the spoiler on? I wasn't sure how to take that plastic long piece off. I was afraid I was gonna break it.

This was the case for me as well. I did tighten those up and the rattle still went on. I took this damn thing apart several times and nothing helped. Turned out that my rattle came from mid rear seat. The bracket where it clamps to the adjacent seats was not holding on 100%. I use a piece of rag over the clamp. Noise is gone for good.

This was the case for me as well. I did tighten those up and the rattle still went on. I took this damn thing apart several times and nothing helped. Turned out that my rattle came from mid rear seat. The bracket where it clamps to the adjacent seats was not holding on 100%. I use a piece of rag over the clamp. Noise is gone for good.

Hi could you please elaborate further, i have this annoying rattle for 3 months now that i could not locate.

Thank you for this information. The noise was driving me crazy! Had to tighten one side up as it was very loose and now the noise is gone.

Another thing that causes a slight rattle is a thing cord in the rear by the spare tire. This is taped down but the tape dries out and the cord actually makes a loud rattling noise. Drove me nuts for months till I found it.

Latest posts

Back